ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

We were asked to look after both grandson and Douglas the greyhound yesterday afternoon. Douglas brought his best friend Betsy along as well...

They spent most of the afternoon chasing each other round the garden, destroying a tennis ball and killing the cuddly rabbit (the grey thing on the grass in the background).
douglasbetsy1.jpg
douglasbetsy2.jpg

Eventually Douglas ran out of steam and crashed out in the sunshine...
douglasbetsy3.jpg

Betsy is a real sweetie but decided that snoozing is for wimps and carried on playing (she doesn't have a garden lawn to play on at home).
douglasbetsy4.jpg

I cooked some extra pasta when I made our tea and the dogs each had a plate of pasta with some chicken scraps. Douglas ate the chicken but apparently doesn't like pasta and left it. Betsy was happy to finish it for him - after eating all of hers first...

Two happy dogs... :)

Last edited:

theinventor

War Hero
A word of caution if you have two puppies from the same litter - it creates additional issues outside of the normal puppy experience and you may need to do some seriously time-consuming additional training to make it work.
Thanks for that tip. We've already got a 3yo lab so there are house rules in place to follow. We feed them separately as it's impossible to hold two hungry wriggly things still or make them sit.
Once the pups are old enough to go out they'll be walked in shifts with the lab as she will need more exercise than they do.

We were asked to look after both grandson and Douglas the greyhound yesterday afternoon. Douglas brought his best friend Betsy along as well...

They spent most of the afternoon chasing each other round the garden, destroying a tennis ball and killing the cuddly rabbit (the grey thing on the grass in the background).
View attachment 605554View attachment 605555

Eventually Douglas ran out of steam and crashed out in the sunshine...
View attachment 605556

Besty is a real sweetie but decided that snoozing is for wimps and carried on playing (she doesn't have a garden lawn to play on at home).
View attachment 605557

I cooked some extra pasta when I made our tea and the dogs each had a plate of pasta with some chicken scraps. Douglas ate the chicken but apparently doesn't like pasta and left it. Betsy was happy to finish it for him - after eating all of hers first...

Two happy dogs... :)
No better sight than happy tired dogs

Met by Daughter with Lily on my way home from Supermatelots do.
20210923_183356_20210925062643208.jpg

I had to rescue these two lovely boys from running along the side of a busy A-Road the other day. One had a collar, neither had contact details.

Just as I was getting off the phone with the nearest vet to see if they're microchipped, the owners turned up - the collar on the Akita had a tracker on it.

I made sure they were the owners by asking to see photos of them on their phone, which they happily provided.

20210918_085059.jpg
20210918_084935.jpg
20210918_084659.jpg

...and yes, the car was a mess - I'd just been to the tip. I had to mop up the drool afterwards!

Aphra

Old-Salt
Met by Daughter with Lily on my way home from Supermatelots do.View attachment 606429
Very dapper. Lily's human looks quite smart too

I really enjoy this thread, being dogless these days. I love seeing the different breeds and the character of each dog. Whenever I see a picture of Lily (not The Who's one) I generally think 'now THAT'S a dog'. She's a lovely looking girl and those ears! I think I like the pics of her up trees best. Just a dog living her best life.

Very dapper. Lily's human looks quite smart too

I really enjoy this thread, being dogless these days. I love seeing the different breeds and the character of each dog. Whenever I see a picture of Lily (not The Who's one) I generally think 'now THAT'S a dog'. She's a lovely looking girl and those ears! I think I like the pics of her up trees best. Just a dog living her best life.

Best Dog I have ever had or met bar none.
All for the price of a pint of Guinness.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Best Dog I have ever had or met bar none.
All for the price of a pint of Guinness.
Sometimes the stars align and the right dog just finds the right human. I always thought Sluggy called her the pint of Guinness dog because Lily has Guinness colouring, didn't realise that's what she cost

Sometimes the stars align and the right dog just finds the right human. I always thought Sluggy called her the pint of Guinness dog because Lily has Guinness colouring, didn't realise that's what she cost

Aphra?? So what was your previous ID on here.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Aphra?? So what was your previous ID on here.
I lurked for literally years before finally joining and starting to comment. I've never had any other user name although I don't know how I'd prove that. I'm quite happy for the Mods to confirm that if you like.

I lurked for literally years before finally joining and starting to comment. I've never had any other user name although I don't know how I'd prove that. I'm quite happy for the Mods to confirm that if you like.

Just curious

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Here we go again!
Rescue society have been in touch today with another 'problem' dog (they said that last time too....) Three year old still living with the breeder and lots of other dogs, has started wanting to be the Alpha and bullying the ten year old male - to the point where they have to keep them separated and it's causing much upset with the others...
(some) Breeders are the real problem, letting a pack grow just to satisfy their ego without recognising 'family' packs don't work if they become unbalanced.
Anyway, we need to arrange to go down to Southampton for Ruby to meet the potential recruit, only 3-1/2 hours drive, with little likelihood of getting fuel!

Here's some screenshots of video we've been sent, sorry about the quality
Screenshot (170).png

Screenshot (171).png
Screenshot (172).png

We'll see....

Ritch

LE
Here we go again!
Rescue society have been in touch today with another 'problem' dog (they said that last time too....) Three year old still living with the breeder and lots of other dogs, has started wanting to be the Alpha and bullying the ten year old male - to the point where they have to keep them separated and it's causing much upset with the others...
(some) Breeders are the real problem, letting a pack grow just to satisfy their ego without recognising 'family' packs don't work if they become unbalanced.
Anyway, we need to arrange to go down to Southampton for Ruby to meet the potential recruit, only 3-1/2 hours drive, with little likelihood of getting fuel!

View attachment 607018
View attachment 607019View attachment 607020

We'll see....

Keep us posted!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Obviously Ruby gets the final say - BTW, anyone know of any dog-friendly hotels near Southampton?

ETA - the Mrs. has been stalking the breeder on FB, there's a photo of the pup with the title of 'Well the dick-head has made it to his second birthday, I don't know how'
Sounds like he'll fit right in....

Here we go again!

View attachment 607018
View attachment 607019View attachment 607020

We'll see....

Beautiful ears. Just needs a dad who'll listen and put in the effort to understand.

Latest Threads