ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
When they have eliminated all the things it isn't, you will know what it is.
Not necessarily. :-(

Whatever it is, I just want to bring a better dog home soon.

(And for her to enjoy the Lily's kitchen gourmet grub that she likes so much - I only stocked up this morning, thinking she'd just got a mild dose of the pukes!)

wheel

LE

(And for her to enjoy the Lily's kitchen gourmet grub that she likes so much - I only stocked up this morning, thinking she'd just got a mild dose of the pukes!)
Fingers Crossed for you.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Hope all is well tomorrow.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Well it looks as if time and a cruel twist of fate have finally collided. Sapphire's trachea is making life very unpleasant for her and her hind legs are making it very hard to deposit a number two, she sits on the grass because she can't pinch it off, that then sticks to her bum if not checked. I'm now washing her bum daily.
It feels like the end of the world because I'm too weak to sort her out after my triple bypass 8 weeks ago and the subsequent AKI kidney failure. Christ I can't even afford the vet fee let alone get to them ( This is not an appeal for cash, I can overcome this problem) She has bought me so much joy and saved my life on a few occasions when I'm having or about to have a cardiac event. She used to sleep on my forehead and then my chest as a puppy, from the first minute we met a bond of trust really set in and she has never had to walk with a leash, unless the law or circumstances dictated so.
A couple of fond memories spring to mind, making friends with a giant tortoise as a pup at the local fete and both of them having a slow walk about together before a kid got rid of her ham and cucumber sandwich from the family picnic, saffy spat out the cucumber and the tortoise had it. The family thought it was part of the show until I apologised for not keeping a closer look. No problems, it's made our day ( as the girl was getting a free face wash from saffy.
Another time I was walking her at about 23:00, because of recent attacks by badly bred Staffs, as we were walking across the field we heard plenty of sirens and a car HT a few moving vehicles before entering the park, the driver to his dismay found out the bollards had been replaced. 4 jumped out and starburst to the four compass points. One shot into the woods and must of thought it was his lucky day because it was thick undergrowth and the helicopter was at least 15 mins away and it's night cameras were so useless that it was almost impossible to tell the difference between deer and doggers, I was told this by a police Sgt friend who also took my statement the next day.
Anyway we walked on the path next to the woods, being extremely nosy, when Saffy stopped and started a low deep growl, I heard movement and grabbing my mutt we did a tactical and silent running away.
When getting to the crash site I told one of the rapidly growing cops about the noise, at first I was treated with suspicion until another constable told his colleague he had noticed a series of red lights at knee height walking across the field before the car stopped.
He asked where shouts but couldn't find him, I said I would show him he was worried about safety until I mentioned there were now at least 12 of them. We walked along and about 50 yards away while still on the path Saffy did the same. The policeman then shouted out it was useless trying to hide because there was now a dog on the scene and if he could see her collar you know I'm talking the truth. Saffy then growled again, thank god because her Yorkie bark would of made into a Monty python sketch.
A voice then shouted hold the dog I'm coming out.
We all came close to having an overdose of brown adrenaline when he shouted because he was only about 3 metre's away. He had seen the flashing collar and was taken in completely.
About 4 officers used torches to guide him and to mess up his night vision but by then I was 30 metres away sitting on a park bench.
My wife remembered her first Christmas and infatuation with Christmas tree gables and one of her first walks. Saffy was so small at the time my wife used a rabbit harness, suddenly the lead went really tight and saffy barked in disgust. It had been snowing and as saffy followed my wife's footsteps avoiding disappearing in the snow, her 4 tiny legs all went through the gaps of a drain. No harm though.
I know this post is like war and peace, but it has made me feel better. She has enough medication into Saturday however all this is doing is making her slightly more comfortable

Attachments

Well it looks as if time and a cruel twist of fate have finally collided. Sapphire's trachea is making life very unpleasant for her and her hind legs are making it very hard to deposit a number two, she sits on the grass because she can't pinch it off, that then sticks to her bum if not checked. I'm now washing her bum daily.
It feels like the end of the world because I'm too weak to sort her out after my triple bypass 8 weeks ago and the subsequent AKI kidney failure. Christ I can't even afford the vet fee let alone get to them ( This is not an appeal for cash, I can overcome this problem) She has bought me so much joy and saved my life on a few occasions when I'm having or about to have a cardiac event. She used to sleep on my forehead and then my chest as a puppy, from the first minute we met a bond of trust really set in and she has never had to walk with a leash, unless the law or circumstances dictated so.
A couple of fond memories spring to mind, making friends with a giant tortoise as a pup at the local fete and both of them having a slow walk about together before a kid got rid of her ham and cucumber sandwich from the family picnic, saffy spat out the cucumber and the tortoise had it. The family thought it was part of the show until I apologised for not keeping a closer look. No problems, it's made our day ( as the girl was getting a free face wash from saffy.
Another time I was walking her at about 23:00, because of recent attacks by badly bred Staffs, as we were walking across the field we heard plenty of sirens and a car HT a few moving vehicles before entering the park, the driver to his dismay found out the bollards had been replaced. 4 jumped out and starburst to the four compass points. One shot into the woods and must of thought it was his lucky day because it was thick undergrowth and the helicopter was at least 15 mins away and it's night cameras were so useless that it was almost impossible to tell the difference between deer and doggers, I was told this by a police Sgt friend who also took my statement the next day.
Anyway we walked on the path next to the woods, being extremely nosy, when Saffy stopped and started a low deep growl, I heard movement and grabbing my mutt we did a tactical and silent running away.
When getting to the crash site I told one of the rapidly growing cops about the noise, at first I was treated with suspicion until another constable told his colleague he had noticed a series of red lights at knee height walking across the field before the car stopped.
He asked where shouts but couldn't find him, I said I would show him he was worried about safety until I mentioned there were now at least 12 of them. We walked along and about 50 yards away while still on the path Saffy did the same. The policeman then shouted out it was useless trying to hide because there was now a dog on the scene and if he could see her collar you know I'm talking the truth. Saffy then growled again, thank god because her Yorkie bark would of made into a Monty python sketch.
We all came close to having an overdose of brown adrenaline when he shouted because he was only about 3 metre's away. He had seen the flashing collar and was taken in completely.
About 4 officers used torches to guide him and to mess up his night vision but by then I was 30 metres away sitting on a park bench.
My wife remembered her first Christmas and infatuation with Christmas tree gables and one of her first walks. Saffy was so small at the time my wife used a rabbit harness, suddenly the lead went really tight and saffy barked in disgust. It had been snowing and as saffy followed my wife's footsteps avoiding disappearing in the snow, her 4 tiny legs all went through the gaps of a drain. No harm though.
I know this post is like war and peace, but it has made me feel better. She has enough medication into Saturday however all this is doing is making her slightly more comfortable
I have given your post an "informative" because an "excellent" doesn't seem right given Saffy's problems.
I hope you have as good an outcome as is possible

A Like, what's not to like about someones life.
Take care.

Likewise, cherish the remaining precious time. When you have to do the deed, stay with her & be the last thing that she sees, hears & smells as she crosses the bridge; she will think there's nothing awry and she's just dropping off for a snooze.

Then go and get muller-ed.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Likewise, cherish the remaining precious time. When you have to do the deed, stay with her & be the last thing that she sees, hears & smells as she crosses the bridge; she will think there's nothing awry and she's just dropping off for a snooze.

Then go and get muller-ed.

I've been with all my dogs as they passed away, I just hope for everyone on here, that we are still permitted to be with them at the end, during the current restrictions on contact. When I took Charley today, I just had to place her on the floor through an open door and the vet picked her up. :-(

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Just had report from vet (finally!) - she is a bit better but they want to do an ultrasound on her tum and will call again later in the afternoon. Fingers and everything crossed ...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course they do £££££s

You old cynic!

They started to quote me the fees, but I said I wasn't interested, I just wanted her to get better and hopefully find out what was wrong!

wheel

LE
You old cynic!

They started to quote me the fees, but I said I wasn't interested, I just wanted her to get better and hopefully find out what was wrong!
Who me never, vets are in the same bracket as estate agents and solicitors. At least vets occasionally wear masks .

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Who me never, vets are in the same bracket as estate agents and solicitors. At least vets occasionally wear masks .

What about doctors and surgeons and dentists?

The situation would be exactly the same if you had to pay privately!

View attachment 491987
This is Arty, he's a failed Guide Dog, 18 months old, hopefully he'll grow into his ears.
We got one back in September a Lab(3/4) retriever cross. Poor boy had attention deficit disorder, imagine the chaos that would follow with a little old lady being dragged behind him with her white stick. Such a lovely temperament and has more than made up for the loss of our old blown lab.

begbie

Old-Salt
We got one back in September a Lab(3/4) retriever cross. Poor boy had attention deficit disorder, imagine the chaos that would follow with a little old lady being dragged behind him with her white stick. Such a lovely temperament and has more than made up for the loss of our old blown lab.
Ours has a pathological hatred of cats, which they couldn’t cure but other than that he’s great, loves people, good with other dogs, totally different to my last two GSD’s.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I am not going to argue on that one, the bigger vet practices are all about profit very few old school practices left.
Yeah, my vet is now part of a big group now, although a lot of the staff I've known for over 20 years, and still work there so I know they've got mine and Charley's best interest at heart. (Plus I used to work for them so I've seen both sides!)

wheel

LE
Yeah, my vet is now part of a big group now, although a lot of the staff I've known for over 20 years, and still work there so I know they've got mine and Charley's best interest at heart. (Plus I used to work for them so I've seen both sides!)
A friend of mine started from scratch and built up a good practice, then a multi national came along and made him an offer that he could not refuse. He retired just before his 40th birthday.

Latest Threads