ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Sad day today, after a couple of false alarms my best friend has had had enough. She is almost blind and has either tumours or a massive abscesses behind her left eye, in her about and one came up over the weekend on too of her head. I gave her a shower yesterday and her eye was bulging out.
I'm not prepared to see her suffer anymore. Logical decision to make but fcking hard.
Very sad but necessary for both of you condolences mate

jmb3296

War Hero
Sad day today, after a couple of false alarms my best friend has had had enough. She is almost blind and has either tumours or a massive abscesses behind her left eye, in her about and one came up over the weekend on too of her head. I gave her a shower yesterday and her eye was bulging out.
I'm not prepared to see her suffer anymore. Logical decision to make but fcking hard.
sincere and heartfelt condolences. It is hard, but it was the right thing to do for her.

964ST

War Hero
@DieHard my condolences.

Carbon 6

War Hero
86A88A89-4E4B-4CB3-B958-DCB45AC6593B.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
More breakfast for the wife and pooch again was there like a rat up a drain pipe
B125F5D3-FB0E-4F91-952F-64CDC7E167EF.jpeg
although he couldn’t have any as it was mushroom and onion with cheese.
He is partial to plain cheese on toast and I may make that tomorrow for him.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hear that, it’s hard but kind, well done for doing the right thing and condolences.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Added to my previous.
On Monday the vet wanted to try out some antibiotics and eye drops to see if they might help.
I will always give those I care for a chance but for once I feel bad for doing so.
She slept most of the time because she couldn't walk to the garden properly or see her way properly, she had some food Monday night then turned her nose up to it. Even hand feeding was hard. I took her back yesterday and another vet immediately said she was so poorly that she recommended putting her to sleep. I agreed and as I say in the passenger seat of my car the anaesthetic was administered. I was pleased how peaceful it was and as I thanked her just before she drifted off she snuggled closer to me. It was as if she knew.
My wife had a portrait done of her for my birthday 4 years ago which I will also get as a tattoo

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_184152~4.jpg
    IMG_20200723_184152~4.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 14
Added to my previous.
On Monday the vet wanted to try out some antibiotics and eye drops to see if they might help.
I will always give those I care for a chance but for once I feel bad for doing so.
She slept most of the time because she couldn't walk to the garden properly or see her way properly, she had some food Monday night then turned her nose up to it. Even hand feeding was hard. I took her back yesterday and another vet immediately said she was so poorly that she recommended putting her to sleep. I agreed and as I say in the passenger seat of my car the anaesthetic was administered. I was pleased how peaceful it was and as I thanked her just before she drifted off she snuggled closer to me. It was as if she knew.
My wife had a portrait done of her for my birthday 4 years ago which I will also get as a tattoo
My condolences , she looks a sweetie too. Its always best to be with them at the time,just so they know.

Added to my previous.
Sorry to hear that it’s a rotten thing to go through.

Does anyone have any experience of rehoming a dog through the dogs trust? We tried a couple of rescue orgs last time and it was like inviting the stasi in.Just interested in the process

Cheers

Teg61

Old-Salt
Added to my previous.
Sorry to hear that mate, at least you were with her at the end.

Added to my previous.

It seems wrong to give a 'Like' to a post such as this, but you know what I mean. As I've said to a couple of other posters who have had to let their mucker go, console yourself that you did exactly the right thing and at some point in the future you can look back with the warmest of memories and clack some whisky / vino / beer whilst looking at old photos, and it'll feel just like you've got a familiar chin resting on yr knee............

I'm led to understand by a vet friend and a couple of other doggie enthusiasts that the best thing you can do for them is be there when they 'cross the bridge', it is reassuring for them and they think they're just going to sleep.

I'm having 'preparatory thoughts' just now ref my 11yr old Lab who has started sprouting lumps which have been diagnosed as Grade 3 Sarcoma (ie aggressive, high chance of recurrence, some may be inoperable, radio / chemo limited in scope of success). If she is still with us at Xmas I will be very pleasantly surprised, but I am already brigading my thoughts and preparing for the worst.

Does anyone have any experience of rehoming a dog through the dogs trust? We tried a couple of rescue orgs last time and it was like inviting the stasi in.Just interested in the process

Cheers
Yep. We got a spaniel from them last month. The whole process was straightforward and very good. We applied on the Friday, we were contacted by Dogs Trust on the Sunday, met the hound on Wednesday, and he arrived on the following Saturday. It's been shits and giggles ever since.

20210312_135155.jpg

Londo

LE
Added to my previous.
Condolences

Cheers

Ensuring you're not a pikey or wanting dogs for baiting. Unfortunately you have to take the hard yards because other people are cunts.

Just keep in the front of your mind that you're doing it to make life better for someone who deserves a good home, jump through the hoops and do what it takes to make that happen.

They're worth the effort.

@DieHard very sorry, it's never an easy thing to do.

Latest Threads