ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Ritch

LE
This is 'Monster II'. A few weeks ago myself and OC Domestic decided to take the plunge, as she'd been desperate for a dog for years. I'd had previous with spaniels so it was a given. This bugger appeared on Dogs Trust and we applied.

A couple of weeks later he arrived. He's fit right in and there's been no dramas. He's sharp as a sharp thing and learns very quickly indeed. I had him responding to hand signals in a couple of hours. I'm wondering if there's some border collie in there somewhere?

He's ace. He sleeps on the bed. I no longer have sex. He's like the Berlin Wall with ears. My arse is also cold. Git. This is the culprit avec 'Moocow'.

View attachment 563299

Gorgeous pooch though. Those eyes have more power than a naked Scarlett Johansson holding a sign which says "take me".

padme

War Hero
This is 'Monster II'. A few weeks ago myself and OC Domestic decided to take the plunge, as she'd been desperate for a dog for years. I'd had previous with spaniels so it was a given. This bugger appeared on Dogs Trust and we applied.

A couple of weeks later he arrived. He's fit right in and there's been no dramas. He's sharp as a sharp thing and learns very quickly indeed. I had him responding to hand signals in a couple of hours. I'm wondering if there's some border collie in there somewhere?

He's ace. He sleeps on the bed. I no longer have sex. He's like the Berlin Wall with ears. My arse is also cold. Git. This is the culprit avec 'Moocow'.

View attachment 563299
He looks like little Richie

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I had the best dog in the world and we loved him dearly. Part trained gun dog, a yellow Labrador. He was tough stocky lad with long hair almost a mane round his front half. No matter how much you brushed him he'd still seemed to shed clumps of long white and yellow hair. Very rarely ever barked, not interested in other dogs, especially after we had him speyed. Didn't piss or crap in the garden. Walk him off the lead no problem. Our first dog, got him when he was 18 months. He'd failed the gun dog training so was put up for sale and we got him. We had a secure dog run built and he lived outside for years. Recently we started letting him in the house as we got softer and he played up to our weakness!
Just before last Christmas took him to vets for a make or break tumor removal, he was still happy to walk every day and showed little distress.
I brought him home that evening and laid him to rest in the garden, 2020 wasn't the year for any luck!
We were all devastated, my wife was a cat person and didn't want a dog but after almost 10 years with him she was in bits and she has ice water in her veins.
I was only glad he was gone quickly and didn't suffer months or years of illness.
I can't post pictures of him sorry.

Now for the good news, on Saturday I'm bringing home a black Labrador pup. Saw him and his siblings on Monday and although I never wanted a pup it is what it is!
He's from gun dog stock and professional dog trainers and breeders. I haven't missed walking a dog at night after work in the rain and snow but I will look forward to it now. Sitting outside a pub in the summer with busty women bending down to stroke the dog is always a big plus.
Trying to think of name for him so far I've thought of Buster, Boris, Barney, Guy or Prince (Black Prince, Prince of Darkness) my sisters got a young lab called Reggie so I thought of Ronnie as in the Krays.

I had the best dog in the world and we loved him dearly. Part trained gun dog, a yellow Labrador. He was tough stocky lad with long hair almost a mane round his front half. No matter how much you brushed him he'd still seemed to shed clumps of long white and yellow hair. Very rarely ever barked, not interested in other dogs, especially after we had him speyed. Didn't piss or crap in the garden. Walk him off the lead no problem. Our first dog, got him when he was 18 months. He'd failed the gun dog training so was put up for sale and we got him. We had a secure dog run built and he lived outside for years. Recently we started letting him in the house as we got softer and he played up to our weakness!
Just before last Christmas took him to vets for a make or break tumor removal, he was still happy to walk every day and showed little distress.
I brought him home that evening and laid him to rest in the garden, 2020 wasn't the year for any luck!
We were all devastated, my wife was a cat person and didn't want a dog but after almost 10 years with him she was in bits and she has ice water in her veins.
I was only glad he was gone quickly and didn't suffer months or years of illness.
I can't post pictures of him sorry.

Now for the good news, on Saturday I'm bringing home a black Labrador pup. Saw him and his siblings on Monday and although I never wanted a pup it is what it is!
He's from gun dog stock and professional dog trainers and breeders. I haven't missed walking a dog at night after work in the rain and snow but I will look forward to it now. Sitting outside a pub in the summer with busty women bending down to stroke the dog is always a big plus.
Trying to think of name for him so far I've thought of Buster, Boris, Barney, Guy or Prince (Black Prince, Prince of Darkness) my sisters got a young lab called Reggie so I thought of Ronnie as in the Krays.
You are doing the right thing, the old boy didnt suffer , and lets face it , shame to waste the dog run.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You are doing the right thing, the old boy didnt suffer , and lets face it , shame to waste the dog run.
Thanks for your reply. I could see he was getting old and I knew I'd struggle to cope if and when he lost his fitness and was suffering. In a cowardly way I was glad he went quick and it was all over. I'm glad I went and brought him home although it was a bit rough the whole burying business.

I did consider a smaller dog, I drove past in my ex Army Land rover on Saturday a woman walking a jack russell, the little dog almost pulled her off her feet trying to attack the Land Rover. But as you say we're set up for a bigger out door hound.
One of my favorite walks is a 7 mile round walk to a cracking pub at Chilham (Kent) and I need a dog that can cope with that distance.

Last edited:

colinmc400

Clanker
Thanks for your reply. I could see he was getting old and I knew I'd struggle to cope if and when he lost his fitness and was suffering. In a cowardly way I was glad he went quick and it was all over. I'm glad I went and brought him home although it was a bit rough the whole burying business.
We have a couple of beagles and the blokey one is now 12 and probably in the twilight of his life. He has had some health issues over the years, like torn ACL's and so many lumps and bumps removed. But he has always shaken it all off and gotten back to being a happy go lucky bouncy character. BUT i just know already that i am going to be a crying, dribbling mess when his time comes and i am sure the wife will be the strong one for us. His younger sister will miss him terribly and we will have the dilemma of whether to go again with another puppy to keep her company, as that means more heartache at some point in the future.

There are so many who need homes it would be criminal not to give a good home to someone deserving. Rescues may not be the posing vanity dogs a lot of people like, but they give back more than you could ever imagine and will help heal that raw hole left by your guys.

Wouldn't be without my pack.

padme

War Hero
There are so many who need homes it would be criminal not to give a good home to someone deserving. Rescues may not be the posing vanity dogs a lot of people like, but they give back more than you could ever imagine and will help heal that raw hole left by your guys.

Wouldn't be without my pack.
Odin is our first rescue dog, he's so loving. I won't buy one now. Mind you rescuing a dog can cost the same as buying one from a breeder

Not long back from the vets, less my beautiful girl who we had to say goodbye to for the last time.
Gutted and ill prepared doesn't come in to it.
Ten years old, a few years ago she was diagnosed with acute arthritis fusing most of two thirds of her skeleton, initially just causing some minor mobility issues. We first noticed something was wrong when she struggled to jump into the back of the SUV, even with a run up. She'd still walk for miles but we could tell her condition was getting worse with her awkward gait.
Forward wind 12 months, she has a ramp to get into the truck and sits down refusing to budge 5 minutes into a walk, vets visits/hydrotherapy and all the pain killers she can handle. In Jan this year, she started being unable to stretch her front legs more than a few inches and occasionally losing control of her bowls and dragging her back feet so a trip around the garden was the best she could get. We'd also bought a belly sling as more than once she had been unable to stand without assistance. More vet visits, she was now on the maximum Gabapentin and Loxicom, combined with paracetamol.
She still wasn't complaining but we could sense something wasn't right for the last two days as she wasn't settling in one spot for very long, had yakked a few times and from the early hours of this morning had been panting heavily.
We had to carry her to the car on a blanket as she couldn't stand.
We were on the phone to the vet from early doors and they took her in as an emergency eventually.
I didn't expect to becoming home without my baby. I know, it's just a dog.
Thankfully Mrs Biff and the kids were with us at the end.
Apologies, I just had to get that off my chest.
inka 1.JPG

Last edited:
Not long back from the vets, less my beautiful girl who we had to say goodbye to for the last time.
Ten years old, a few years ago she was diagnosed with acute arthritis fusing most of two thirds of her skeleton, initially just causing some minor mobility issues. We first noticed something was wrong when she struggled to jump into the back of the SUV, even with a run up. She'd still walk for miles but we could tell her condition was getting worse with her awkward gait.
Forward wind 12 months, she has a ramp to get into the truck and sits down refusing to budge 5 minutes into a walk, vets visits/hydrotherapy and all the pain killers she can handle. In Jan this year, she started being unable to stretch her front legs more than a few inches and occasionally losing control of her bowls and dragging her back feet so a trip around the garden was the best she could get. We'd also bought a belly sling as more than once she had been unable to stand without assistance. More vet visits, she was now on the maximum Gabapentin and Loxicom, combined with paracetamol.
She still wasn't complaining but we could sense something wasn't right for the last two days as she wasn't settling in one spot for very long, had yakked a few times and from the early hours of this morning had been panting heavily.
We were on the phone to the vet from early doors and they took her in as an emergency eventually.
View attachment 564265
Heartbreaking, we know but you did right by her condolences mate

Ritch

LE
View attachment 564265

I'm gutted for you. Anyone who has never had a dog might say "it's just a dog" but that isn't the case. They become members of the family and are taken far, far too soon.

Gutted and ill prepared doesn't come in to it . . .
View attachment 564265
Condolences :( .

Teg61

Old-Salt
View attachment 564265
Sorry to hear that. Take heart that she was loved by you all.

Teeblerone

War Hero
View attachment 564265
What a great looking dog!
She knew it was time, you were strong enough to agree. Well done, all

@Northern_Biff sorry to hear about your loss. It’s never just a dog, they are part of the family and the loss can hit you hard. I’ve recently gone through the loss of my cat and people who have had an animal in their lives realise that the bunch of fur IS family.

Thoughts with you and family.

RP

Poppy

LE
so sorry for the loss of your girl- condolences

Latest Threads