ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course I’m sure you’re aware what KC registered labs are changing hands for these days.

You‘re sitting on about 20 grand‘s worth of puppies there.
We know, plus she has a pedigree full of Field Trials Chsmpions, and the boy friend is also from highly regarded gundog stock.
Most of the pups are going to friends and family, who don't have the kind of cash these dogs are advertised for. So we aren't going to make a fortune.

She, of course, will receive a nice new bed, and all the cheese she can eat.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We know, plus she has a pedigree full of Field Trials Chsmpions, and the boy friend is also from highly regarded gundog stock.
Most of the pups are going to friends and family, who don't have the kind of cash these dogs are advertised for. So we aren't going to make a fortune.

She, of course, will receive a nice new bed, and all the cheese she can eat.

Yeah it’s a hard one. We’re trying to send ours to mates and friends of friends. The pups going to good homes is a priority over making money.

If you advertise them too low you also risk people buying them and selling them on.

We haven’t even advertised ours yet and have already taken 5 deposits just from people we know.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah it’s a hard one. We’re trying to send ours to mates and friends of friends. The pups going to good homes is a priority over making money.

If you advertise them too low you also risk people buying them and selling them on.

We haven’t even advertised ours yet and have already taken 5 deposits just from people we know.
I don't think we are going to need to advertise either. If I am allowed to keep the little ginger girl, we will only have one boy left...

We were warned about selling cheap to strangers who would sell on, but for strangers it would be full retail, I think.

Having struggled to get them into the world, I wouldn't want to let them down by sending them off as "commodities".

jmb3296

War Hero
I don't think we are going to need to advertise either. If I am allowed to keep the little ginger girl, we will only have one boy left...

We were warned about selling cheap to strangers who would sell on, but for strangers it would be full retail, I think.

Having struggled to get them into the world, I wouldn't want to let them down by sending them off as "commodities".
I got vetted and background checked by the breeder who started to worry that she couldn’t find much as my online profile is well locked down.
My colleague who is the breeders neighbour and recommended me then got approached and had to vouch for me again and explain why they wouldn’t see much on line.
The breeder only mellowed when a mutual friend also took a pup and was able to vouch for me.
The breeder cancelled one sale when she found out the prospective owner worked full time and the pup would be alone in the house four weeks after receiving her.
Charging a lot of cash isn’t guaranteeing a good home either. Lots of halfwits throwing their money at pups just now without understanding what they are getting into and what the pup needs.
The breeder had us sign a contract ( I’m sure it could be broken but likely to weed out at least some of the feckless) didn’t charge the earth and spent a lot of time making sure the pups went to suitable homes.
I was really impressed.

Last edited:
I know it's the Scum but this made me laugh.

He soon discovered his golden-coated pup was just imitating his own injured walk out of sympathy.

Some years back, on the rare occaisions I was feeling unwell enough to have to go to bed during the day, my old Greyhound Max would climb up onto the bed and snuggle his head in right next to my shoulder and would lie there watching me with a very sympathetic expression.

It was actually quite comforting having him close when I was feeling a bit under the weather.

Ritch

LE
He soon discovered his golden-coated pup was just imitating his own injured walk out of sympathy.

Some years back, on the rare occaisions I was feeling unwell enough to have to go to bed during the day, my old Greyhound Max would climb up onto the bed and snuggle his head in right next to my shoulder and would lie there watching me with a very sympathetic expression.

It was actually quite comforting having him close when I was feeling a bit under the weather.
I once said something similar to a my old man when I'd come.home from hospital and he told me I was imagining too much.

My old dog Lucy, used to curl up with me in bed and put her paw over my arm each time. It was incredibly comforting.

Tyk

LE
I'm absolutely convinced that dogs know when you're feeling lousy or in pain, while they have limited intelligence they're not stupid. They're pack animals so they know moods and they have an astonishing sense of smell so they know when something pleases you and can smell pain hormones. As you react positively to a dog being sympathetic they know it helps.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm absolutely convinced that dogs know when you're feeling lousy or in pain, while they have limited intelligence they're not stupid. They're pack animals so they know moods and they have an astonishing sense of smell so they know when something pleases you and can smell pain hormones. As you react positively to a dog being sympathetic they know it helps.
Spot on. Our lovely girl knows exactly when hubby's condition is causing pain or sadness. She puts her head on his knee, or tries to lick him better.

Arse Gravy

War Hero
Spot on. Our lovely girl knows exactly when hubby's condition is causing pain or sadness. She puts her head on his knee, or tries to lick him better.
I hope it's not a groin strain.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Blogg

LE

Feeling pretty rough a few months ago and went back to bed to groan and feel pathetic.

Older dog did the velcro routine, essentially an excuse to snooze and fart on the bed with me well away from the very annoying younger dog.

And then the 8 month old giant puppy escaped upstairs and decided he wanted to "help" as well.

"Gerrup Daddy gerrup!" Trample, sniff, licky lick lick, snuffle, trample, squiggle, beat to death with tail, more trample sniff snuffle squiggle and lick.

It worked. I got up.

Trample, sniff, licky lick lick, snuffle, trample, squiggle, beat to death with tail, more trample
Happens to me daily, at 0800hrs. If I fail to comply, either I am savaged or my socks are eaten, which happens throughout the day anyway. I need a cattle-prod.

Mrs Meaty and I long ago discovered the mutual benefits as regards training of keeping two dogs, separated by about 4 - 5 years of age.
The theory being that the older more mature (Yeah, right,) dog will model the desired behaviour , acting as a role model, if you will.
Our first working 'Lab was Heidi, a brilliant retriever who liked to crawl up the length of the bed and then with the greatest delicacy and gentleness wrap herself around my head - tightly so as to form a "Labrapillow". All nice and cozy but after a while became too hot to be comfortable. Dog gently pushed away then rinse and repeat.

Then along came Tilly, who learnt to be an equally as good a retriever as her mentor Heidi; so far, so good.

But now we had two Labradors that make "Labrapillows".

Guess what, for the last 30 plus years all of our dogs like being "Labrapillows".

Any day working with dogs is a good day in my book.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
20210118_173703_resized.jpg

Tiny bundles of loveliness. Each with their own character already.

Tyk

LE
can your dog climb a ladder

Seen a springer do that quite happily, up and down.
Her owner had a Jack that was a bugger for climbing trees and quite bizarrely would also retrieve downed birds undamaged, guess she learned from the springer. She retrieved a shot duck that had crashed into a tree using the springer as a step to get going.