Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you thought of trying a bit closer to the UK perhaps?
Mate of mine in the SE bit of the UK spent ages visiting Dogs Trust etc, even up as far as Yorkshire, all there seemed to be to him was ex-pikey whippets and similar and the obligatory pit-bulls.
Came over to France on hols, we visited a couple of local places and he took home a setter cross pointer.
Homes here are only licensed for so many dogs so they are glad to see one go out so they have the space to take another in.
His poor lad was wandering the streets for 3 weeks until they had a space for him in the refuge.
Settled in to the UK fine, his chip is re-registered and they come ready chipped with passport and no knackers.
We seem to get a wider variety of breeds in the homes here too.

(Just a thought perhaps for when all this kerfuffle is over)
We've had rescue dogs in the past from breed-specific charities such as ridgebackrescue.co.uk whilst they did a visit to check we were suitable and were who we claimed to be, once they saw photo's of our previous dogs and met the GSD we had at the time, they were more than happy. We haven't a massive garden but having photo's of Ruby (our GSD) out & about showed that we were no strangers to the countryside.

bruce1.jpg

not sure about this big lad
Bruce2.jpg

Nah I will put him his place
Bruce3.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
You utter utter bar steward. WHY can't I go out to play in the garden on my own. It's so UNFAIR!
20200910_170146_resized.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Has any one seen a Dalmatian who thinks he’s (or she’s) a lap dog?
He‘s ten next week and has been like this since we got him at 8 weeks old.

what a softy.
228A28DF-6EAB-435A-9636-CD6EC3FC203C.jpeg

Well, the Mrs and I may have put down a deposit to pick up this little bundle of fluff next week. 7.5 week old Cockapoo; to be named "Keswick".
20200912_211821.jpg

(That's my actual face; I suffered a horrific accident on the set of Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

pinback2001

RIP
RIP
Last Autumn, my mate, his dog Buster and I took a trip from Fort William on the train to Mallaig.
When we got there (it was a sweltering day) we hit the pub (to give the dog some shade)
When we exited, my mate went over the road to the supermarket for whisky, and I was left in charge of Buster, a LARGE black lab, who promptly walked into the middle of the road and lay down
Try as I might, the big lump wouldn't move. I had to stand there with him to stop him being run over, all the while telling the tourists who had stopped to watch proceedings "He's not my dog, and he's ignoring me"
Gary came out of the shop, crossed the road and said to me "if you want his attention try this" then said " Buster, want a bit?"
Up jumps the fat bar steward and follows us back to the pavement
I can now control that dog!

IMG-20200912-WA0067.jpg

Lily helping my daughter pack for uni...

anglo

LE
Well, the Mrs and I may have put down a deposit to pick up this little bundle of fluff next week. 7.5 week old Cockapoo; to be named "Keswick".
View attachment 503999

(That's my actual face; I suffered a horrific accident on the set of Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
We look after one of that make on one of our dog sitting jobs,
Mad as a box of frogs, they have a lovely temperament
Just want to play all day
This one has a thing to run off, so, they have an electronic fence
and he wears a collar, he knows exactly where he can go,
If they didn't have the fence he would have to be locked in.

Advice please Chaps/chapesses... who are your hounds insured with? I'm looking at Purely Pets at the moment, but would appreciate any personal experiences/ recommendations.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Advice please Chaps/chapesses... who are your hounds insured with? I'm looking at Purely Pets at the moment, but would appreciate any personal experiences/ recommendations.
We're with Animal Friends on recommendation of our niece. It's not expensive at £10.99 a month. They have paid out twice for injuries to our labrador, and if your dog is ill one year, they will not decline to cover that illness the next year, as many do.

Lily helping my daughter pack for uni...

Makes sense to me. Dog wants to go to university with her.

My Canadian Goddaughter started McGill Univ last year but the spring semester was virtual.
Over the summer she talked her parents into a Portuguese Water Dog, Maverick.
Lovely dog! This fall at McGill will all be virtual for her and she is delighted that she will have more time with Maverick.

This breed loves to swim( hence the name). Back when my Lizzie the Springer was still with us she loved the beach at the end of my street. A neighbor Carol would also usually be down there with her PWD. My Lizzies best friend, they would swim and run in and out of the water for an hour.

Good luck with your dog. I hope you live near water, they love it.

Clover was killed this morning after her lead snapped and she ran into traffic.
Dave my former mate recieved bruising from me punching the stupid cünt off his feet when he came to tell me.
I have repeatedly argued with him about his lead.
He was using an extendable lead, which because she was teething she was constantly trying to chew the lead. He stuck 2x2 ft length of chain on. Held together by the cheapest shitty rings from some old key tags.
I was constantly on at him to use a shorter lead until she was trained to his side but he kept fobbing me off with shes too young to train.
I even supplied him with 2 1/2 shackles that are use for hanging signs up rated to 100kg to properly join the lead and chains.
2200 last night walking lily and Clover. 3 times in 1 ten minute walk he had to stop and bend the shìtty rings back into rough shape.
She was forever pulling like a train and he would just fob it off.
He would moan when I walked her because I would use a proper chain and make her walk beside me.
To help with the pulling I bought a halti.
But Daves wife declared them cruel (They're both pensioners and shes the original old wife that believes old wives tales) and wouldn't listen so that was that.
I am fuçking raging. I would walk her with Lily while they did their shopping.
I taught her to sit, give paw and stay.
Her recall was great too, I had been taking her to the old tennis courts and once locked in she had a big safe space to run and I worked on her recall.
Dave would moan shes too young to train.
I sorry I punched him only once now.

Thats really shit mate , made worse because it was completely unavoidable.

You did your best to help them,

Took our two out for a 'training run' today with their backpacks, to 'remind' them prior to taking them camping at the end of next month. They're carrying 1.5kg each initially, building up to 5kg over the next few weeks. They can handle the weight fine but they have never developed any spatial awareness, consequentially, the backpacks, backs of knees etc. take a beating...

As you can see, it doesn't slow them down at all....

On longer walks keep an eye out for chaffing Under the armpits*** we had to fit some addittional padding in 1 or 2 places

Oh and if they swim it wont stop them, so if on a overnighter - when applying Dog can carry its own kit you may want to reconsider the towel

***yes I know but - its a good descriptor - you know wher i mean

16 weeks today. New hound ‘Spud’ chilling out after a hard lunch. Mutt is ace. He’s already at heal with no lead. Responds to whistle commands of sit and come. Will sit and stay when told. Fantastic breed.

55999BAA-8AA9-4AAF-9FD6-891E654804D3.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We're with Animal Friends on recommendation of our niece. It's not expensive at £10.99 a month. They have paid out twice for injuries to our labrador, and if your dog is ill one year, they will not decline to cover that illness the next year, as many do.
I’d thought I’d have a look at them as my pet insurance needs reviewing, GRatbrat May have been lucky but check out these reviews.

They have also appeared on BBC’s Watchdog. I’m still looking.
It’s worse than car insurance.

I’d thought I’d have a look at them as my pet insurance needs reviewing, GRatbrat May have been lucky but check out these reviews.

They have also appeared on BBC’s Watchdog. I’m still looking.
It’s worse than car insurance.
Thank you - a friend has suggested Purely Pets, so reading their fine print at the moment.

In my mind, they're all robbing, thieving vultures - and I work in a Bank!

Clover was killed this morning after her lead snapped and she ran into traffic.
Dave my former mate recieved bruising from me punching the stupid cünt off his feet when he came to tell me.
I have repeatedly argued with him about his lead.
He was using an extendable lead, which because she was teething she was constantly trying to chew the lead. He stuck 2x2 ft length of chain on. Held together by the cheapest shitty rings from some old key tags.
I was constantly on at him to use a shorter lead until she was trained to his side but he kept fobbing me off with shes too young to train.
I even supplied him with 2 1/2 shackles that are use for hanging signs up rated to 100kg to properly join the lead and chains.
2200 last night walking lily and Clover. 3 times in 1 ten minute walk he had to stop and bend the shìtty rings back into rough shape.
She was forever pulling like a train and he would just fob it off.
He would moan when I walked her because I would use a proper chain and make her walk beside me.
To help with the pulling I bought a halti.
But Daves wife declared them cruel (They're both pensioners and shes the original old wife that believes old wives tales) and wouldn't listen so that was that.
I am fuçking raging. I would walk her with Lily while they did their shopping.
I taught her to sit, give paw and stay.
Her recall was great too, I had been taking her to the old tennis courts and once locked in she had a big safe space to run and I worked on her recall.
Dave would moan shes too young to train.
I sorry I punched him only once now.
What a prick. That poor dog.

What a prick. That poor dog.

Hes was a good mate, met when I first got Lily. Walking the dog and we got on. He had another dog that died of old age and he used to borrow Lily or mind her when needed.
When he got big Barney we became even better friends as Barney and Lily became joined at the hip.
Hes 20 odd years older than me, but apart from dogs we had a lot in common. Such as archery and doorwork.
But when it came to telling him anything he was set in his ways.
Hes always adopted older rescue dogs. So Clover was his first puppy and he would not take advice.
I am not sad, I am angry.
Hes got half my shed tools and I have told him to keep the fuçking things as I don't trust myself to not punch the big daft bastard again.