ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

I'm a fucking nightmare without houndkind to keep me on the straight and narrow.
I live with my back garden opening onto a recreation ground, and then open fields. The garden is wire fencing so we see all the dogs and their owners (although most migrate in the winter). We get to see all the dogs, and chat with the owners. I think for some of the oldies it’s their only contact with others. Who have a chat with their mates, and the gossip goes around.
I have recently raised the idea of taking in rescue Staffies and the Mrs was appalled. I don’t like em either, but it’s a job!

Well said, especially the last bit.
Very very true! I know my old Elizabeth would sense if I was down and come over and put her chin on my knee demanding ear scratches. Got me through a sad time.

I live with my back garden opening onto a recreation ground, and then open fields. The garden is wire fencing so we see all the dogs and their owners (although most migrate in the winter). We get to see all the dogs, and chat with the owners. I think for some of the oldies it’s their only contact with others. Who have a chat with their mates, and the gossip goes around.
I have recently raised the idea of taking in rescue Staffies and the Mrs was appalled. I don’t like em either, but it’s a job!
We have never regretted opening our home to the many rescues we have fostered or adopted. It caused many changes in our priorities but in hindsight they all made us better for them. I hope they will be our epitath as they have been so much more enriching to our lives than anything else I may have accomplished from having worn the uniform for 34 years.

Well . . it made ME smile . . :) .

pinback2001

Old-Salt
My first German Shepherd was a nightmare to feed tablets to. I wrapped them in ham or cheese, but as in the video he managed to spit the tablet back out while swallowing the food. My next GSD however had full faith in me not to poison him. I just tossed him the tablet and he ate it, probably thinking "the boss wouldn't poison me"

Ritch

LE
My first German Shepherd was a nightmare to feed tablets to. I wrapped them in ham or cheese, but as in the video he managed to spit the tablet back out while swallowing the food. My next GSD however had full faith in me not to poison him. I just tossed him the tablet and he ate it, probably thinking "the boss wouldn't poison me"
My German Shepherd has to take a fair few tablets every morning. She's terrible taking them but ever since I disguised them with a blob of Primula cream cheese, she wolfs them down.

Funnily enough, the Yumove tablets are the only ones she eats without cheese. The green-lipped mussel must taste nice!

When my whippet was recently on several prescription tablets a day he too was adept at eating the decoy sausage/cheese/pate/ham and spitting the tablet out.

This meant that the terrier occasionally also got a dose of the medication as there is no ten-second rule in this house when he's around, more like a nano-second if it's lucky enough to actually make it to the floor. I've used the same trick for dosing him as you - chuck it at him and it goes straight down without a thought. Only thing that gets spit back out is celery, which is fairy nuff.

Celery not good for dogs, particularly females apparently.

I find dipping meds in peanut butter and tossing them after doing the same to a small biscuit does the trick. So focused on the one in your hand, the one already airborne doesn't even touch sides.

Celery not good for dogs, particularly females apparently.

I find dipping meds in peanut butter and tossing them after doing the same to a small biscuit does the trick. So focused on the one in your hand, the one already airborne doesn't even touch sides.
Oh I don't chuck celery at him, although I can see how my post construction might make it seem that way. No, he dives in if a piece falls off the chopping board but will always spit it back out to be trodden on in bare feet or socks.

My lot do that with bananas. Anything heading downward gets grabbed but bananas are instantly recycled.

Pills hidden in peanut butter work. Get enough PB on there and they battle to spit it out as it sticks to their teeth. They'll usually just swallow it because it tastes good.

Well it's a year since we lost our gorgeous 16 year-old Cocker-Collie cross Rocsi. OC Domestic saw her being knocked over by a car in the street (thankfully no sense = no feeling) and brought her home. I arrived home to find a shit-covered, shivering hairy thing in the house... And she'd brought a dog home with her! :pissedoff:

I knew I had to put my foot down with a firm hand; "OK, the f***ing thing can stay tonight, but it's got to go tomorrow!"

As it happened, I had the following day off work, so OC Domestic went off to work and came back to find me asleep, covered in hair and Bonio-crumbs, with the dog cuddled up on my chest... "So is it ok for her to stay another night…?" "Harumph, yes, just one day, mind... Absolutely no more than that! No more!"

Fifteen lunacy-filled years later, she broke my bloody heart when I had to take her for The Last Drive... :pale:

Returning home, crying like a baby, I agreed with the missus that yes, we'd have another dog, but let's leave it a year or two and get our house back in some sort of order...

Two days later, the niece rings up and says that she's got nine Jack Russell/Poodle cross pups and she couldn't find a home for the runt... I needed to be firm... No bloody way! We're just not ready - especially not for a puppy and ESPECIALLY not a f***ing rat-dog!

But...

Yes, I have the breaking-strain of Angel Delight... A year later and my life is ruled by the petty whims of a black furry tyrant, who has the supreme intelligence of a poodle, allied to the bloody-minded mischievousness and plutonium-powered energy of a Jack Russell and a full deck of Cute... She now firmly believes that her name is "You Little F***ing Bastard!" and I can't sleep off a night-shift without The Little Bastard coming to remove my fingers... It's f***ing brilliant... :)

Well it's a year since we lost our gorgeous 16 year-old Cocker-Collie cross Rocsi. OC Domestic saw her being knocked over by a car in the street (thankfully no sense = no feeling) and brought her home. I arrived home to find a shit-covered, shivering hairy thing in the house... And she'd brought a dog home with her! :pissedoff:

I knew I had to put my foot down with a firm hand; "OK, the f***ing thing can stay tonight, but it's got to go tomorrow!"

As it happened, I had the following day off work, so OC Domestic went off to work and came back to find me asleep, covered in hair and Bonio-crumbs, with the dog cuddled up on my chest... "So is it ok for her to stay another night…?" "Harumph, yes, just one day, mind... Absolutely no more than that! No more!"

Fifteen lunacy-filled years later, she broke my bloody heart when I had to take her for The Last Drive... :pale:

Returning home, crying like a baby, I agreed with the missus that yes, we'd have another dog, but let's leave it a year or two and get our house back in some sort of order...

Two days later, the niece rings up and says that she's got nine Jack Russell/Poodle cross pups and she couldn't find a home for the runt... I needed to be firm... No bloody way! We're just not ready - especially not for a puppy and ESPECIALLY not a f***ing rat-dog!

But...

Yes, I have the breaking-strain of Angel Delight... A year later and my life is ruled by the petty whims of a black furry tyrant, who has the supreme intelligence of a poodle, allied to the bloody-minded mischievousness and plutonium-powered energy of a Jack Russell and a full deck of Cute... She now firmly believes that her name is "You Little F***ing Bastard!" and I can't sleep off a night-shift without The Little Bastard coming to remove my fingers... It's f***ing brilliant... :)

What a cute little tyrannical mistress you have!

I love the photo of her skipping in the garden with her Big Treasure, very characterful and personality goes a long way. :-D

What a cute little tyrannical mistress you have!

I love the photo of her skipping in the garden with her Big Treasure, very characterful and personality goes a long way. :-D
That was the Memsahib's £60 Tilly-Hat... :thumright:

This morning she woke me up off nights by stacking a bloody-great pile of bras and shoes on my chest...

I am not allowed to bring another dog into the house. last one we had was a rescue dog , a lab cross , the friendliest , most loyal animal a person could wish to have as part of his family,and it broke my heart, (and Doris's stone cold one) when I had to take him for the long walk to the vet 8 years later
common sense tells us we can't have a dog with us when we are away on our jaunts with the motorhome, but it doesn't stop me wanting to take every dog we meet up with, home

BTW , notice I say every dog we meet , and nothing about the owners, I judge a person by their dog, nice dog =nice people, even some of the lapdog / long wheelbase rat types

Problem , as you all know , a dog steals your house , then cruelly steals your heart... I still miss him after 18 years
Motor homes are ideal for hounds

sand_rat

Old-Salt
OK people thoughts?
Next door (they are not bad people, you would be happy to live next to them) have bought a jack terrier/poodle cross - to me its a mongrel - So first question is do the KC recognize these type of breeds - have the breeders create a new breed?
Next it, they have a small colony of 5 x Guinea pigs (that run free in a fenced (12" high) area, how long before the 'Jack' 50% kicks in and we have we have enough fur for a pair of nice hand warmers?
Sorry but Im voting for the 12 month plus area.

Chilling out after running around like daft basțards now its cooled off a bit
20190722_221114_1.jpg

Latest Threads