ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It's weird isn't it how dogs suddenly become intolerable to stuff they've had previously. It's a shame about your Ridgeback.

How are you coping with your more recent loss?
Sorry mate - I meant his 'output' he was fine with the cabbage, it was everyone else that suffered!
Here's the silly old sod when he was four, the 'little' one in front was just over a year old and adored him
1631047755395.jpeg

Being without Penny is like, well, leaving the house without having the keys in your pocket, it just doesn't feel right.
I've been calling her and not realising - then catching myself doing it and feeling stupid, then errrmm... feeling I should mention the amount of dust in the house these days. It doesn't help that the stupid Parrot keeps telling her off!

Anyway, bigger issues at hand, my mate at work is having to rehome his six-month old Springer, not the dogs fault at all - he's having 'relationship issues', trying to help him make the right decision for the poor pup and realise it's the best long-term solution for all three of them....

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Sorry mate - I meant his 'output' he was fine with the cabbage, it was everyone else that suffered!
Here's the silly old sod when he was four, the 'little' one in front was just over a year old and adored him
View attachment 602473

Being without Penny is like, well, leaving the house without having the keys in your pocket, it just doesn't feel right.
I've been calling her and not realising - then catching myself doing it and feeling stupid, then errrmm... feeling I should mention the amount of dust in the house these days. It doesn't help that the stupid Parrot keeps telling her off!

Anyway, bigger issues at hand, my mate at work is having to rehome his six-month old Springer, not the dogs fault at all - he's having 'relationship issues', trying to help him make the right decision for the poor pup and realise it's the best long-term solution for all three of them....

Beautiful hounds!

I know what you mean about it not feeling right. When I lost my first dog, I found myself talking to her and looking over to where she'd be laid - spark out and farting on the sofa and to find she wasn't there was a punch in the gut each time. Don't feel stupid mate, it's part of grieving and also you're that used to doing it you need to retrain yourself.

Sounds like the Springer definitely needs a good home and we know where there's one, eh? *Nudge nudge*

What kind of parrot have you got?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just returned home after having my Lurcher euthanized. A tragic day made so much worse by the surgery's transformation into a pathetic car boot sale quarantine zone. Absurd regulations, implemented through fear disguised as necessity, has stripped the place of its compassion.

Rest in peace my beautiful boy! You deserved so much better!
Sorry to hear that. It's hard enough without the car park fandangle. Remember happy times with the Lurcher.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Beautiful hounds!

I know what you mean about it not feeling right. When I lost my first dog, I found myself talking to her and looking over to where she'd be laid - spark out and farting on the sofa and to find she wasn't there was a punch in the gut each time. Don't feel stupid mate, it's part of grieving and also you're that used to doing it you need to retrain yourself.

Sounds like the Springer definitely needs a good home and we know where there's one, eh? *Nudge nudge*

What kind of parrot have you got?
The young Ridgeback had megaesophagus, we kept it in check until she was ~3 years old, she had too much scarring on her lungs due to more-or-less constant bouts of aspiration pneumonia to keep breathing usefully. Totally the parasitic breeders to blame, there was another pup from the same litter that had it (possibly more, we only knew of that one because they used the same vet) and yet they kept breeding from the same parents, predictably, the KK had no interest in getting involved...

Anyway! As much as we'd love to give the Springer a home, he's six months old and Ruby wouldn't appreciate the sudden burst of activity... plus there's four days a week when he'd be left for six hours a day... He's probably going to a retired Police dog trainer I know, now does 'puppy classes' etc. and has the time and skill to undo the obsessive behaviour my mate's ex. has done keeping the dog 'entertained' with a laser pen....

The stupid bird is an African Grey, who thinks - at times, he's a sparrow, but at 200% of the volume. He has a Java branch perch in the living room & the conservatory, quite happily flies between the two, to the total disinterest of the dogs (bugger! done it again!) Ruby...

Ritch

LE
The young Ridgeback had megaesophagus, we kept it in check until she was ~3 years old, she had too much scarring on her lungs due to more-or-less constant bouts of aspiration pneumonia to keep breathing usefully. Totally the parasitic breeders to blame, there was another pup from the same litter that had it (possibly more, we only knew of that one because they used the same vet) and yet they kept breeding from the same parents, predictably, the KK had no interest in getting involved...

Anyway! As much as we'd love to give the Springer a home, he's six months old and Ruby wouldn't appreciate the sudden burst of activity... plus there's four days a week when he'd be left for six hours a day... He's probably going to a retired Police dog trainer I know, now does 'puppy classes' etc. and has the time and skill to undo the obsessive behaviour my mate's ex. has done keeping the dog 'entertained' with a laser pen....

The stupid bird is an African Grey, who thinks - at times, he's a sparrow, but at 200% of the volume. He has a Java branch perch in the living room & the conservatory, quite happily flies between the two, to the total disinterest of the dogs (bugger! done it again!) Ruby...

I've seen and heard about the megaesophagus. I can't stand the breeders who are only in it for the profit.

My aunt used to have a Black Palm cockatoo and I love birds. Unfortunately I haven't got the time or expertise to put in to looking after a bird like that and yours. They can be bundles of fun though - well... Not for you! :D

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen and heard about the megaesophagus. I can't stand the breeders who are only in it for the profit.

My aunt used to have a Black Palm cockatoo and I love birds. Unfortunately I haven't got the time or expertise to put in to looking after a bird like that and yours. They can be bundles of fun though - well... Not for you! :D
He's mostly OK - very funny when he's on a drunken rant (he was rehomed twice in Ireland before the Mrs. ended up with him so I know it's not me he's imitating) and he's very good at telling the dogs to stay in, get out, shutup, Ruby, ah-ah-ah and doing a very good imitation of HiD's smokers cough.... Also says 'silly birdie' when he misses his landing spot and crashes or falls off his perch in the dark!
We did have a few more that passed on due to old age, we'll replace them (smaller birds, cockatiels, canaries etc.) once we've had some building work done.

My first ever post in this thread.

May I introduce to you 'Sully'. Our Spanish Mastin from a rescue charity in Spain to go with our other Spanish rescue Mastin called Hester.

This is him the day he was delivered to us following a 24 hour drive from Spain to UK. He had been in a rescue home since he was a puppy. 3 and a half years of never being properly loved or walked etc. He was about 20lbs lighter than he should be, scared witless and scrawny.

ybH93IqGSpSjuRmWsFBS2Q.jpg

After literally a few days with us we had him checked over again by a British vet to discover he needed BOTH cruciate ligaments done. Both!

This is him after the Operation which cost us £6500! Thanks a heap Spanish Resue organisation!

dThjlKpbS9ioqgYD9mf1jg.jpg

Today is week 10 post Operation and he will be going to the beach for the first time ever in his life and he is loving life now like he has never experienced before.

A dog who had never had a proper bed, meals, fuss or off the lead walks for the first 3 and a half years of his life has (I hope he thinks) now hit the jackpot.

Hester left, Sully right.

ygSlAAywQzKxQH81kicg3g.jpg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Please, please, please post some pictures of them on the beach!

colinmc400

Old-Salt

May I introduce to you 'Sully'. Our Spanish Mastin from a rescue charity in Spain to go with our other Spanish rescue Mastin called Hester.

This is him the day he was delivered to us following a 24 hour drive from Spain to UK. He had been in a rescue home since he was a puppy. 3 and a half years of never being properly loved or walked etc. He was about 20lbs lighter than he should be, scared witless and scrawny.

View attachment 602523

After literally a few days with us we had him checked over again by a British vet to discover he needed BOTH cruciate ligaments done. Both!

This is him after the Operation which cost us £6500! Thanks a heap Spanish Resue organisation!

View attachment 602524

Today is week 10 post Operation and he will be going to the beach for the first time ever in his life and he is loving life now like he has never experienced before.

A dog who had never had a proper bed, meals, fuss or off the lead walks for the first 3 and a half years of his life has (I hope he thinks) now hit the jackpot.

View attachment 602526
Been there and done that with our boy beagle, Bob. He managed to do both almost exactly 12 months apart. Fortunately the insurance covered about 80% of the total AUD 7K, so not so bad. Even at 10 years old, he seems to have totally recovered and no lasting affects so far.
33985735_10212466377554630_7581406701018939392_n.jpg

colinmc400

Old-Salt
Almost like they are sat at attention, waiting inspection before scoff. Except that's every time you sit down with any food, or anything they consider to be food. And its been like this every day for more than 10 years.
45361655_10213556977578949_6756722441306767360_n.jpg

Ritch

LE

View attachment 602523

View attachment 602524

View attachment 602526

They're both a pair of very handsome hounds!

Original_Punk

Old-Salt
Sent to me after our lovely girl had to make that one way trip.

Sorry.

View attachment 602484
I saw this a few years ago after I lost the first of my 4 westies (only 1 still with me). I keep a copy on my mac alongside the pictures of the westies and when I click on it to read again, it still causes the dust in the room to swirl. Simple, but very poignant. Sorry, itchy eyes again, have to go ........

stantheman

Old-Salt
Just seen the post above from Blogg. Lost our last chocolate Labrador , Galaxy about 8 years ago when she was 12. She was born in our hallway, a litter of 4. Her mum was Sophie. Galaxy was the most fantastic dog we ever owned, but age caught up with her in the end. Could hardly move one evening so we called a vet out at about midnight and in our front room he put her to sleep. The wife and two grown up children were all sat around her and the vet said to keep talking to her until she had gone. Vet and son carried her out to the vets car in a blanket. I was unable to help. We still have her ashes upstairs. The Blogg message brought it all home to me again. I’m sitting here trying to watch the Tour or Britain cycling, but not doing very well,

jmb3296

War Hero
Just seen the post above from Blogg. Lost our last chocolate Labrador , Galaxy about 8 years ago when she was 12. She was born in our hallway, a litter of 4. Her mum was Sophie. Galaxy was the most fantastic dog we ever owned, but age caught up with her in the end. Could hardly move one evening so we called a vet out at about midnight and in our front room he put her to sleep. The wife and two grown up children were all sat around her and the vet said to keep talking to her until she had gone. Vet and son carried her out to the vets car in a blanket. I was unable to help. We still have her ashes upstairs. The Blogg message brought it all home to me again. I’m sitting here trying to watch the Tour or Britain cycling, but not doing very well,
A like seems so inappropriate but it is the best I can find. Your reminiscing chimed with the memories of the passing of some of my dogs.
it is never easy but the happy memories outweigh the bad by so much.
I have buried my dogs up to the passing of the last one. I scattered his ashes by the grave of my first.
just next to a. Beautiful beech tree with a pheasant feeder which I visit several times a week to refill, and where both were very happy in life.
I find myself speaking to them every time.

Latest Threads