ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyhow, the latest is that the ultrasound revealed nothing sinister (so that's good), but they still want to keep her on iv fluids and run more blood tests tomorrow morning to see if certain things have improved, so I'm just hoping she continues to get better and perhaps she'll be back home tomorrow or Sunday latest, ready to resume her bossy little ways.

(I expect @wheel will say they're keeping her in to maximise their profits - but I don't want her home until I'm confident that she's well).

wheel

LE
Anyhow, the latest is that the ultrasound revealed nothing sinister (so that's good), but they still want to keep her on iv fluids and run more blood tests tomorrow morning to see if certain things have improved, so I'm just hoping she continues to get better and perhaps she'll be back home tomorrow or Sunday latest, ready to resume her bossy little ways.

(I expect @wheel will say they're keeping her in to maximise their profits - but I don't want her home until I'm confident that she's well).
Wheel and his hound are sharing beer and crisps so I will be logging off very soon. Hope she is back home and well with you tomorrow.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Wheel and his hound are sharing beer and crisps so I will be logging off very soon. Hope she is back home and well with you tomorrow.

Hope you and hound enjoy the beer and crisps but I must add a reminder for all - salt, sugar, smoked meats and all the good stuff that we enjoy can cause serious damage to small elderly dogs - I'm forever reminding the other half that if it's bad for us imagine what it does to her tiny body!

(Not aimed at you, wheel, but just a reminder to all - perhaps I'm feeling guilty about the squid rings :-( )

wheel

LE
Hope you and hound enjoy the beer and crisps but I must add a reminder for all - salt, sugar, smoked meats and all the good stuff that we enjoy can cause serious damage to small elderly dogs - I'm forever reminding the other half that if it's bad for us imagine what it does to her tiny body!

(Not aimed at you, wheel, but just a reminder to all - perhaps I'm feeling guilty about the squid rings :-( )
Real ale is probably not good for hounds but he loves it , and still manages to get up and go rabbiting in the morning.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest from vet is that the girl is responding well to treatment, and we should collect her and bring her home at 6pm.

Real ale is probably not good for hounds but he loves it , and still manages to get up and go rabbiting in the morning.
I was told by my dentist some years ago that beer is full of vitamins, minerals and other stuff which is good for you - it is the alcohol which is the problem, particularly in excess. In any case he also said that beer does not harm your teeth, unlike stuff such as Coke and all the fizzy sugary stuff...

I'm sure that as long as your hound sticks to decent beer, drinks in moderation and doesn't get p*ssed too often he will be fine... ;-)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest from vet is that the girl is responding well to treatment, and we should collect her and bring her home at 6pm.
Good news. Fingers crossed it's just a silly phase she's going through.

Elke loves it, as does Merlin.

PA272384.JPG

ETA: Elke will also get up on the table to get her share. She's been known to bat her eyes at strangers for a slurp of their pint, and later when in her cups, mug them by getting up on the seat in a booth and cornering them. Protect your pint and you get kissed. Protect your face and your pint is hers.

Either way, she wins.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
She's home. :)
Smelling like a tart's boudoir, must be something they wash their blankets in. Vile undogful as Kipling's dogs would say. Enough medicines to sink a small battleship but only for a couple of days. She's a bit subdued but I think she's glad to be home. What with face covering and hand sanitiser, she didn't recognise me at first when I went to pick her up, then recognition dawned and she wiggled her tail muchly.

She's home. :)
Smelling like a tart's boudoir, must be something they wash their blankets in. Vile undogful as Kipling's dogs would say. Enough medicines to sink a small battleship but only for a couple of days. She's a bit subdued but I think she's glad to be home. What with face covering and hand sanitiser, she didn't recognise me at first when I went to pick her up, then recognition dawned and she wiggled her tail muchly.
I remember collecting my first GSD from the veterinary hospital after a hernia op.
The vet nurse came round the corner of the corridor with Jed on a lead.
As soon as he saw me he made a beeline for me, and pulled her off her feet

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
And so it begins. Apparently the vets have a special interest in examining Her Majesty the Dog's royal dog eggs. As from tomorrow I have to collect, in a little pot with a spoon like you used to get for ice cream, a sample of her shits from three consecutive days.

Then, on the day of the appointment (Tuesday) they also want a pee sample collected, of course, with the obligatory bright yellow funnel of shame - the hole in which is so small it ensures that the pee overflows it and runs down your hand. All academic of course, as she pees so sparingly and is so close to the ground that it'll be like trying to get pee from an old fashioned carpet sweeper.

At least I'm ahead of the game so far as labelling the sample pots is concerned. I learned that lesson early on. If you don't label them prior to collecting the precious material and it runs down the side of the jar, it's too late!

And so it begins. Apparently the vets have a special interest in examining Her Majesty the Dog's royal dog eggs. As from tomorrow I have to collect, in a little pot with a spoon like you used to get for ice cream, a sample of her shits from three consecutive days.

Then, on the day of the appointment (Tuesday) they also want a pee sample collected, of course, with the obligatory bright yellow funnel of shame - the hole in which is so small it ensures that the pee overflows it and runs down your hand. All academic of course, as she pees so sparingly and is so close to the ground that it'll be like trying to get pee from an old fashioned carpet sweeper.

At least I'm ahead of the game so far as labelling the sample pots is concerned. I learned that lesson early on. If you don't label them prior to collecting the precious material and it runs down the side of the jar, it's too late!
A suitable size container on a stick will assist collecting pee, dont ask.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
A suitable size container on a stick will assist collecting pee, dont ask.
A good tip WW, but I still have grave doubts about getting anything underneath a tiny yorkie!

Top Tip: Get a coat-hanger, shape it into a long, diamond shape and put a plastic bag over it. Then whip it under her when she takes a squat. The plastic bag will catch it and you can then tip it out into a funnel/bottle.

Latest Threads