ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

pinback2001

Old-Salt
I'm sure you've been given all the advice under the sun but just be very carefull about over exercise and boisterous stuff whill she is still growing. More so with big leggy dogs any injuries or excessive strain on joints and that long back can lead to a lot of problems in later life. I recall years a go a mate had a Dane similar age to yours a big gangly long legged youth, they were out in the fields he was running full bore, turned slipped and the result was disasterous, poor lad never even got back home.
Excellent advice. I was told to give my GSD pup short walks when young and build up gradually until about a year old to avoid joint damage. Like B42T I also had to replace my car to accommodate him, and bought a van so he had plenty of room and it didn't matter how filthy he was

B42T

LE
Excellent advice. I was told to give my GSD pup short walks when young and build up gradually until about a year old to avoid joint damage. Like B42T I also had to replace my car to accommodate him, and bought a van so he had plenty of room and it didn't matter how filthy he was
Yes, exactly what we have been doing. Mostly she is content with bimbling along with me and then throws in one or two bursts on level fields.

Took the hound to the Peak District last week... nearly broke her!
IMG-20190804-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190806-WA0000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blogg

LE
She is a beautiful pedigree dog and why the original owners mistreated her, (they are not cheap) I do not know.
Shes hard work but obedient to an extent and just loves fields, woods etc which we have access to, which is lucky.
I think the problem with dogs like these is they need a lot of attention, and it is hard work, but shes worth it to us as she is totally loyal even in the 3 months we had her.
Even though she dumps everywhere 6 times a day :rolleyes:

People have said they dont need much walking, but try telling her that. Shes killing me, its like being on a selection for SAS :-D.
Depressing numbers of large breeds get rehomed because owners simply don't understand their needs and can't cope.

Friend of ours fosters large breeds and couple of years ago I ran into her whilst she was out with her latest fostering: a magnificent 18 month old Harlequin GD bitch who for some months had been confined to a garden shed.

Immediately playing happily with my dogs and were obviously very happy together.

"You can have her if you want" says she.

So I get home and says to Mrs B.

"I met Hanna just now and...."

"Absolutely not. I know what you are thinking. Saw her the other day with that lovely GD. Two large dogs already and add a bloody huge one? No. Not going to happen. Ever ever ever. Not a chance. End of."

Probably just as well. All the same.....

Cheers guys. I know I'm biased but she is very pretty! Just coming up to 9 months and absolutely loves a tickle. She'll shortly be getting a little brother... we must be mad. This was him at 2 days... i'll keep you posted
IMG-20190731-WA0000.jpg

B42T

LE
Depressing numbers of large breeds get rehomed because owners simply don't understand their needs and can't cope.

Friend of ours fosters large breeds and couple of years ago I ran into her whilst she was out with her latest fostering: a magnificent 18 month old Harlequin GD bitch who for some months had been confined to a garden shed.

Immediately playing happily with my dogs and were obviously very happy together.

"You can have her if you want" says she.

So I get home and says to Mrs B.

"I met Hanna just now and...."

"Absolutely not. I know what you are thinking. Saw her the other day with that lovely GD. Two large dogs already and add a bloody huge one? No. Not going to happen. Ever ever ever. Not a chance. End of."

Probably just as well. All the same.....
errrr do you fancy a well behaved 11month old GD?
I know just the dog ;)

anglo

LE
A sea wall, an idiot and one with the brains
Guess who says "lets go across here"
P1300408.JPG

Then one says,"no chance"
P1300410.JPG

"lets go back"

P1300411.JPG

and they did that's why they are called man's best friend:)

Both german shepherds. Same dad.

ugly

LE
My cockers are 10 years old this year, well the three remaining ones are, found this on my you tube page:
I think they were about 5 weeks old then, their mother is wisely hiding on the sofa!