ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Hi chaps

Is it possible to upload a video file with having to post it on youtube etc? I have a nice video clip of my son's greyhound charging round the garden like a mad thing but it appears that I can't upload it.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Video needs to be hosted off-site as far as I can tell, it's stopped me putting a few clips up as I really don't want to make a pact with The Devil Google/Youtube

TELEMMGLPICT000275739759.jpeg

Rishi Sunak's dog patiently wondering how much of today's Budget is going to be spent on Kongs, biccies and tennis balls.

Published by: Alluox, via Facebook, on 24 October 2021.

After losing his parents, Roscoe, a 3-year-old orangutan, was so depressed he wouldn't eat and didn't respond to medical treatment. The vets thought he may die from sadness.
The zookeepers found an old sick dog on the grounds in the park at the zoo where the orangutan lived and took the dog to the animal treatment center. The dog arrived at the same time the orangutan was there being treated . . .
The two lost souls met and have been inseparable ever since.
The orangutan found a new reason to live and each of them always tries his best to be a good companion to his newfound friend.
They are together 24 hours a day in all their activities. They live in Northern California where swimming is their favorite pastime.
Although Roscoe (the orangutan) is a little afraid of the water and needs his friend's help to swim. Together they have discovered the joy and laughter in life and the value of friendship.

245360494_201698652102826_2890061486464755570_n.jpg

247082616_201698648769493_6755376026485421549_n.jpg

245973484_201698645436160_4371709599829730970_n.jpg

246526960_201698655436159_7485738631956507515_n.jpg

Video needs to be hosted off-site as far as I can tell, it's stopped me putting a few clips up as I really don't want to make a pact with The Devil Google/Youtube

You and me both... :)

Aphra

Old-Salt
Published by: Alluox, via Facebook, on 24 October 2021.

After losing his parents, Roscoe, a 3-year-old orangutan, was so depressed he wouldn't eat and didn't respond to medical treatment. The vets thought he may die from sadness.
The zookeepers found an old sick dog on the grounds in the park at the zoo where the orangutan lived and took the dog to the animal treatment center. The dog arrived at the same time the orangutan was there being treated . . .
The two lost souls met and have been inseparable ever since.
The orangutan found a new reason to live and each of them always tries his best to be a good companion to his newfound friend.
They are together 24 hours a day in all their activities. They live in Northern California where swimming is their favorite pastime.
Although Roscoe (the orangutan) is a little afraid of the water and needs his friend's help to swim. Together they have discovered the joy and laughter in life and the value of friendship.

245360494_201698652102826_2890061486464755570_n.jpg

247082616_201698648769493_6755376026485421549_n.jpg

245973484_201698645436160_4371709599829730970_n.jpg

246526960_201698655436159_7485738631956507515_n.jpg

I really should do some housework. It's dusty in here....

You and me both... :)
Other places (utreon etc ) need a user to log in. Rock and a hard place. :(
Put something up on that tube and they will come, just don't get all upset if 35 billion people dislike you.
You can make videos private (unlisted) then just let people you trust see them.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
@OneTenner how's Ruby doing?
Thanks for thinking of her - not as well as I'd like to be honest, she's been around other dogs and is fine with them but she's been very restless / listless at home. Most of the wound is healing well but the area around the cartilage is troubling - it's the only area that is causing her pain, it may be that the cartilage is still withering back or as I suspect, the skin around it isn't healing around it because every little sound causes her to swivel her feckin' ears round!
1635521306797.jpeg

1635521325081.jpeg

She's still on antibiotics and I've washed and disinfected her ear every day, strangely she didn't flinch when she stuck her head in a clump of nettles today chasing after a field mouse! (and that's why she's been getting it washed & disinfected every day....) I'll see how she is over the weekend, off to the vets on Monday if there's no improvement - I swear she just gave me 'the eye' as I typed that!

My sister's dawg, Hugo, 2yrs old...

Attachments

• hugo.jpg
    hugo.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 35

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like he's making a break for freedom!

Aphra

Old-Salt
Thanks for thinking of her - not as well as I'd like to be honest, she's been around other dogs and is fine with them but she's been very restless / listless at home. Most of the wound is healing well but the area around the cartilage is troubling - it's the only area that is causing her pain, it may be that the cartilage is still withering back or as I suspect, the skin around it isn't healing around it because every little sound causes her to swivel her feckin' ears round!
View attachment 612574
View attachment 612575

She's still on antibiotics and I've washed and disinfected her ear every day, strangely she didn't flinch when she stuck her head in a clump of nettles today chasing after a field mouse! (and that's why she's been getting it washed & disinfected every day....) I'll see how she is over the weekend, off to the vets on Monday if there's no improvement - I swear she just gave me 'the eye' as I typed that!
Thanks for the update @OneTenner. Yes, Ruby's been on my mind, I think because of how she got hurt and how badly she was hurt. I'd been hoping your potential new adopted dog would be a good fit and when I saw you'd posted, I actually made a cuppa and sat down for a catch up on your story. I know how shocked I was at what you told us, so I can't imagine how awful it must have been for you, and for your lovely Ruby.

It looks as though it's healing ok-ish from the photos and if she's up to chasing field mice (hardly a fair fight, they'll usually win!) that's got to be a good sign but I think you're wise to consider the vet if you think it necessary, even just for peace of mind. Very good news that she's been fine around other dogs. She's a brave girl. More tummy rubs from me, please.

I hope she continues to heal and you continue to regale us with tales of Ruby's war against tiny rodents.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ha! they always win, Penny was the Rodent-catcher-General, Ruby just went along with the chase, never really knowing why.... there's been a few times when she's heard or smelt something in the undergrowth (her eyes are not the best) and stuck her head in only to leap backwards in a similar style to an Arctic Fox but in reverse when something has tickled her nose or she's got a blade of grass up a nostril...

When No.2 Son & I took the pair of them up to Kielder for a few days of wild camping, Penny was wearing herself out digging up mice nests and Squirreling, after a few 'what yer doin' looks over Penny's shoulder, Ruby just lay down and gave her the occasional glance to see if she's caught owt worth sniffing at.... but when she crossed a fox or deer scent trail, she was off at full tilt! Penny would only take over if the quarry was sighted.
1635530032498.jpeg

A split-second after that was taken, Penny buried her face in the clump of grass in front of her and brought out some sort of rodent - couldn't really identify it too well as she'd 'burst' it. Ruby's reaction was to move an ear, possibly two....

Aphra

Old-Salt
Ha! they always win, Penny was the Rodent-catcher-General, Ruby just went along with the chase, never really knowing why.... there's been a few times when she's heard or smelt something in the undergrowth (her eyes are not the best) and stuck her head in only to leap backwards in a similar style to an Arctic Fox but in reverse when something has tickled her nose or she's got a blade of grass up a nostril...

When No.2 Son & I took the pair of them up to Kielder for a few days of wild camping, Penny was wearing herself out digging up mice nests and Squirreling, after a few 'what yer doin' looks over Penny's shoulder, Ruby just lay down and gave her the occasional glance to see if she's caught owt worth sniffing at.... but when she crossed a fox or deer scent trail, she was off at full tilt! Penny would only take over if the quarry was sighted.
View attachment 612624

A split-second after that was taken, Penny buried her face in the clump of grass in front of her and brought out some sort of rodent - couldn't really identify it too well as she'd 'burst' it. Ruby's reaction was to move an ear, possibly two....
Ha ha! I'd definitely want Penny on my team to sort out pest infestations. They get so focused when they're on the scent, don't they? The image of Ruby bouncing backwards, straight legged made me laugh! I've seen it happen more than once. I do love a dog with a sense of humour.

Years ago, I was briefly staying with friends in their city suburb while away for work. Friends had a rescue Labradog (so called because there was clearly lots of Labrador in his ancestry but probably lots of 'just some sort of dog', too) and a very handsome boy. I'll call him Rigsby, for that was his name. Rigsby was a sweetheart but obedience wasn't one of his strong suits. I used to get back from work first, so took it upon myself to take Rigsby out for his early evening walk, and as I knew his route, off we went. Along to the big green to pick up his pee-mail, down past the shops, cross road to big park for hours of snuffling and ignoring thrown balls before trotting home for dinner. Well, we got to the shops alright, but as we approached the bus stop alongside the shops, Rigsby started to limp, front offside. Cue old dears ooh-ing and aww-ing over the poor dog's poorly paw. Mints were fished out of handbags and Rigsby's breath was dramatically improved while I was instructed to get him to a vet, pronto. Worried, I took him straight home, but as we turned the corner, Rigsby's limp disappeared. Hmmm, that's odd. On relating this to Rigsby's owner, she said 'oh, it's the Bingo biddies, he always limps when he sees them, because he knows it gets him sweeties'. They'd had him checked by the vet and nothing was wrong. I didn't believe it but over the couple of months I was there I walked Rigsby many times, at different times of day, always the same route and any other time, queue at bus stop ignored. Early evening, approaching bus stop, Rigsby starts to limp, old dears give him mints, I get the withering glare from the old dears for not looking after him properly. If anyone told me this, I'd file it under 'things that never happened' but I swear it's true. Rigsby was a character and we had a mutual appreciation society where I think I was as happy to see him as he was to see me.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They can be such opportunist malingerers!
Penny scared the life out of me one day, she was at full throttle chasing a grey Squirrel and almost on it (again....) when she dropped onto her side and started kicking one of her back legs out - repeatedly - I must have done the 200m quicker than a Nigerian with a Luncheon voucher (that'll date me!) she was still lying on her side and kicking her leg out with her head twisted so she could look at it, I started doing a primary survey, no blood, no sticks or twigs in her - which was my worry that she's impaled herself on something, she was panting but she had been running for a good while - then I found it... she had a tiny pine cone jammed in her foot between heel pad and toes, (one of the unusual things about her was she didn't have any fur inbetween her toes or the heel pad) I flicked it out with my finger and she was back up in an instant throwing her head around indignantly looking for the next target, honestly, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
After that, if it happened again, she'd generally sit down instantly and stick the affected foot in the air whilst giving me the 'well come on, do your job!' look....

One of the many good things about this thread is reading someone elses' story can trigger memories that you'd struggle to recall if someone asked you for a story about any of your dogs, it's very thought provoking and sometimes inexplicably makes the room very dusty.

Aphra

Old-Salt
They can be such opportunist malingerers!
Penny scared the life out of me one day, she was at full throttle chasing a grey Squirrel and almost on it (again....) when she dropped onto her side and started kicking one of her back legs out - repeatedly - I must have done the 200m quicker than a Nigerian with a Luncheon voucher (that'll date me!) she was still lying on her side and kicking her leg out with her head twisted so she could look at it, I started doing a primary survey, no blood, no sticks or twigs in her - which was my worry that she's impaled herself on something, she was panting but she had been running for a good while - then I found it... she had a tiny pine cone jammed in her foot between heel pad and toes, (one of the unusual things about her was she didn't have any fur inbetween her toes or the heel pad) I flicked it out with my finger and she was back up in an instant throwing her head around indignantly looking for the next target, honestly, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
After that, if it happened again, she'd generally sit down instantly and stick the affected foot in the air whilst giving me the 'well come on, do your job!' look....

One of the many good things about this thread is reading someone elses' story can trigger memories that you'd struggle to recall if someone asked you for a story about any of your dogs, it's very thought provoking and sometimes inexplicably makes the room very dusty.
Penny sounds like a properly bonkers dog. Aside from very clever dogs, sweet but bonkers ones have a special place in my heart. Assuming Penny is no longer with us, I'm picturing her and Rigsby somewhere comparing imaginary ailments like the old dears in the doctor's waiting room, while my retrievers and other 'sensible' dogs look on in bemusement. I struggle to believe in an afterlife as such, but the thought of seeing the dogs I've loved over my lifetime gives me comfort. I'm hoping they'll be waiting for me in a huge, smelly, daft, clever, big, small, funny and farty pack. Being kept in line by my late Burmese cat, already mentioned in the Cats thread.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately she left us on the 20th of July, she was ten and we'd had her determining our lives for nearly five years. We were very lucky that there was an instant, unbreakable bond between her & Ruby, We went up to Jockistan to see if they got on, and then brought her back with us the following day. When we took Penny, it was the first, last & only time she jumped into the back of the car entirely unaided.
This is the pair of 'em twenty-four hours after we got home. Unbelievable.
1635540658288.jpeg

They were best pals and kept each other on their toes - Penny would hurtle down the stairs in the morning and lay in wait for Ruby to come down and ambush her to the point where Ruby would stop halfway down and look back up at me pleading for me to go first....
Ruby got to learn that Penny hated her head being wet, so would have a drink then 'accidentally' have a good head shake stood next to her....
They united to conspire against us though.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Unfortunately she left us on the 20th of July, she was ten and we'd had her determining our lives for nearly five years. We were very lucky that there was an instant, unbreakable bond between her & Ruby, We went up to Jockistan to see if they got on, and then brought her back with us the following day. When we took Penny, it was the first, last & only time she jumped into the back of the car entirely unaided.
This is the pair of 'em twenty-four hours after we got home. Unbelievable.
View attachment 612706
They were best pals and kept each other on their toes - Penny would hurtle down the stairs in the morning and lay in wait for Ruby to come down and ambush her to the point where Ruby would stop halfway down and look back up at me pleading for me to go first....
Ruby got to learn that Penny hated her head being wet, so would have a drink then 'accidentally' have a good head shake stood next to her....
They united to conspire against us
They look great together. It sounds like they were a bad influence on each other, as all the best friends are. You're right that these stories bring back memories. I unfortunately don't have any photos of my dogs, or indeed any photos of my previous life, so I really enjoy seeing the pictures people post here and reading their stories.

When I win the lottery (positive thinking) I'll buy a place in the country and have lots of dogs. And cottages for the Arrse dog club to stay in when they visit. Ruby has an open invitation. You and Mrs OT can come too if you are house trained and don't shed hair on the furniture.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They look great together. It sounds like they were a bad influence on each other, as all the best friends are. You're right that these stories bring back memories. I unfortunately don't have any photos of my dogs, or indeed any photos of my previous life, so I really enjoy seeing the pictures people post here and reading their stories.

When I win the lottery (positive thinking) I'll buy a place in the country and have lots of dogs. And cottages for the Arrse dog club to stay in when they visit. Ruby has an open invitation. You and Mrs OT can come too if you are house trained and don't shed hair on the furniture.
I have no hair left to shed, the Mrs. has more than enough for both of us so she'll need an outside kennel - with chain.
I was thinking about previous dogs, sadly the photo's only go back to the early 90's but the memories go all the way back to my Grandad's two Ridgebacks in the 1960's and an aunts dog called Benji who lured me to the beehives at the age of five where I got my first bee stings..... he was a little shit but I loved going to see him, the aunt, not so much, she tried to make me use a knife & fork right-handed. I retaliated by biting the runner beans in the veg plot...

I have no hair left to shed, the Mrs. has more than enough for both of us so she'll need an outside kennel - with chain.
I was thinking about previous dogs, sadly the photo's only go back to the early 90's but the memories go all the way back to my Grandad's two Ridgebacks in the 1960's and an aunts dog called Benji who lured me to the beehives at the age of five where I got my first bee stings..... he was a little shit but I loved going to see him, the aunt, not so much, she tried to make me use a knife & fork right-handed. I retaliated by biting the runner beans in the veg plot...
BenjI sounds ace. Sort of hound a young lad needs. Bee stings hurt, but aren’t the end of the world for most.
How the hell do you operate two eating irons from the right hand only?

Latest Threads