ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Best news for a while - call from Son No1 Mk2, has been warned off for a little trip on behalf of HMG so I shall have Nelson, his 2 year old Black 'Lab x Rhodesian Ridgeback staying with me and my 2 Black ' Labs.

Made my week.

Original_Punk

Old-Salt
Our old Westie has gone chasing rabbits in the sky.
She was 16 years old and has been losing her marbles with doggy dementia for a while now.
Last night she took a turn for the worse with something else and Mrs Wb had to take her on the one way trip.

View attachment 609567
Sorry to hear, we have said farewell to 3 Westies so far, number 4 is with us but we can't go through the pain anymore after this one. 16 years is good age, many happy times ........... when not cleaning her after trying to go 2Tone. Smile and recall the good times.

clothears

War Hero
Our 15.5 Rough Collie left us this afternoon.

A better boy can not be found.

He was a 4yo rescue when he came to us. Perfect manners, obedience trained, sweet nature. Everyone was a friend who just hadn't met him.

Dementia, cataracts, arthritis in his hips and shoulders. Needed assistance to stand. He gave me a look and I knew it was time.

Farewell to the bestest boy, we'll meet again

Last edited:
Our 15.5 Rough Collie crossed left us this afternoon.

He was a 4yo rescue when he came to us. Perfect manners, obedience trained, sweet nature. Everyone was a friend who just hadn't met him.

Dementia, cataracts, arthritis in his hips and shoulders. Needed assistance to stand. He gave me a look and I knew it was time.

Very sorry for your loss.

I trust in time (as with all the dog lovers on here that have gone through it) that it will be nothing but the absolute fondest memories going onwards.

sorry you had to do 'the kindest thing'. 11 years is a lot of good memories though, we hope.
A Rough Collie is the same as the daft article in the Dog's Trust Yellow Y-fronts advert? If you can /when you can , go through some pics & post a Good One of a Good Boy & know he loved you as much as vice versa.
(dustier here than usual; , we have a border collie who's coming up to a similar age & slowing up a lot. Still hates 'planes and I'd hate to be an unaware pigeon in the garden when she's about)

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he was rescued to just the right place.

Very sorry, arthritis will get our older dog, but not for a few years I hope.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nowadays there are food supplements that can delay that...Google is your friend.

Teg61

Old-Salt

Sorry to hear that, take solace in the great life you gave him.

Sorry for the bad news, you have just described my 13.5 Collie X just not needing standing assistance yet!

I hadn't noticed the dementia untill at cricket this year when he just started wandering away. When I had to go after him as he wasn't hearing me calling, ignoring me probably you can see him working out who you are.

IMG-20211015-WA0045.jpg

Condolences :( .

Nowadays there are food supplements that can delay that...Google is your friend.
Fish oil !!

I used a syringe to squirt it into her mouth, through that gap in their teeth . . . after realising the stress of forcing capsules down her throat was unnecessary.

Quite visible, remarkable, beneficial results ;) .

Norman on the left, now 18 weeks, having a chill with his big brother Colin.

He's settled in really well, typical terrier traits & a real character. Best of all he loves rough & tumble with Colin...
IMG_20211015_145155_172.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Sad times but there is another dog out there just waiting for you

Rolled up in a ball of liver paste works for us.
Continuing the theme (albeit still cheese) we have found using those mini babybel cheese things really practical.

Firm enough to secrete a tablet or 2 inside without it falling to pieces and also (due to that red wax coating thingy) great for long walks in all weathers without them going soggy or falling apart in your pocket, rucksack etc.

Yes, we live on the edge in our house and yes, the winter nights fly by.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Used to give my golden retrievers sardines in oil. Just bunged on top of their usual dry food, oil poured over too, every other day. I used to buy Asda's own brand by the box load, they were cheap enough and the dogs adored them. Added bonus, the oil was great for their coats.

Latest Threads