ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

clothears

War Hero
Sad times but there is another dog out there just waiting for you
Thank you everyone. I've always been a lurker on this thread.

We have a second dog. Our son's wife left him, took the cat and chickens and left a miniature Spitze behind. She had demanded the dog and he caved. He always said he'd never have a small dog because he's 195cm and thinks men his height look silly with tiny dogs.

Well, we started doing doggy daycare when he was at work, and when he went to teach at the School we wound up keeping the spoilt bitch.

Mr. Collie got on with her like a house on fire. They were like an old married couple. She was with him when he passed.

Gone beyond preventatives I'm afraid. We've tried a few tablets for relief but none seem to do much. Currently on an injection (monoclonal antibodies) which gives the best result so far.

We use Brasso for their coats....

Teg61

Old-Salt
Used to give my golden retrievers sardines in oil. Just bunged on top of their usual dry food, oil poured over too, every other day. I used to buy Asda's own brand by the box load, they were cheap enough and the dogs adored them. Added bonus, the oil was great for their coats.
We also do this with our labs, but only as a treat once a week. Buy Costco sardines in bulk and keep them in the store cupboard.
D7EB042F-8D66-4020-B022-7D6A53025347.jpeg

Used to give my golden retrievers sardines in oil. Just bunged on top of their usual dry food, oil poured over too, every other day. I used to buy Asda's own brand by the box load, they were cheap enough and the dogs adored them. Added bonus, the oil was great for their coats.
Lidl sardines in tomato sauce are cheap as, and the furry monster wolfs them down. For added comedy, I eat them from the tin (with a fork) before giving the rest to the dog. Guaranteed to get ØA gipping…

Last edited:
When the Meaty household was living in N Wales one of our fields was bordered by the river Ogwen.

At the end of the Salmon spawning season the knackered fish were carried downstream by the current and were seized on with great enthusiasm by Jake and Bella as the fish for all intents and purposes were a wriggly stick that were good to eat.

Ended up moving to Lancashire in order to keep an eye on Aged Parents 7 years ago. About 10 mins walk from Meaty Towers is a reservoir which has been stocked with Brown, Rainbow and Blue trout. The reservoir has three feeder streams. Jake would stand as still as a stone in the shallow water where the feeder streams entered the reservoir and, without any apparent change in posture or position would superquickfast push his head into the water and then withdraw it with a very alive fish between his jaws.

Then came the walk of shame past the fly fishermen many of whom are very, very, protective of the patch - which is fair enough. I was anticipating some rather pointed comments but to my surprise there was a great deal of laughter and one old boy made a comment along the lines of "That bloody dog is a better fisherman than I'll ever be".

Unsurprisingly, Bella followed Jake's lead and became equally as adept. In her turn Sam copied Bella when I put Jake down. Got to say there have been more than a few occasions when trout has appeared on the Dinner menu unexpectedly.

Black 'Labs, the gift that never stops giving. I'd put them on prescription by the NHS, I defy anyone to be depressed whilst in the company of these delightful hounds.

Very sorry, arthritis will get our older dog, but not for a few years I hope.

Fish oil, not cod liver oil as that has extra vitamins in they don't need.
Plus sardines with the oil couple of times a week.
Good for skin, joints and coat.

My old girl is on Propalin, the only way I can get it down her without a struggle is to squirt it into a piece of sardine and cover it with some of the oil.
Side effect is a glossy coat.
So now the new lad is also a sardine addict, could be useful in the future.

Ritch

LE
My old girl is on Propalin, the only way I can get it down her without a struggle is to squirt it into a piece of sardine and cover it with some of the oil.
Side effect is a glossy coat.
So now the new lad is also a sardine addict, could be useful in the future.

My Poppy is on that too. 1.8ml twice a day and she sits and lets me squirt it down her gullet.

I'm not bragging. Much...

What's a "theif"?
If you are referring to theiftaker it was a radio callsign misspelled on some tshirts and hoodies at the printers.
So I became THE-IF-TAKER on the shop net.

"Can be"? Every Ridgeback I've ever known would put a CP team to shame with their covert 'insistence' on getting between you and any perceived threat way before you even know it's there ;)
And if that fails, they go loud spectacularly :D
20 plus years ago when my son was a schoolboy he was hired by an elderly neighbor to walk her pair of ridgebacks after school and after dinner. They were lovely dogs, very friendly with my son and with me. The problem was their reaction to dark skinned people. They would start growling at every black person they saw. Also got very agitated by a dark skinned Indian couple from our neighborhood.
I doubt that the owner, a nice retired architect had trained them to react this way and I wondered if racism is somehow bred into ridgeback genes.

Last edited:
20 plus years ago when my son was a schoolboy he was hired by an elderly neighbor to hire her pair of ridgebacks after school and after dinner. They were lovely dogs, very friendly with my son and with me. The problem was their reaction to dark skinned people. They would start growling at every black person they saw. Also got very agitated by a dark skinned Indian couple from our neighborhood.
I doubt that the owner, a nice retired architect had trained them to react this way and I wondered if racism is somehow bred into ridgeback genes.
My Springer grew up in Norn and had never seen a black person until one was posted into the Sqn, however, a tense situation in the bar was defused with a bag of crisps (Tayto natch)…
He also hated squaddies (he never saw me in uniform) which was entertaining at VCP’s.

clothears

War Hero
sorry you had to do 'the kindest thing'. 11 years is a lot of good memories though, we hope.
A Rough Collie is the same as the daft article in the Dog's Trust Yellow Y-fronts advert? If you can /when you can , go through some pics & post a Good One of a Good Boy & know he loved you as much as vice versa.
(dustier here than usual; , we have a border collie who's coming up to a similar age & slowing up a lot. Still hates 'planes and I'd hate to be an unaware pigeon in the garden when she's about)
He was a "Lassie" type Collie. Poor bugger actually answered to Lassie when he was out and about.

Aphra

Old-Salt
We also do this with our labs, but only as a treat once a week. Buy Costco sardines in bulk and keep them in the store cupboard. View attachment 610351
What a handsome pair. The gloss on those coats is wonderful. My retrievers unfortunately had a skin condition that, despite an excellent diet, daily grooming, regular baths etc didn't get any better. They were working dogs so we're barely indoors during the shooting season and their feed was always more than a more sedentary pet would need.

Once started on the oily sardines (tomato sauce ones didn't have the same benefits) there was a marked improvement. After spaying, their coats became thick and luxuriant which was great, but the vets couldn't explain how it happened. My guess was a hormonal problem, though tests had been negative.

20 plus years ago when my son was a schoolboy he was hired by an elderly neighbor to walk her pair of ridgebacks after school and after dinner. They were lovely dogs, very friendly with my son and with me. The problem was their reaction to dark skinned people. They would start growling at every black person they saw. Also got very agitated by a dark skinned Indian couple from our neighborhood.
Probably descendants of Selous Scouts pets!

PFGEN

GCM

Saffer mate told me his mum's dogs were definitely racist and it wasn't trained into them. Their gardener forgot the drills and had a narrow escape. I remember a Rhodie in one squadron told us a similar tale. Dogs were all owner and child friendly.

Latest Threads