ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Beautiful ears. Just needs a dad who'll listen and put in the effort to understand.
The last 'problem dog' we had apparently hated men, was vicious with kids and had no recall... only the last one was sort-of accurate, she'd not be swayed from chasing deer, squirrel or a golfer with a sandwich hanging out of his bag...
You're right of course, they need to be understood to see what or who the real cause of the problem is, my Grandad had a pair of Ridgebacks in the 1960's and we've had them ever since, no two dogs are the same but breeds have common traits, sometimes people think they can change that.

Ridgebacks can be very protective, especially if they've bonded. Also quite dominant, like GSDs.

Need to work with that and allow the hierarchy to sort itself out. Trying to manipulate that causes insecurity and more problems.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
"Can be"? Every Ridgeback I've ever known would put a CP team to shame with their covert 'insistence' on getting between you and any perceived threat way before you even know it's there ;)
And if that fails, they go loud spectacularly :D

Ritch

LE
And they have really soft ears. Gotta love 'em.

Speaking of soft ears, look at this beauty.

If Poppy wasn't so bad with other dogs and I was able to take this pupper on the long walks it needed, I'd have her in a shot. Such a beautiful big girl.

Beautiful Girl. Poppy is a princess and demands all her dad's attention. She'll get used to the newcomer but it'll be tough on her for a while. As you say, she'd prefer to be spoiled as a princess.

Ritch

LE
Beautiful Girl. Poppy is a princess and demands all her dad's attention. She'll get used to the newcomer but it'll be tough on her for a while. As you say, she'd prefer to be spoiled as a princess.

I've been tempted but I'm lucky with Poppy. I can't take her out for regular walks due to her hyper aggression towards other dogs - I also can't walk her because of the shît state of my body.
Narla would need lots of exercise and just having the ball thrown in the garden wouldn't suffice. It's not fair on her.
I think when Poppy crosses the rainbow bridge, that's it for me.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Speaking of soft ears, look at this beauty.

If Poppy wasn't so bad with other dogs and I was able to take this pupper on the long walks it needed, I'd have her in a shot. Such a beautiful big girl.
She's a beauty alright. Looks like she's wearing a blonde wig in some of those photos!

‘Still crazy after all these years’
König (3) and MillieWoodPikeydog (14) being Cockers.
2511071E-0E0E-4E3B-B783-8C19F94D5A53.jpeg

Aphra

Old-Salt
I imagine the grooming brush would be out every day!
I read an article recently, I think in one of the Sunday magazines, about women who spin 'wool' from their dogs' hair and knit jumpers etc. I've had golden retrievers and German Shepherds and my uncle had a Husky, all of whom shed enough hair to clothe a regiment but, as clean and well groomed as our dogs were, wet dog is wet dog. Not that I mind the clean, wet dog smell but I wouldn't choose to wear a gansey with that smell built in!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

endure

GCM
We had a a cocker when I was young. She made our subsequent boxers look mild, sedate and compos mentis which is no mean feat as anyone who's had a boxer will know.

Ritch

LE
I read an article recently, I think in one of the Sunday magazines, about women who spin 'wool' from their dogs' hair and knit jumpers etc. I've had golden retrievers and German Shepherds and my uncle had a Husky, all of whom shed enough hair to clothe a regiment but, as clean and well groomed as our dogs were, wet dog is wet dog. Not that I mind the clean, wet dog smell but I wouldn't choose to wear a gansey with that smell built in!
Yeah I feel it'd be a bit uncomfortable too - a bit scratchy depending on the breed. I use a "Furminator" on Poppy which gets all the undercoat trimmed off and it is magnificent.

Excellent pic!
Though I'm guessing matey-pup in the background is no the brains of the outfit
He / she is a Labrador puppy; it goes without saying.

Although I struggle to think of a cuter creature on the planet.

Latest Threads