ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Took our two out for their weekly 'long run' in the woods, being a warm & dry day, it was a 'target rich environment' for squirreling
View attachment 458793

View attachment 458794

Has anyone else experienced problems getting large sacks of dog food? Amazon have 'delayed' this months delivery, the local pet shop has small (2.5kg) bags but nothing bigger
Got my normal order of 15kg of Royal Canin from Fetch today. The website said delivery might be delayed as they share with Ocado. Currently expected Wednesday.

I am sure it will be delicious;-)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Lovely looking dogs btw.

Poppy

LE
Took our two out for their weekly 'long run' in the woods, being a warm & dry day, it was a 'target rich environment' for squirreling
View attachment 458793

View attachment 458794

Has anyone else experienced problems getting large sacks of dog food? Amazon have 'delayed' this months delivery, the local pet shop has small (2.5kg) bags but nothing bigger
have you tried zooplus?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Lovely looking dogs btw.
Thanks - Ruby (the GSD) need a bit of maintenance, I meant to take her Furminator with us - by brushing her in the woods it gives the birds some free nest material and saves me having to clean the garden, shed, fences, flower beds, conservatory and me of her loose fur...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
have you tried zooplus?
Just had a look, they only have one of the foods we need - and that's out of stock, thanks for the pointer though!
Also looked on Fetch, same story!
We could try other foods but both have dietary issues (GSD can't tolerate more than 21% protein & the RR had serious liver problems a couple of years back) so we're loathe to move away from foods they'll eat and doesn't cause any digestive problems. We've tried the raw food thing, didn't go too well and at their age (both nine) i'd rather just keep them on what they and us are happy with.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Just had a look, they only have one of the foods we need - and that's out of stock, thanks for the pointer though!
We could try other foods but both have dietary issues (GSD can't tolerate more than 21% protein & the RR had serious liver problems a couple of years back) so we're loathe to move away from foods they'll eat and doesn't cause any digestive problems. We've tried the raw food thing, didn't go too well and at their age (both nine) i'd rather just keep them on what they and us are happy with.
I have also used Viovet in the past. Give them a whirl.

Poppy

LE
BUGGER they're out of the catfood my two like :( and I've a £5 voucher needs to be used by 31 March :(

Thanks - Ruby (the GSD) need a bit of maintenance, I meant to take her Furminator with us - by brushing her in the woods it gives the birds some free nest material and saves me having to clean the garden, shed, fences, flower beds, conservatory and me of her loose fur...
That is exactly what I used to do when I had my last GSD. Those Furminators are the business, I used to get enough hair off Turbo to stuff a cushion each day

‘Sticks I have fetched’, winter 2019/20 edition, by Millie Woodpikeydog, aged 12 1/2.
F44A547D-1E58-473F-9413-0C8E9480B5AA.jpeg

Thinking outside the box! Not sure the neighbours will be too impressed though.

drone.png

'A man believed to be in quarantine on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus has come up with a novel way of preventing his beloved pet being cooped up. Vakis Demetriou posted a video to his Instagram account last week showing him using a remote controlled drone to walk his dog Oliver while he watches from his “locked down” balcony.'

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That is exactly what I used to do when I had my last GSD. Those Furminators are the business, I used to get enough hair off Turbo to stuff a cushion each day
Took the pups out with me for my 'daily solitary exercise' - remembered the Furminator this time!
Here's the first brushing, it was quite breezy so thats probably only 50%, the rest carried on the wind, probably to all the washing lines within five miles....
IMG_20200324_103336.jpg

A lighter Ruby

IMG_20200324_103340.jpg

Size 9.5 M before you ask....

IMG_20200324_103423.jpg

The last brushing (of four), mostly of her stubborn tufts in her 'saddlebags'

IMG_20200324_105128.jpg

On the way back across a deserted golf course, Penny needed a rest due to intensive Squirreling...

IMG_20200324_111106.jpg

pooky

Old-Salt
This might sound a bit daft but l was thinking about the strange situation that we are all in at the moment and how, within a few days, our normal life has been changed and we are having to adapt without really knowing what is going to happen next....having rehomed many animals over the years it made me think that this must be what dogs (and other animals) go through when they go to their new homes after being rescued. Even if their previous existence was really crappy, it was familiar to them and they knew what to expect. Then they are rescued and, although it’s a much better life, they find themselves in a constantly changing environment that they cannot predict. That’s probably why they are quite tired and well behaved for the first few days as they take everything in and try to learn where everything is, what is expected of them and how to please their new family. Then they settle in and that’s when they can be a little bit pesky and push the boundaries! Perhaps l can use this analogy when advising new adopters on how to relate to the new furry member of their family.