ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Wife found this on the inter web thought it would raise a laugh or two on here.

16CC42F5-401D-4FC0-940E-A6A8939F4149.jpeg

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Anyone have any idea what this might be please?

Looks like gums have mummified themselves on one side, turning grey & wrinkly, with white plaque(?) bit at bottom left of circled area

archie 100_0526 copy.jpg

archie 100_0526.jpg

History:
Rescue dog, c.13yrs, came with shitty teeth

Current episode:
  • Diet hydration demeanour all normal 4hrs ago
  • Started 3hrs ago with him licking the carpet, trying to eat an piece of fluff or debris - as though trying to make himself vomit
  • Walked 1hr ago, motions, habits, etc all exactly normal
  • Inspected mouth 30mins ago & saw offending grey gum, which whilst not sensitive to the touch he's very reluctant to hold his mouth open for long, as if an irritation
Current plan:
  • Call the vet
  • Give him a chicken dinner (last meal) before he goes

Bugger. Cyst or abscess that's necrotic? Hope the doc can sort it out. Antibiotics?

No dinner. Doc may need to anaesthetise him to take a look and clean it up, so get it seen to ASAP. You can give him soft cooked chicken while he's home recovering.

I can't help with the problem that @Poppycock has - but for others I might just drop a plug for the insurance company I have - "Bought By Many".

They are (IMHO) priced fairly well, but include free 24/7 video calls with a vet - we've used it a few times and it has saved us a lot of stress, time and money rather than going to a vet in-person.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Bugger. Cyst or abscess that's necrotic? Hope the doc can sort it out. Antibiotics?

No dinner. Doc may need to anaesthetise him to take a look and clean it up, so get it seen to ASAP. You can give him soft cooked chicken while he's home recovering.
Aye, I think you're right about necrotic (dead cells due to no blood supply). I have had someone qualified look at him (not a mercenary vet, the cnuts) & they say it's just an extension of his existing (appalling) dental health.

Not sure what the drama was with him this morning still - I guess he was just getting my attention (at 4am) to take him out to find some bitch pee to lick, which apparently relieves gum pain (I've never tried it)

Action:
  • He's got a new electric toothbrush head & a new daily routine (used to do it monthly) of brushing teeth & gums with coconut oil & powdered calcium
  • See if I can teach him to gargle listerine (I'll keep you posted on that)
archie tooth.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone have any idea what this might be please?

Looks like gums have mummified themselves on one side, turning grey & wrinkly, with white plaque(?) bit at bottom left of circled area

View attachment 554309
View attachment 554310

History:
Rescue dog, c.13yrs, came with shitty teeth

Current episode:
  • Diet hydration demeanour all normal 4hrs ago
  • Started 3hrs ago with him licking the carpet, trying to eat an piece of fluff or debris - as though trying to make himself vomit
  • Walked 1hr ago, motions, habits, etc all exactly normal
  • Inspected mouth 30mins ago & saw offending grey gum, which whilst not sensitive to the touch he's very reluctant to hold his mouth open for long, as if an irritation
Current plan:
  • Call the vet
  • Give him a chicken dinner (last meal) before he goes

Had something similar with the MiL’s 15 year old Jack Russell that we inherited.

His mouth was a right mess. The vet ended up pulling all but 3 or 4 of his teeth.

He’s absolutely fine now. You’d think the ****** was 10 years younger.

Smug little prick.
F89C9F62-6536-4E6B-B4AB-762F89B1FB54.jpeg

Had something similar with the MiL’s 15 year old Jack Russell that we inherited.

His mouth was a right mess. The vet ended up pulling all but 3 or 4 of his teeth.

He’s absolutely fine now. You’d think the ****** was 10 years younger.

Smug little prick.View attachment 554595
You clearly have problems, accepting his position as the Alpha-male, in your household ;) !!

Blogg

LE
Keep a very close eye on the dog.

Human running speed, continually and over distance, is not a natural dog setting and there's a danger of forced exercise which is extremely stressful - you're the boss and he will do whatever he has to to keep up with you, even if it's not very good for him (i.e. he's carrying an injury). If he can't keep up for any reason, he's likely to panic and really push himself.

Admittedly this is more likely with those owners who insist on riding a bike. If it's just running, he'll probably get used to it, accept missing out on the interesting sniffs and endure the boredom to keep you happy.

This, especially with running on road or pavement.

Running with large dogs on long leads presents another hazard especially if they are a bit prey driven.

Going through an area near road so put them on leads. Deer pops out from undergrowth and back in again.

Followed by dogs until stopped by my dead weight being dragged though spikey bushes

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Any of the ARRSE posse in Ilfracombe? I may have a job for you, and I’m paying rather handsomely.........

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Rufus having another tough day at the office

IMG_1692.jpg

Any of the ARRSE posse in Ilfracombe? I may have a job for you, and I’m paying rather handsomely.........

Much like my Silke. I'll chip in. Draw it out a bit and let them scream for a couple of days.

Latest Threads