ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

So sorry to hear that. Amazed that the dog hasn't been complaining though. Very brave.
Up until today theres been no indication shes ill, apart from the weight loss obviously -
The vets have given her morphine today so they obviosly think shes in pain - but shes still bright eyed and waggy tailed*

To be honest thats the worst she is still a happy want my walk dogs - so hasent given up - but she just wont/ cant eat -

*Obviously a lot tougher than me Im still crying about fridays breadknife finger interface note to all bread knifes leave a gaping jagged painfull wound that wont heal easily - carving knifes are bliss in comparison

Well isnt it a cheerfull thread at the nonce** and regretebly I find myself compelled to further urinate on everyones pomme frites

Shitlips her of sister to @jarrod248 cuddle the bear dog of fame is not well

She has over the last few months - despte eating as per - lost 12 kilos (37 - 25 /26 or there abouts) all tests blood iron diabetes etc have come back in the clear Nothing showing as wrong except what was quite a powerfully built land shark now resembles Karen carpenter in a rug

Thursday is now the last time she ate - she is even refusing digestive biscuits** and roast chicken stock

An emergency scan today (and apologies to J who id just finished telling we couldnt get an appointment at short notice (monday) - but then got one for today as a i you can get here 5 minutes ago ill do it now type thing) has confirmed stomach cancer.

Up until tonight she was still happy wanting her walks so ive said monday is the decision day
If shes eating and they can operate / medication helps then we will pay/ do whatevers needed but if she still hasent eaten I cannot watch my dog starve to death - we need to make that call ourselves.

Obviously chez nous is not Frances funnest establishment or for that matter cleanest as there seems to be a lot of dust around.

*That may be spelt wrong in this context
**She can usually detect a digestive break at 500M and be at your side before the 1st crumb hits the deck - In 8 years its the only thing shes ever stolen out my hand (and I was so gobsmacked she didnt get her arse kicked)
Cancer is such a bastard. If the vet has given her pain-relief maybe she'll feel better once it's kicked in. Here's hoping she can be tempted to eat before they see her again on Monday.

Up until today theres been no indication shes ill, apart from the weight loss obviously -
The vets have given her morphine today so they obviosly think shes in pain - but shes still bright eyed and waggy tailed*

To be honest thats the worst she is still a happy want my walk dogs - so hasent given up - but she just wont/ cant eat -

*Obviously a lot tougher than me Im still crying about fridays breadknife finger interface note to all bread knifes leave a gaping jagged painfull wound that wont heal easily - carving knifes are bliss in comparison
We cross-posted.

Two things occur to me: it maybe that her stomach is no longer producing ghrelin (aka the 'hungry' hormone) so she doesn't feel hungry and has no appetite, rather than she's not eating because she physically can't or it's too painful. The cancer may also be making her feel 'full'.

And the other thing - how many fingers have you got left now? A breadknife as a weapon of choice for self-mutilation is rather uncivilised, more Russian Army style.

We cross-posted.

Two things occur to me: it maybe that her stomach is no longer producing ghrelin (aka the 'hungry' hormone) so she doesn't feel hungry and has no appetite, rather than she's not eating because she physically can't or it's too painful. The cancer may also be making her feel 'full'.
Women have tits men have dicks anything more technical than thats way way above my paygrade - I wont even pretend to have a clue as to whats going on - although given symptoms i think youve hit the nail on the head.

And the other thing - how many fingers have you got left now? A breadknife as a weapon of choice for self-mutilation is rather uncivilised, more Russian Army style.

Fair comment and on that note I am in trouble fot teaching my young niece gimme a high 3 apparently her school has an issue with it

I most definitely share your pain. When the time comes, she'll know you'll do the right thing and if that means saying goodbye, she'll appreciate it. The bastard is, they can't tell you what's wrong, you have to read the signs.
Landsharks, love 'em to bits.

A positive update - sharing because im really happy

After 2 days refusing to eat - even her favourite foods - she has finally tonight decided to eat something -

Am currently hand feeding the dog as much of a roast chicken as she will eat. t does mean tommorrows roast is now vegetarian but, you know, ill take the hit

How old is she?
Has the vet looked at an intestinal blockage? socks/wood/the local cat?
I'm hoping it's something simple and she'll be up and about soon. Good luck to you and "shitlips"

How old is she?
Has the vet looked at an intestinal blockage? socks/wood/the local cat?
I'm hoping it's something simple and she'll be up and about soon. Good luck to you and "shitlips"
Shes 8 and despite all the test saying nothing wrong eg not anemic - this afternoons scan was a pretty conclusive - cancer stomach lining.

To be honest im learning more by the hour SWMBO very upset - et spoke very fast medically technical French and I was to preoccupied talking to and calming an increasingly distressed dog

Treatment would remove 75% of stomach - in her current state the operation is too much .

The vets given Cortozone a side effect of which is it makes them think they are hungry all the time - Which in this instance is a positive

Shes 8 and despite all the test saying nothing wrong eg not anemic - this afternoons scan was a pretty conclusive - cancer stomach lining.

To be honest im learning more by the hour SWMBO very upset - et spoke very fast medically technical French and I was to preoccupied talking to and calming an increasingly distressed dog

Treatment would remove 75% of stomach - in her current state the operation is too much .
:(

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer

The vets given Cortozone a side effect of which is it makes them think they are hungry all the time - Which in this instance is a positive
Poor girl. Hope she isn’t in too much pain.

Well isnt it a cheerfull thread at the nonce** and regretebly I find myself compelled to further urinate on everyones pomme frites

She has over the last few months - despte eating as per - lost 12 kilos (37 - 25 /26 or there abouts) all tests blood iron diabetes etc have come back in the clear Nothing showing as wrong except what was quite a powerfully built land shark now resembles Karen carpenter in a rug

Thursday is now the last time she ate - she is even refusing digestive biscuits** and roast chicken stock

An emergency scan today (and apologies to J who id just finished telling we couldnt get an appointment at short notice (monday) - but then got one for today as a i you can get here 5 minutes ago ill do it now type thing) has confirmed stomach cancer.

Up until tonight she was still happy wanting her walks so ive said monday is the decision day
If shes eating and they can operate / medication helps then we will pay/ do whatevers needed but if she still hasent eaten I cannot watch my dog starve to death - we need to make that call ourselves.

Obviously chez nous is not Frances funnest establishment or for that matter cleanest as there seems to be a lot of dust around.

**She can usually detect a digestive break at 500M and be at your side before the 1st crumb hits the deck - In 8 years its the only thing shes ever stolen out my hand (and I was so gobsmacked she didnt get her arse kicked)
Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

I expect that on cortisone and morphine she'll be feeling better than she has for quite a while and it may be that the vet would be prepared to keep her on them (as long as they are managing her symptoms and the side effects are minimal) to buy you more time.

Feeding little and often is probably the key since so much of her stomach is affected. The main thing to keep telling yourself is she doesn't know how sick she is. Over here, a canine oncologist can manage the symptoms up to a point with the right drug regime to retain her enthusiasm for life, it all depends on how fast the cancer is spreading and whether it metastasises.

I'm guessing you have referral oncology vets in France too, and that might be a question for your visit on Monday if she is okay tomorrow. I'd also be asking if the vets checked for metastasis on her lungs and liver when they scanned her, as that would be a big factor in my decision process.

wheel

LE
I expect that on cortisone and morphine she'll be feeling better than she has for quite a while and it may be that the vet would be prepared to keep her on them (as long as they are managing her symptoms and the side effects are minimal) to buy you more time.

Feeding little and often is probably the key since so much of her stomach is affected. The main thing to keep telling yourself is she doesn't know how sick she is. Over here, a canine oncologist can manage the symptoms up to a point with the right drug regime to retain her enthusiasm for life, it all depends on how fast the cancer is spreading and whether it metastasises.

I'm guessing you have referral oncology vets in France too, and that might be a question for your visit on Monday if she is okay tomorrow. I'd also be asking if the vets checked for metastasis on her lungs and liver when they scanned her, as that would be a big factor in my decision process.
Wish I could give you an excellent and informative for that post.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Her fat brother walked past me with my dinner on my knee and licked up a sausage! I couldn’t speak. Greedy fat get. Truly sorry to hear and only seems two minutes since we rescued the pair of scruffs.

Wish I could give you an excellent and informative for that post.
Cheers. I'm happy to pass on what I learned from my experiences with wee Brodie. He's been gone two years this Tuesday and it still seems like yesterday.

Her fat brother walked past me with my dinner on my knee and licked up a sausage! I couldn’t speak. Greedy fat get. Truly sorry to hear and only seems two minutes since we rescued the pair of scruffs.
Your only sausage too, no doubt. Do Yorkshire folk only have one sausage for the whole week or is that the Scots?

@Lindermyer sorry to hear about your girl. Sending positive thoughts to all x

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers. I'm happy to pass on what I learned from my experiences with wee Brodie. He's been gone two years this Tuesday and it still seems like yesterday.

Your only sausage too, no doubt. Do Yorkshire folk only have one sausage for the whole week or is that the Scots?
I’d two but that’s not the point, was sheer fat dog thievery.

So very sorry to hear.

Latest Threads