ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Tyk

LE
Here is one you might not have seen before, a Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz (Spanish wine cellar rat hunter).
Developed in Spain from the terriers the English wine merchants brought in the 18th century. Now recognised as a breed by the Spanish Kennel Club.
Designed to be able to leap up on huge wine barrels and keep down the rats. A very agile hunter, very good natured. Females are around 9 kg but some of the males can be bigger, usually with more white on the body.
Favourite games are ball (chase the rat), tug (pull the rat apart), ripping up soft toys (eviscerate the rat).
Picked up from a rescue centre in Spain a couple of years ago.

View attachment 490846View attachment 490847
Descended from the same ancestor as the Jack Russel maybe? Bit taller, but has the looks and behaviours.
Fine looking beasty.

Descended from the same ancestor as the Jack Russel maybe? Bit taller, but has the looks and behaviours.
Fine looking beasty.

I would say a bit of a Manchester terrier in the mix too.

wheel

LE
Here is one you might not have seen before, a Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz (Spanish wine cellar rat hunter).
Developed in Spain from the terriers the English wine merchants brought in the 18th century. Now recognised as a breed by the Spanish Kennel Club.
Designed to be able to leap up on huge wine barrels and keep down the rats. A very agile hunter, very good natured. Females are around 9 kg but some of the males can be bigger, usually with more white on the body.
Favourite games are ball (chase the rat), tug (pull the rat apart), ripping up soft toys (eviscerate the rat).
Picked up from a rescue centre in Spain a couple of years ago.

View attachment 490846View attachment 490847
Looks like a Parsons Terrier
Edit to add sometimes called Parsons Russel

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like a Parsons Terrier
Edit to add sometimes called Parsons Russel

Looks very similar to the American Rat Terrier, several of whom regularly run away with all the local Terrier Racing prizes!!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Her Majesty The Dog has just decided that rubbery squid rings are the last word in ambrosian delicacy ...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
My hound has taken a liking to bulls ears, never seen furry shit before even when he has scoffed a rabbit.
Many years ago our Fox Terrier consumed half of a massive toblerone, complete with silver paper, with apparently no ill effects, apart from the fact that we named him "Tinsel Turd".

Many years ago one of our resident pooches was a Patterdale going by the name of Leo.
This was an animal to behold, he would fight anything and if he got the better of it would also try to eat it.
To say he was a minger is an understatement, anything dead and rotting he would roll in it, shite of any description was his idea of deodorant. His favourite pass time was rolling in the filth in the bottom of the pigeon loft then eating the same, perhaps his favourite snack was socks that had been worn inside wellies for a week or more and not washed. He lived to a ripe old age of 14 and is buried at the bottom of the garden.

Just heard strange noises coming from the next room. On inspection, I found my tiny terrier rolling about on the bed and making little squeaky growly noises - she was evidently enjoying herself hugely. As soon as she realised I was watching she stopped abruptly and looked embarrassed.

She never ceases to make me chuckle.

I've never been a big fan of dogs, but was badgered by No.1 son and the Doris to get one after we moved to Aus. Sure enough, a trip to the RSPCA later and we'd got a puppy. Long story short, she's a delight to have around, doesn't bark and I've never heard her growl. Gets on with all, a really soppy dog.....which is a surprise as she's a Cane Corso/Rottweiler/Bullmastiff/American Staffie cross. She was probably bred as a "pig dog".

A year later and we can't imagine being without her! She's now 38Kg, with another six months or so of growing to go.

Article about pets (dogs and cats) and the percentage of food they eat that is classed as pet food (13% for dogs and 32% for cats)

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Charley Girldog just admitted to hospital :-(

B33352CF-4930-45E3-91E3-59B40CD34705.jpeg

new pup settling in nicely now. Have to say he’s ace. Really good call getting another one. Just hope he ends up as obedient as the big one. She’s spot on

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear! Hope it's nothing serious.
She's had upset tum since this morning, but got worse and she looked very miserable, white gums etc. and vet said her temperature was low. I lost Caesar to kidney failure with similar symptoms so I'm not in a happy place right now.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
She's had upset tum since this morning, but got worse and she looked very miserable, white gums etc. and vet said her temperature was low. I lost Caesar to kidney failure with similar symptoms so I'm not in a happy place right now.
Oh my Lord! Sending hugs. No medicinal value, but heartfelt.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest from the vet is that they've eliminated parvo, pancreatic trouble, and lungworm from their enquiries.

She was then shipped off to Wimbledon for in-patient care and I was advised that "no news was good news" and don't expect to hear from them until tomorrow morning. They also said that they didn't suspect kidney failure, going by her blood results, but that her white cell count was very high and her temperature low.

Basically they're fairly sure they know what it isn't, but not what it is! :-(

Ritch

LE
Latest from the vet is that they've eliminated parvo, pancreatic trouble, and lungworm from their enquiries.

She was then shipped off to Wimbledon for in-patient care and I was advised that "no news was good news" and don't expect to hear from them until tomorrow morning. They also said that they didn't suspect kidney failure, going by her blood results, but that her white cell count was very high and her temperature low.

It'll be a long wait tonight but I hope you find out what it is tomorrow and she starts on the mend.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

When they have eliminated all the things it isn't, you will know what it is.

Latest Threads