Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Advice please Chaps/chapesses... who are your hounds insured with? I'm looking at Purely Pets at the moment, but would appreciate any personal experiences/ recommendations.
We're with Animal Friends on recommendation of our niece. It's not expensive at £10.99 a month. They have paid out twice for injuries to our labrador, and if your dog is ill one year, they will not decline to cover that illness the next year, as many do.
I’d thought I’d have a look at them as my pet insurance needs reviewing, GRatbrat May have been lucky but check out these reviews.

They have also appeared on BBC’s Watchdog. I’m still looking.
It’s worse than car insurance.

I’d thought I’d have a look at them as my pet insurance needs reviewing, GRatbrat May have been lucky but check out these reviews.

They have also appeared on BBC’s Watchdog. I’m still looking.
It’s worse than car insurance.
Thank you - a friend has suggested Purely Pets, so reading their fine print at the moment.

In my mind, they're all robbing, thieving vultures - and I work in a Bank!

Clover was killed this morning after her lead snapped and she ran into traffic.
Dave my former mate recieved bruising from me punching the stupid cünt off his feet when he came to tell me.
I have repeatedly argued with him about his lead.
He was using an extendable lead, which because she was teething she was constantly trying to chew the lead. He stuck 2x2 ft length of chain on. Held together by the cheapest shitty rings from some old key tags.
I was constantly on at him to use a shorter lead until she was trained to his side but he kept fobbing me off with shes too young to train.
I even supplied him with 2 1/2 shackles that are use for hanging signs up rated to 100kg to properly join the lead and chains.
2200 last night walking lily and Clover. 3 times in 1 ten minute walk he had to stop and bend the shìtty rings back into rough shape.
She was forever pulling like a train and he would just fob it off.
He would moan when I walked her because I would use a proper chain and make her walk beside me.
To help with the pulling I bought a halti.
But Daves wife declared them cruel (They're both pensioners and shes the original old wife that believes old wives tales) and wouldn't listen so that was that.
I am fuçking raging. I would walk her with Lily while they did their shopping.
I taught her to sit, give paw and stay.
Her recall was great too, I had been taking her to the old tennis courts and once locked in she had a big safe space to run and I worked on her recall.
Dave would moan shes too young to train.
I sorry I punched him only once now.
What a prick. That poor dog.

What a prick. That poor dog.

Hes was a good mate, met when I first got Lily. Walking the dog and we got on. He had another dog that died of old age and he used to borrow Lily or mind her when needed.
When he got big Barney we became even better friends as Barney and Lily became joined at the hip.
Hes 20 odd years older than me, but apart from dogs we had a lot in common. Such as archery and doorwork.
But when it came to telling him anything he was set in his ways.
Hes always adopted older rescue dogs. So Clover was his first puppy and he would not take advice.
I am not sad, I am angry.
Hes got half my shed tools and I have told him to keep the fuçking things as I don't trust myself to not punch the big daft bastard again.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
On longer walks keep an eye out for chaffing Under the armpits*** we had to fit some addittional padding in 1 or 2 places

Oh and if they swim it wont stop them, so if on a overnighter - when applying Dog can carry its own kit you may want to reconsider the towel

***yes I know but - its a good descriptor - you know wher i mean
We've used these for the last three years, all that goes in them is food in Ziplocs, water in 500ml bottles and a rain jacket - Ruby the GSD decided to go swimming last year, in a big stream / small river, the backpack initially became a buoyancy aid, carrying her downstream, it then became waterlogged and stopped her climbing out.... Thankfully I had her on a search lead so I could retrieve her before things got too serious. The Ridgeback is in no danger of doing anything similar, she'll reluctantly go ankle-deep and no further!

The Hurtta harnesses don't seem to cause any chafing but are a bugger to get adjusted - and readjusted for seasonal weight loss / gain. Good kit if a little expensive.

So having calmed down and talked to another mate who was with Dave when it happened. Turns out I was wrong about the lead, it wasn't the one I have had words with him about.
But one his granddaughter bought, apparently from poundland type shop with her pocket money at the weekend.
So I have just eaten humble pie and apologised to him.
His reply of don't worry I know your heart was in the right place.
Made me feel a bigger cuñt than I already did.
I also went to the corner shop and watched the cctv.
I think she was killed instantly, hit by a van and knocked into opposite lane and squashed flat by a bigger van.
Guy in the shop formatted the hdd to erase it after I watched it.
He was a star and covered her up.
Got her body into a box and drove Dave home.
15 minutes after that was when he knocked on my door and I reacted like a cùnt.
Don't want anyone going away thinking hes a cùnt.
He doesn't know how to tell his granddaughter, I have advised not mentioning the lead to her.

So having calmed down and talked to another mate who was with Dave when it happened. Turns out I was wrong about the lead, it wasn't the one I have had words with him about.
But one his granddaughter bought, apparently from poundland type shop with her pocket money at the weekend.
So I have just eaten humble pie and apologised to him.
His reply of don't worry I know your heart was in the right place.
Made me feel a bigger cuñt than I already did.
I also went to the corner shop and watched the cctv.
I think she was killed instantly, hit by a van and knocked into opposite lane and squashed flat by a bigger van.
Guy in the shop formatted the hdd to erase it after I watched it.
He was a star and covered her up.
Got her body into a box and drove Dave home.
15 minutes after that was when he knocked on my door and I reacted like a cùnt.
Don't want anyone going away thinking hes a cùnt.
He doesn't know how to tell his granddaughter, I have advised not mentioning the lead to her.
You’re a big man for telling us that,I have a lot of respect for you ( and Lily )

Teg61

Old-Salt
Advice please Chaps/chapesses... who are your hounds insured with? I'm looking at Purely Pets at the moment, but would appreciate any personal experiences/ recommendations.
We have both dogs insured with Pet Plan. I know they are expensive but they insure the dog for its whole life no matter what! Both mutts have had serious claims, Meg had her cruciate ligaments go on both hind legs within a year of each other. Ended up at £2500 a leg. Insurance paid out on both occasions without any hassle at all. Murphy had severe gut problems and was losing lots of weight, ended up having to go to Dicks school in Edinburgh where they found out he had IBS! Again insurance paid everything no questions asked almost £6000 in total for all his tests/scopes/treatment etc.

Teg61

Old-Salt
Early morning walk this morning, it was a cracking morning on the beach.
C2A4BD8F-9C2D-411D-9642-3BF64C293A51.jpeg

And totally pointless - because it does nothing to protect the pads.

The bit in contact with the snow and where most heat loss occurs

My two chilling. They get on like a house on fire which is a relief. Dog is really shooting up for 16 weeks

BD0BBFF7-CDB6-4D2C-A565-1DF47B77FC9E.jpeg

4F58C2E4-8F6C-4E32-8F9D-80A8E586684B.jpeg

25678C2E-4B73-4663-9FD6-2C0F8CE8AD2F.jpeg

Glad there's been no issue of acceptance of a new pack mate. Lovely dogs, I bet you can feel my envy from here.

thanks yeah - they are absolutely lovely. Great breed and the lad is ace. Really calm surprisingly enough

The 8-week old Terror of South London has arrived. Here's Keswick...
Keswick.jpg

(He's the one without the stripes).

One poo outside, two accidents (wee only) inside.

He's not wee'd outside yet - any tips?

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
The 8-week old Terror of South London has arrived. Here's Keswick...View attachment 505952

(He's the one without the stripes).

One poo outside, two accidents (wee only) inside.

He's not wee'd outside yet - any tips?
At this stage, definitely don’t tell him off for accidents. Just take him straight out doors as soon as you notice he has done it, then put him where you want him to wee and say Wee (or whatever your “trigger word” is ) - here. Then later, take him there preemptively and use the trigger word followed by IMMENSE praise when he eventually does. The current hound’s trigger words are “Weewee time”, my brother used “Trigger”;for one of his. Good luck, lovely looking pup.

Last edited: