Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Ritch

LE
E&L are in our very bitter experience an appalling outfit on every level

With PetPlan now and yes it costs muchly but the difference is vast
Another one that takes the Mickey is Legal & General. An absolute shower and I'd never recommend them to anyone after the way they behaved with me regarding Poppy's cancer and treatment.

Believe me tells us every day in detail how much we need to tickle his ears. He's a talker/whinger

Well, if you paid attention and set up a roster of permanent ear tickles he wouldn't have to repeat himself, would he now?

Bloody humans...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
This week we have been learning a whole lot about Growth Plate deformity. And with great sadness learning that it has affected another two of our puppies. It's been devastating. For us, for the stud dog owner, and for the people who had booked puppies, including two small children who had just shown us the bed, lead and toys they had bought for their dog, who is now no more.

The four who remain look to have escaped the problem, as their legs are all straightening properly. We will be watching them like hawks. In any case they must never be bred from, as no-one knows or understands why this relatively rare affliction has hit three pups in the same litter.

It's been brutal.

Much kindness has been shown by everyone involved (except one putative buyer), and our friends have rallied round as best they can, but this 'having just one litter' lark is certainly not for the faint-hearted.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you. The Fab Four who remain don't appear to be affected. They were playing normally this morning and have tired themselves out.
20210218_122611_resized.jpg

This week we have been learning a whole lot about Growth Plate deformity. And with great sadness learning that it has affected another two of our puppies. It's been devastating. For us, for the stud dog owner, and for the people who had booked puppies, including two small children who had just shown us the bed, lead and toys they had bought for their dog, who is now no more.

The four who remain look to have escaped the problem, as their legs are all straightening properly. We will be watching them like hawks. In any case they must never be bred from, as no-one knows or understands why this relatively rare affliction has hit three pups in the same litter.

It's been brutal.

Much kindness has been shown by everyone involved (except one putative buyer), and our friends have rallied round as best they can, but this 'having just one litter' lark is certainly not for the faint-hearted.
God , how upsetting, fingers crossed for the remaining four

wheel

LE

It's been brutal.

I really feel your pain.

We rehomed this lad just before Christmas as his previous owner was struggling to manage him and his brother together. He's made himself at home here, being great company and occasional pain in the arrse! Good for me keeping fit as well, I'm walking him at least four miles a day. My Mrs works from home full time anyway so even when I eventually go back to the office after covid he'll still have company through the day. He's a jug rather than a pug so although he's still fairly flat faced he doesn't have the breathing or bulging eye problems like the pedigrees. I'd always had dogs growing up so it's good to have one again, even if he is much smaller than the staffys and Labradors I'm used to
Screenshot_20210219-172728_Gallery.jpg

anglo

LE
A dit,

On our return from South Africa, we brought two dogs back with us,
a Mastiff X Lab {Candy} and a Corker Spaniel, {Rufus} the X Mastiff was completely untrainable and the biggest thief on four legs, but soft as a brush.
The spaniel on the other hand was a clever little bugger, the first thing he did was to ingratiate himself with the Mrs, and the Mrs thought the sun shone out of the little dogs arse.
As a pup he would put his ear in his mouth, the Mrs encouraged him to keep doing it, on command, in front of people she would give the command" Rufus, ear in mouth" a flick of the head and his ear was in his mouth, with stumpy tail wagging, he would parade around the room, showing everybody what a clever little shit he is,
Then among things the Mrs taught him to guard, the fallout how from this was, the Mrs would go to bed early to read, Rufus would sneak upstairs and lay in the bedroom doorway, when I went up the Mrs would say "Guard Rufus", There was no way I was going to get into the bedroom, then she says "leave Rufus" and he became a friendly little frecker again.
The Mrs spent ages training Rufus, the best one was this,
What the punters saw,
Mrs, Rufus sit, {Rufus sits}
Mrs, Rufus one plus one, count,
Rufus, woof pause woof,
Mrs, Good boy Rufus, {Rufus gets a treat}
Mrs, Rufus two plus two count,
Rufus, woof pause woof pause woof pause woof
Mrs, Good boy Rufus, {Rufus gets a treat}
Rufus parades around enjoying his fame, the smart arse.

The reality was, every time the Mrs took the dog treats out, Rufus would give a Woof followed by another and another, there was a natural pause between woofs,
The Mrs used the command "count" every time she got the treats out, and soon she could say count and Rufus would woof, he would keep woofing till she stopped him, so all she had to do was stop him after the required number of woofs,
Yep, old Rufus was indeed a clever old boy, much missed in this household

pet003a.jpg
pet004a.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
20210221_104255_resized.jpg

The Fab Four spending quality time together...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Well that started my day on the right note!
Beautiful bunch.
Thank you. Trying to focus on how great they are, rather than the loss of the others.

Part of a tree came down in the High winds a couple of days back.
Lily is doing her best to dispose of it.
Screenshot_20210221-092250_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-092354_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-092324_Gallery.jpg

Latest Threads