ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Dogs eh...bloody things. Annoying and lovely at the same time.

My boy is in a box on the mantelpiece , we now have a puppy in the shape of daughters hound. I bollock her and tell her to cut it out or big lad will kick her arse!

I still have tears about my boy when nobody is looking.

wheel

LE

My boy is in a box on the mantelpiece , we now have a puppy in the shape of daughters hound. I bollock her and tell her to cut it out or big lad will kick her arse!

I still have tears for my boy and dont give **** who is looking.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

The alternative was not to have known your boy, and how much sadder would that have been for both of you.

I still have tears for my boy and dont give **** who is looking.
As a kid I used to admire actors who could cry 'on demand' and always wondered what they had to think of to achieve that. As an adult and having, so far, to say goodnight to 3 dogs, I can turn into a blubbering wreck in less than 4 seconds.

Not sure if this poem has been posted on this thread before (I am a latecomer to this thread (God knows why) and I cannot read back all of it)).

If you are suceptable to emotions at present scroll by.

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead November 18th 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor's art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Masters own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonour'd falls, unnotic'd all his worth,
Deny'd in heaven the Soul he held on earth.
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debas'd by slavery, or corrupt by power,
Who knows thee well, must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit,
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye! who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on, it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend's remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one — and here he lies.

Lord George Byron

theinventor

War Hero
On a lighter note, the pups seem to have the Dane inherent fear of string: I can keep them out of this half of the kitchen with a short length of masking tape.
IMG_20220115_084053.jpg
We took note of the caution a few expressed earlier on about having two from the same litter, and they're turning out to have quite different personalities. The boy is classic Dane: chilled and soppy and would sleep all day if you let him. The girl is much more alert and inquisitive, she watches the birds in the trees and tries to stalk them in the garden. I think she may have had a spaniel brain installed by mistake!

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
We also have a Leonberger and I can echo your comments re brushing & shedding. It's a no-stop process. All worth it as they are a wonderful dog.
Super-friendly with the family and a good guard.
View attachment 607892
'er indoors' family in the Eastern Bloc had one as a guard dog (they have a house dog, usually a dachshund or similar, and something a bit bigger for fending off unwanted visitors).

The first time I went there I opened the car door on arrival and was face to face with him which was a little perturbing. He was friendly enough though as I'd turned up with 'er indoors who he knew, and therefore I was allowed onto the farm which is enclosed by barns in a hollow square, a bit like a fort.

Any visitors were supposed to ring the bell outside the main gates and wait to be invited in. It was suprising the number of people who didn't do this and just walked in despite the warning signs. His method of dealing with them was to sink his teeth into their arrse, and propel them back out the way they came, a bit like a bouncer walking somebody out in an arm lock. His record before he died was 11 including the local mayor. The general consensus in the village was "Ring the bell and wait, and you won't get teeth marks in your buttocks". NFA police wise.

My father-in-law had got him from the dog rescue where he had rocked up and asked for the biggest dog they had as their previous guard dog had died. He seemed ideal as his CV said he had previously guarded a scrap yard and so he got the job. Unfortunately it transpired that he'd probably been sacked for a complete lack of guarding ability as he welcomed all visitors and refused to bark at anything. Apparently my father-in-law took the dog's head in both hands and told him if he didn't start barking and scaring people a bit more, he was going back to the dogs' home. This had the desired effect and he started meeting the job description.

He loved me as on returning from a very heavy drinking session with 'er indoors' friends, I threw up on the yard and he promptly devoured the residude. He couldn't have been happier if I'd have brought him a kebab home. Before I met her, 'er indoors had driven over him, or at least his tail as he had a habit of sleeping underneath cars and she had driven off unaware he was there.

A gentle giant but you wouldn't want to be a burglar.

RIP, Muf.

20220115_081646.jpg
20220115_081644.jpg

Lumpy Lil woke up feeling frisky today running around like a pup.

Choux Bun

Old-Salt
Yes I know you want to sit here,,, but I'm giving you a stiff ignoring. I'm comfy and watching something... leave me be!!

Attachments

• 20200626_160259.jpg
    20200626_160259.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
An update on our search for a pal for Ruby...
There was Malcolm - didn't go well when he took a chunk out of her ear.

Then we were made aware of another three year old male Ridgeback in kennels at a rescue cente in Wales, they wouldn't let a breed-specific charity help in rehoming so we contacted them directly, the silence was deafening....
We found out from someone-that-knows-someone-that-knows-sombody-there, that we weren't Welsh enough...
1642272781737.jpeg

I hope he gets a good home, even if it is in Wales....

Today, we went to see another Ridgeback, a two-year old female, who is being rehomed because she's 'too much of a Ridgeback' in personality and behaviour. To be fair, the owners have done a great job with her, mostly. And I admire their courage in giving up their dog (they have a ten year old French Bulldog as well) for the dogs benefit rather than struggling along - anyway, we took her out with Ruby, who seemed a bit wary of her for five minutes or so, despite many play bows and 'play with me' barks....
And then she gave in, they chased around for a good twenty minutes, snapping and barking and mouthing....
So now they're both at our home, worn out.

Meet Nyla
1642273414713.jpeg

Fast asleep, on her blanket, on Rubys bed, with Pennys blanket over her....

Unsuprisingly, she's not at all confident yet, but she's had a good look round, a bit of a play with Ruby in the garden and obviously feels secure enough to have a snooze.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Then we were made aware of another three year old male Ridgeback in kennels at a rescue cente in Wales, they wouldn't let a breed-specific charity help in rehoming so we contacted them directly, the silence was deafening....
We found out from someone-that-knows-someone-that-knows-sombody-there, that we weren't Welsh enough...
View attachment 631673

Today, we went to see another Ridgeback, a two-year old female, who is being rehomed because she's 'too much of a Ridgeback' in personality and behaviour. To be fair, the owners have done a great job with her, mostly. And I admire their courage in giving up their dog (they have a ten year old French Bulldog as well) for the dogs benefit rather than struggling along - anyway, we took her out with Ruby, who seemed a bit wary of her for five minutes or so, despite many play bows and 'play with me' barks....
And then she gave in, they chased around for a good twenty minutes, snapping and barking and mouthing....

Meet Nyla
View attachment 631684

Unsuprisingly, she's not at all confident yet, but she's had a good look round, a bit of a play with Ruby in the garden and obviously feels secure enough to have a snooze.
That's excellent. Well done you. And lucky her to have found a good place to live.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt

View attachment 631673

Meet Nyla
View attachment 631684

Hope all turns out well which I'm sure it will. Shame about the rescue in Wales where I'm originally from and now live again. There's ignorant cnuts wherever you go and thankfully that attitude is not representative of the vast majority here. You'd think that giving a dog in need of a loving home would be their primary concern.

Lovely photos. The first one reminds me of the two Rottie girls we adopted 15 years ago. The same look on the face.

All the best. A sleeping dog is a happy dog.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
... You'd think that giving a dog in need of a loving home would be their primary concern.

You'd be suprised - we help out a few dog rescue charities - mainly with transport, occasionally with short-term fostering (my grown-up lads have that pleasure) a lot of the animal charities won't let breed-specific charities get involved - purely for money and 'fund-raising' guilting of the new owners, they don't give a shit about the dogs future in terms of rehoming them with people that have experience of whatever breed the dog is. The one in Wales is in the process of being rehomed with a fitness trainer with a husky and a seven year old kid, despite the profile saying no kids and may be ok with other dogs. You can see he is bewildered and not at all happy in his face, poor sod.

View attachment 631673

Meet Nyla
View attachment 631684

Thats brilliant ! Long may it continue.

Ritch

LE

View attachment 631673

Meet Nyla
View attachment 631684

Well done you and I look forward to seeing more of Nyla in the future.