ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Ensuring you're not a pikey or wanting dogs for baiting. Unfortunately you have to take the hard yards because other people are cunts.

Just keep in the front of your mind that you're doing it to make life better for someone who deserves a good home, jump through the hoops and do what it takes to make that happen.

They're worth the effort.
That’s fair enough last time was a bit silly with the home visit commenting on the fact we lived near a junction. I asked our 2 dogs if they minded but it didn’t go down well. Last word will be up to our doodle if we get through but she’s always had an air of indifference to other dogs.

Carbon 6

War Hero
Added to my previous.
On Monday the vet wanted to try out some antibiotics and eye drops to see if they might help.
I will always give those I care for a chance but for once I feel bad for doing so.
She slept most of the time because she couldn't walk to the garden properly or see her way properly, she had some food Monday night then turned her nose up to it. Even hand feeding was hard. I took her back yesterday and another vet immediately said she was so poorly that she recommended putting her to sleep. I agreed and as I say in the passenger seat of my car the anaesthetic was administered. I was pleased how peaceful it was and as I thanked her just before she drifted off she snuggled closer to me. It was as if she knew.
My wife had a portrait done of her for my birthday 4 years ago which I will also get as a tattoo

That was so sad to read, but you did the right thing. She’s not suffering now.

Added to my previous.
On Monday the vet wanted to try out some antibiotics and eye drops to see if they might help.
I will always give those I care for a chance but for once I feel bad for doing so.
. . . I took her back yesterday and another vet immediately said she was so poorly that she recommended putting her to sleep. I agreed and as I say in the passenger seat of my car the anaesthetic was administered. I was pleased how peaceful it was and as I thanked her just before she drifted off she snuggled closer to me. It was as if she knew . .
Condolences :( .

B0C59299-A8B4-42F2-9E07-C8FEFB71D20C.jpeg

Does anyone have any experience of rehoming a dog through the dogs trust? We tried a couple of rescue orgs last time and it was like inviting the stasi in.Just interested in the process

Cheers
I foster for the Dogs Trust, as I recall we are on number 23, that's over the last 5 years so have a reasonable working knowledge about the organisation.
Much like most other large organisations they have "standards and SOP's" but also a smattering of ********* who can make things difficult.
In the main they are good people , very helpful and doing a good job.
They used to have a scheme where if you rehomed a dog with health problems it was a sort of shared thing and they would carry the vet costs, sadly they have done away with this so if cost is a problem you need to be aware.
To rehome is not free, again something you need to be aware of.
I foster via the Dogs Trust place near Leeds, the staff are all lovely people and only to pleased to help.
Go on, I double dog dare you and pay them a visit. ;)

Edited to add:
Fostering can be very rewarding as well as heartbreaking. If you have a fair bit of dog savvy and can steal yourself to let go if a suitable forever family is found, it's worth considering,

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
My Mum before she past was near totally deaf, (from a doddle bug V1 that landed in the front garden). She had a small poodle name Chass (it had a longer name but that is forgotten). She got Chass through the Deaf Dog organization a great bunch of people. Chass got an ear issue about 2 years before she past where all her hair dropped off and the ear got red patches. Mum took her to the vet and after a few months of being treated was still the same. So Mum rubbed on some Germolene and it cleared up in a couple of days.

Dig to vets tommorow** for a check up

from being a 2 yr old overactive shite at age 11 hes suddenly slowed down rapidly (im told that this is a lab thing - young until theyre not).

We dont step onto the furniiture any more we hop our back end, and hes unsteady and stiff when he gets up

Vets trip to ensure it is just age and theres no medical condition (lymes etc) to be on the safe side - but hes 13 this summer and i think age has caught up to the old boy.

Even the rescue puppy we adopted is 7 this summer - to my horror where the **** does time go.

** Or as soon as we can given Lockdown restrictions

Ritch

LE
Bribing Poppy with a biscuit just so she'd sit still.
Not doing bad for an old girl.
20210428_190536.jpg

As expected other than a tooth infection Digger is sufferring from nothing more serious than old fuckeritis

Oh and mild / early cataracts (translation issues)

5JanGlascarnoch6.JPG

This complete doughnut might - stress might - see out the month of May, but not much further than that. I was grooming her at the end of March and found a lump in her right armpit - one excision and histology report later, and we had a diagnosis of Grade 3 Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Since the first one was found others have been sprouting left, right & Chelsea. In parallel she has developed a sense of "lethargy & listlessness" which comes & goes in spells.

This week we had a road trip to a local University Veterinary hospital, and via a CT scan she has been diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer which has 'metastasised' into her stomach & lungs. The prognosis is that she has 1 to 2 months.

So, I've got a number of weeks; the vets tell me that in the event of collapse, visual / audible indication of pain, food rejection or incontinence then I make the phone call that day and she heads off to doggie Valhalla. To make matters worse, due to Covid constraints the vets can't visit the home to do the deed, so I will have to take her to the surgery, which is a place she's not a fan of. She will be 11 & 1/2 when she leaves us.

To say I am gutted is one way of putting it.............!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 569570

This complete doughnut might - stress might - see out the month of May, but not much further than that. I was grooming her at the end of March and found a lump in her right armpit - one excision and histology report later, and we had a diagnosis of Grade 3 Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Since the first one was found others have been sprouting left, right & Chelsea. In parallel she has developed a sense of "lethargy & listlessness" which comes & goes in spells.

This week we had a road trip to a local University Veterinary hospital, and via a CT scan she has been diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer which has 'metastased' into her stomach & lungs. The prognosis is that she has 1 to 2 months.

So, I've got a number of weeks; the vets tell me that in the event of collapse, visual / audible indication of pain, food rejection or incontinence then I make the phone call that day and she heads off to doggie Valhalla. To make matters worse, due to Covid constraints the vets can't visit the home to do the deed, so I will have to take her to the surgery, which is a place she's not a fan of. She will be 11 & 1/2 when she leaves us.

Life is a bugger at times mate , condolences

Waldeck

Old-Salt
View attachment 569570

This week we had a road trip to a local University Veterinary hospital, and via a CT scan she has been diagnosed with an aggressive bone cancer which has 'metastased' into her stomach & lungs. The prognosis is that she has 1 to 2 months.

Sorry to hear it Dave, its hard losing a good friend. I promised mine I would be there at the end, but he died in the driveway while I was in the house, still feel bad about that.

Ritch

LE
View attachment 569570

I am so, so sorry to hear this.

I hope whatever time you have left is fun and you make some more precious memories.

jmb3296

War Hero
View attachment 569570

My heartfelt condolences

View attachment 569570

Enjoy the time left with her. Its just not fair, never is .My thoughts are with you two, take care of her .

View attachment 569570

Bugger :( !!

You should at least be able to ask, suggest, INSIST, the vet comes out to the car!!

Be brave :( .

Teeblerone

War Hero
View attachment 569570

desperately sad news. such a pretty girl as well.

edit: not that it matters, even odd-looking dogs are great companions (and utter idiots, but happy while doing so!). We should all be so lucky to have someone looking after us.

@solodave very sorry, make her last few weeks as good as possible for both of you.

Latest Threads