ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

pooky

Old-Salt
That's awful and no, I wouldn't. With a 12 year old dog requiring jaw amputation because no other treatment will work, the owner needs the vet to offer euthanasia as a option but in my experience caring for my whippet with an aggressive soft tissue sarcoma, it's been down to me to ask the vet if we're getting to the end-stage. We've been battling cancer for five years now, and throughout the various treatments (surgery, radiation treatment and now metronomic chemo), Brodie's quality of life has been the priority. So far so good, it's me that's worn out with the worry whether I am doing the right thing for him.

Very much agree with this. When Brodie was having his radiation treatments we would see the same couple of elderly dogs having radiation for brain tumours. These dogs also had arthritis, one had a skin condition too, and I found it hard to watch their owners and the reception staff putting on a show of being cheerful whilst admitting the dogs for treatment. It was rather desperate really. Everyone needs someone who can tell them that enough is enough.
Seeing a 14 year old collie with bone cancer going through a leg amputation followed by a round of chemotherapy made me very cross. Some vets need a good talking to for dangling hope in front of desperate owners.....

I'm glad you and the boys are doing well. :)

As long as Brodie is oblivious to anything wrong, then you're doing the right thing.

My vet the other day commented that my Poppy, a 10.5yr old GSD is a lot fitter and conditioned than a lot of other GSD's at that age. Makes you feel proud, doesn't it?
It does, although it's a little surprising and makes you wonder how many unfit dogs the vets must routinely see to make the comparison.

How's Poppy doing with her lumpy leg?

Ritch

LE
It does, although it's a little surprising and makes you wonder how many unfit dogs the vets must routinely see to make the comparison.

How's Poppy doing with her lumpy leg?
Poppy is doing great... Our last visit was a bit interesting though. We had the consultation with the vet who did the operation and she's super happy with Poppy. No sign of another sarcoma forming.

However get ready to laugh.

I couldn't take Poppy out the back as a procedure was going on so had to take my chances through reception filled with other dogs. Poppy pulled that hard that my back went and I ended up on the floor - trying to hold on to a still snarling 38kg dog and the vet trying to get me up. In the end, staff put Poppy in the back and I endured the humiliation of having to lay there with everyone sat around me and waited for an ambulance.

My old man had to come pick up Poppy.

Seeing a 14 year old collie with bone cancer going through a leg amputation followed by a round of chemotherapy made me very cross. Some vets need a good talking to for dangling hope in front of desperate owners.....
Awful. Just because the vet can doesn't mean they should. Speaking to a friend who is an equine vet and rather old-school, he thinks there's concern that if vets don't offer to try and cure even elderly animals, the owner may go away, google treatment options and come back with a negligence or malpractice claim for killing their pet when it could have been saved.

A friend's daughter is currently at vet school and if I remember next time i see her I'll ask what the students are taught about managing their duty of care to their patients' quality of life in the face of owners' desperate desire to keep their animals alive at all costs.

pooky

Old-Salt
Awful. Just because the vet can doesn't mean they should. Speaking to a friend who is an equine vet and rather old-school, he thinks there's concern that if vets don't offer to try and cure even elderly animals, the owner may go away, google treatment options and come back with a negligence or malpractice claim for killing their pet when it could have been saved.

A friend's daughter is currently at vet school and if I remember next time i see her I'll ask what the students are taught about managing their duty of care to their patients' quality of life in the face of owners' desperate desire to keep their animals alive at all costs.
Spot-on. (My bold)

Poppy is doing great... Our last visit was a bit interesting though. We had the consultation with the vet who did the operation and she's super happy with Poppy. No sign of another sarcoma forming.

However get ready to laugh.

I couldn't take Poppy out the back as a procedure was going on so had to take my chances through reception filled with other dogs. Poppy pulled that hard that my back went and I ended up on the floor - trying to hold on to a still snarling 38kg dog and the vet trying to get me up. In the end, staff put Poppy in the back and I endured the humiliation of having to lay there with everyone sat around me and waited for an ambulance.

My old man had to come pick up Poppy.
Glad to hear that Poppy is doing well and lumpless.

At least you made an impression and won't be forgotten in a hurry! Hope you weren't injured and got of hospital quickly. If it makes you feel better, I know of a bloke who took his rottie to the vet for his boosters, fainted at the sight of the needle, bouncing his head off a chair leg as he fell, and had to stay on the floor until the paramedics arrived because the vet was worried he'd damaged his neck.

Can we go out now, it’s almost stopped raining!
93931426-F217-42CD-B2E6-8C8ADDB2C992.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
My dog enjoying what dogs do at a local beach.
697BDA37-138C-4A36-8184-8F4F694D8478.jpeg

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
My Springer in his natural habitat earlier today:

h1.jpg

Ritch

LE
I took my Poppy to visit my Grandmother today. She has dementia and is easily agitated now. Usually I don't take Poppy when I visit as she can batter my Gran by being too playful. However I took her today to act as a sort of "pat dog" and Poppy didn't let me down.

IMG_20200131_155056.jpg

Our new addition to the family , a male Patterdale pup, just had his welcome home bath. The 3yo Rottie is over the moon at having a kennel mate again, the wee laddie is full of himself, I can foresee he'll be in charge eventually.
sw312020.jpg

still miss the old girl though.

Will get better pic when he settles in

Ritch

LE
Our new addition to the family , a male Patterdale pup, just had his welcome home bath. The 3yo Rottie is over the moon at having a kennel mate again, the wee laddie is full of himself, I can foresee he'll be in charge eventually.
View attachment 447291

still miss the old girl though.

Will get better pic when he settles in
That's a beautiful Rottie too! I have a soft spot for them.

That's a beautiful Rottie too! I have a soft spot for them.
He's a big 'ole softie, the last couple of weeks he has been sitting with the 3 week old goat kids just a hurdle between them.

Ritch

LE
He's a big 'ole softie, the last couple of weeks he has been sitting with the 3 week old goat kids just a hurdle between them.
My soft spot for them started when a big old Rottie followed me home from school. At first I thought he was after me to eat but he was interested in playing with me and the football I was kicking about. Eventually followed me home (no collar) and he sat in the garden eating digestive biscuits with me until the RSPCA came to collect him.

Word got round and when the owners couldn't be traced, my dad's mate adopted him and he travelled the length of the UK in his HGV. Had a life of Riley. They're beautiful dogs.

Edited: He gave it a beautiful Rottie name... Alan. :/

anglo

LE
My soft spot for them started when a big old Rottie followed me home from school. At first I thought he was after me to eat but he was interested in playing with me and the football I was kicking about. Eventually followed me home (no collar) and he sat in the garden eating digestive biscuits with me until the RSPCA came to collect him.

Word got round and when the owners couldn't be traced, my dad's mate adopted him and he travelled the length of the UK in his HGV. Had a life of Riley. They're beautiful dogs.

Edited: He gave it a beautiful Rottie name... Alan. :/
Getting dusty in here :)

Ritch

LE
I believe we love our pets more than people, they're certainly more loyal
I certainly do. Given how I see what humans are capable of, to people and to animals, I often wonder why people in my family are surprised when I love animals so much more.

Latest Threads