Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

I think I saw an ad for something you put in the machine if doing animal bedding which takes all the hairs - probably in one of those little catalogues which come with the weekend papers
I think it will be a search on Gum tree for a 2nd machine, for all the animal stuff.

Floods in Mexico, Marines rescue a labrador that was surviving by standing on its hind legs. Labrador becomes part of the Marine family

1605727691642.png

1605727725652.png

1605727768093.png

Teeblerone

War Hero
This thread is billiant, that you all for the advice, pics, laughs, kindnesses & bravery.
Folks' dog just back from the vet for jabs & athriitis assessment, going to give that Metacalm(?) stuff a go; cod liver oil & green-lipped mussel tablets worked for the last pup. Tess (this one) is currently fond of liver, high hopes of sneaking the tablets in.

Funny enough, I had a dream about the past dogs just this morning. Whiskey, born when I was to the day, pure black spaniel/lab/mutt, wavy shiny coat, lab ears, but 'looked like they had a perm. Gert big soft lump, favourite things (apart from tennis balls) was getting sprayed with grass clippings from the mower & was the sisters' substitute pony when they were tiny.
Shuffled off at 14, crossed over with Teeble, half-sized, smooth-coated Alsatian x jack russel x heinz 57. Looked exactly like an Alsatian, but for the coat & slightly terrier face. Littermate Sam was wiry, black, shortlegged terrier. Favourite thing was collecting stones from under water and perching on the arms of chairs. And trying to join in conversations by grumbling & rumbling. Would remind you of dinnertime, walkies time by very gently holding your wrist & leading you to the appropriate place.
Callie the border collie: pretty dog, loved to sit on your lap, make intelligent-head-movements & rest her head on your shoulder & go to sleep. Then look at you out the top of her eyes, all serious & unleash a severe facewashing. You could scratch her rump all day long but would go crazy if your touched her haunches/rear feathers. Hate to think what had happened to her before rescued..
Current pooch Princess/Pest is another very pretty BC bitch, cleverest of the lot. Obsessed by aeroplanes & birds, allegedly kept chained in a field in ireland. Heartbreakingly, it took her years to learn how to play & stops if she thinks anyone is watching her, though likes a game of chase when it suits her.
Throughly eviscerates every toy she's ever had, except a 4" high fabric duck that the folks' friends bought her when she first arrived; she plays toss & catch & then wash with that one. Still fierce when the doorbell goes, very wary of new people, especially men. Tries to stalk, but reacts instantly to being called back & behave.. Stops at the junction of paths & fields before being told. Bugger to get out of a puddle, though. Edit: First bitch I've seen who does a 'handstand' to pee.

First two were from people we knew, both border collies were rescued.

Sorry for the long post and no pics yet, it all just welled up. Possibly because Madam Pest might be on a downward slope.
Thank you all for the posts & pics, need to open a window to get rid of some dust...

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Will be celebrating Charley Girl's 16th birthday with mixed feelings tomorrow.

This week my aunt lost one of her dogs to cancer on Tuesday, closely followed by the mother in law's small terrier on Friday to the same affliction.

anglo

LE
Dogs we used to look after,
They liked gardening

DSC03168.JPG
DSC03186.JPG

below,
They slept in the spare bedroom at night they would come and look at you in the middle of the night,
wouldn't bother you, then go back to their beds

DSC03216.JPG
DSC03225.JPG
DSC03226.JPG

Lovely lovely dogs

Tyk

LE
Sorry if already posted.

Seems to fit in well with the thread and ARRSE. Good dog, I'd buy him a box of Boneos if I knew where he'd retired to. Badly wounded and saved his mates.

Last edited:

Kalu19

Swinger
This is my boy Maui.

When my daughter was born, he got a new best friend. Couldn't wish for a better dog to have around my daughter.
IMG_20200822_171746.jpg

Last edited:
Enough of all these tales of a 'bond between man and his dog'. I had to wake the vet from a deep sleep last night after discovering Son's gremlin joyfully munching his way through a whole two-week supply of pills from the 'safe' part of the shelf in the bedroom - Allopurinol, Bisoprolol and Aspirin. The 'bond' evaporated pretty quickly, and it was greatly satisfying to see him woefully whooping up great piles of vomit in the vet's carpark. He's as diabolical as ever today, though, so no obvious damage to his system; just to my current account.

Bloody dog for sale - caveat emptor.

I'm not going to apologise for re-posting this . . .

Published - AGAIN - by: Compassion in World Farming, on 26 November 2020.

Hopefully, others will also Sign & Share . . .

It’s a disgrace: the UK Government is still blocking attempts to legally protect animal welfare in trade deals.

Under relentless pressure from Compassion supporters, other campaigners, and the House of Lords, the Government has committed to increase parliamentary scrutiny of new free trade agreements.

Yet it refuses to require, by law, that food imports meet British animal welfare standards.

We cannot allow the UK to import cruelty.

Posted on: the "All Inter-web videos and links" thread; the Smallholding/Farming thread; the Cat thread; and, the Dog thread.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A dog in the White House at any time in the last four years would have been the smartest member of the household......

Not to mention the next four too.

"Tough on squirrels, tough on the causes of squirrels..."

Anyway, on a lighter note, my boys enjoying the current flooding hereabouts:

1606395393986.png

wheel

LE
I'm not going to apologise for re-posting this . . .

Published - AGAIN - by: Compassion in World Farming, on 26 November 2020.

Hopefully, others will also Sign & Share . . .

It’s a disgrace: the UK Government is still blocking attempts to legally protect animal welfare in trade deals.

Under relentless pressure from Compassion supporters, other campaigners, and the House of Lords, the Government has committed to increase parliamentary scrutiny of new free trade agreements.

Yet it refuses to require, by law, that food imports meet British animal welfare standards.

We cannot allow the UK to import cruelty.

Posted on: the "All Inter-web videos and links" thread; the Smallholding/Farming thread; the Cat thread; and, the Dog thread.
You should apologise. You post this stuff all over the place , if you are so concerned set up a thread. The number of hits and replies will give you an indication if people are interested or not. If every member posted their individual champion causes in multiple thread it would get most irritating.
I am not saying it is not a just cause.

No comment just enjoy. ;)
A very excellent - and extravagant - remake of the original restaurant! Good find. Thank you ;) .

Enough of all these tales of a 'bond between man and his dog'. I had to wake the vet from a deep sleep last night after discovering Son's gremlin joyfully munching his way through a whole two-week supply of pills from the 'safe' part of the shelf in the bedroom - Allopurinol, Bisoprolol and Aspirin. The 'bond' evaporated pretty quickly, and it was greatly satisfying to see him woefully whooping up great piles of vomit in the vet's carpark. He's as diabolical as ever today, though, so no obvious damage to his system; just to my current account.

Bloody dog for sale - caveat emptor.
Had a similar experience a couple of years back. We were on St Agnes in the Scillies evening walking the woodpikeydog who appeared from the bushes with blue stuff in her gob. Turned out some scunner had (illegally) left rat poison around his lobster pots and she had been munching on it.
The only vet is in St Mary’s, across the water and no boats running... Some frantic phone calls raised a local with a RIB (the type that looks like a floating motorbike) who took us at great speed across the choppy water to St Marys.
A miracle of phone reception had a taxi waiting to rush us to the vet (Heike Dorn) who had crashed out to meet us with a shot of emetic. 10 mins later the hound is hooping her guts up and produced an enormous pile of blue vomit (to the amazement of the onlookers).
Another phone call raised the local Med Centre who provided us with a tube of activated charcoal (“we keep this for the kids that overdose”) then down to the harbour to try and get back to St Agnes.
No boats running at this time of night, but our good luck continued and we bumped into a bunch of stereotypical Hooray Henries on their way home, who insisted we ride back on their chartered boat.
Here‘s miss Butter-wouldn’t-melt on ‘her’ pillow...
View attachment 525657
Try as we might, no one would accept payment; we eventually got the RIB driver to accept a tank of fuel, and the vet accepted a donation to a local charity.

I think my Westie is going in the head. She is 15 now and has slowed right down.
Every evening she goes to the back door and asks to be let out. Once outside she is asking to be let back in again.
Even before you have had the chance to sit back down she can be asking to go out again.

tales of a 'bond between man and his dog'
Bloody goblin had a good German cheese yesterday - which I'd carefully placed on top of the toaster out of his way - and was caught this evening with a pack of fine pork sausages in his gub. His mistake was flaunting them in the doorway to the living room, at which point a chase started - Steve McQueen would have been proud. Lucky for him he hadn't broken the wrapping with his gleaming teeth, so we had them with some fava beans and a nice Chianti a big wooden spoon at hand.

I'll find the brute on my bed again tonight; he only goes there to show that he can. Strangely, even at his age and size, he won't walk up stairs, or get into the back of a car by himself. This trait can be exploited.

I think my Westie is going in the head. She is 15 now and has slowed right down.
Every evening she goes to the back door and asks to be let out. Once outside she is asking to be let back in again.
Even before you have had the chance to sit back down she can be asking to go out again.
At that age it could be dog dementia

Yeah, sounds like our poor old Cocker-Collie cross got in the last few years. Initially I thought it was her being clever and associating coming back inside with getting a treat, but it proved to be dog-dementia. :(

Latest Threads