ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You'd be suprised - we help out a few dog rescue charities - mainly with transport, occasionally with short-term fostering (my grown-up lads have that pleasure) a lot of the animal charities won't let breed-specific charities get involved - purely for money and 'fund-raising' guilting of the new owners, they don't give a shit about the dogs future in terms of rehoming them with people that have experience of whatever breed the dog is. The one in Wales is in the process of being rehomed with a fitness trainer with a husky and a seven year old kid, despite the profile saying no kids and may be ok with other dogs. You can see he is bewildered and not at all happy in his face, poor sod.
That is just asking for trouble, and when it goes wrong they'll blame it on the breed, speaking as a former Rottie owner. When my son was born I was way more concerned about how the current dogs (terriers) would re-act than I would have been if the Rotties had been there. All worked out well, but my experiences with rescues (the establishment not the dogs) hasn't been top notch,. We adpopted the two Rotties who had had a very hard life as breeding bitches and a couple of weeks later were asked by the rescue to go and assess the home of another potential adopter despite us having no experience of doing so.

We still support the rescue because they do good work overall under difficult circumstances. Shame the council down here don't clap down a bit more on the puppy farms as they do if you put out more than the prescribed number of bin bags each week.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done you and I look forward to seeing more of Nyla in the future.
I've got next week off work and the Mrs. has the week after so she'll have company other than Ruby to settle in with, she's definitely a 'flight risk' for now so will be on-lead whilst we're out until she relaxes a bit more. Her skin & coat isn't in great condition but she's not been on the best diet - easily sorted though! I don't want to criticise her previous owners carers too much as they did the best they could and recognised that she needed more than they could give her and breed traits were not compatible with their lifestyle and work.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Ritch

LE
How is Poppy doing mate?

She's still slowly improving. Today her stump did an erratic wag when I mentioned something to eat. I'm very pleased with her as on Monday I thought we were about to lose her. This infection has knocked the stuffing out of her but to say she's nearly 13, she's doing absolutely fantastic.

Thanks to you and everyone else here for keeping me going!

Lovely dog. What breed. She looks a bit like mine who says she's a Deutsche Jagd Terrier but we don't entirely believe her and think she told porkies on her CV.

Near as we can tell StaffxLab so a Mongrol.
Possibly immortal.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Poor pup is so worn out she's failed the pizza crust test....
1642362525969.jpeg

It is suggested well-worth clicking-on the Facebook link to view ;) .

Blogg

LE
Morning Notes for dogs.

06.00. Wake human slave up. Methods vary but barking and howling traditional . Nosing doors open and frantic trampling usually most effective.

06.30: Having scouted garden for intruders, barked at other dogs barking or initiated the morning bark, have a wee and maybe a dump, then demand food

07.00, light permitting: Romp in woods. Try not to let your human take the shorter routes that avoid ponds

08.00: Home. Wander about for a bit whilst drying off. Attempt to steal any food your human may leave unguarded. Lie in the most inconvenience spots possible. Directly in front of fridge for example

08.15: Further food opportunities exhausted, back to sleep.

Your human may now attend to any other duties

Blind pit bull and his inked-up owner.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I had to write a boring report the other day but I got bored and decided to teach the chaps to 'take post' instead. It serves the practical purpose of keeping them engaged and away from the front door whilst I take delivery of whatever tat my womenfolk have squandered my hard earned on and it reminds me of what I could have achieved with the soldiers under my command if only I'd had a box of Bonios.

1642621956381.png

I had to write a boring report the other day but I got bored and decided to teach the chaps to 'take post' instead. It serves the practical purpose of keeping them engaged and away from the front door whilst I take delivery of whatever tat my womenfolk have squandered my hard earned on and it reminds me of what I could have achieved with the soldiers under my command if only I'd had a box of Bonios.

View attachment 632721
Dog Soldiers

Blind pit bull and his inked-up owner.

A few years ago I took a greyhound to a vet, for a rescue. They couldn't work out if the dog was blind. He was unsure of steps but apart from that fine but odd.
I picked him up and walked along the lane so he could do what he needed to. He sniffed trees and walked round posts. He stood by my car bit wouldn't jump in. As I picked him up I noticed his whiskers were standing up.
In the car he was fine, lifted him out at the vet and he walked in through the middle of the doorway. Seemed a bit stressed but fine. In to the consulting room again right in the middle of the doorway.
Vet checks his eyes, no blood vessels in the back of his eyes, blind from birth. He then turned to leave and banged into the door post.
He had raced, how a dog can do 40+ mph without seeing amazes me.
He was rehomed soon after.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A few years ago I took a greyhound to a vet, for a rescue. They couldn't work out if the dog was blind. He was unsure of steps but apart from that fine but odd.
I picked him up and walked along the lane so he could do what he needed to. He sniffed trees and walked round posts. He stood by my car bit wouldn't jump in. As I picked him up I noticed his whiskers were standing up.
In the car he was fine, lifted him out at the vet and he walked in through the middle of the doorway. Seemed a bit stressed but fine. In to the consulting room again right in the middle of the doorway.
Vet checks his eyes, no blood vessels in the back of his eyes, blind from birth. He then turned to leave and banged into the door post.
He had raced, how a dog can do 40+ mph without seeing amazes me.
He was rehomed soon after.

Steptoe and Son walt! :)

Latest Threads