ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

For those with a Classical bent a thread on naming your dog, paraphrased from the writings of Xenophon

I once knew a beddyxwhippy lurcher called Hebe but the others are maybe a little niche, apart from Hilary as David says.

Personally, I plan on having a brace of whippets at some point called Ptolemy and Heracles, or Heracles and Artemis if one is a bitch.

However, now I've seen the tweet with Shackleton's sled dogs' names... I like the idea of him having a dog called Amundsen, but Bummer? I'm pleased to see he had a Hercules though - great minds think alike!

Shackleton's dogs.png

I once knew a beddyxwhippy lurcher called Hebe but the others are maybe a little niche, apart from Hilary as David says.

Personally, I plan on having a brace of whippets at some point called Ptolemy and Heracles, or Heracles and Artemis if one is a bitch.

However, now I've seen the tweet with Shackleton's sled dogs' names... I like the idea of him having a dog called Amundsen, but Bummer? I'm pleased to see he had a Hercules though - great minds think alike!

View attachment 378340
(Cough . . . )

Didn't they end up starving, and having to eat the dogs?! :( .

Very difficult, naming animals you (might have to) end up eating :( .

(Cough . . . )

Didn't they end up starving, and having to eat the dogs?! :( .

Very difficult, naming animals you (might have to) end up eating :( .
Yep, the dogs were a drain on resources which is why they ended up killing them. How ironic that there is no room for snowflakes in the Antarctic :-\\\\

Three of Frank Hurley's photos of Shackleton's dogs from the Endurance expedition:
Endurance, dogs 1915.jpg

More expedition photos here: Gallery: Frank Hurley's Antarctic images of Shackleton - Australian Geographic

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Going to jump in here with a quick shout:

A friend of mine owns a company called Bark and Ride in Aviemore. It's got kit for pooches and some apparel, mainly aimed at those who take their dogs out when biking but just as good for other uses.

Squared away a 15% for anyone that wants it:

Armedforces15

www.barkandridesports.com

Not much, but hey, it helps a small local business run by one person!

View attachment 378340
I once had an English Bull Terrier named Heracles. Weighed in without any fat at 87 lbs, ate anything, loved whiskey if he could nick some and got pissed a few times. great dog with a sense of fun. He died 1986 and I still miss him.

Ws called him Blue...he was white. :)

I know I don't post in here often. However, had a very stressful day today - had to say goodbye to the older husky - RIP old man...

Sorry to hear that. We take the loss of our faithful mates much harder than the loss of humans.

Strongs to you and hope you get rescued by someone deserving soon.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Her Imperial Highness requests that her bed be moved according to the position of the sun ...

PICT1474.JPG

ETA: Shortly after this pic was taken she managed to jump into the compost bin, which only came to light when my other half tipped a load of old bird nests and shit on top of her and realised there was a little face staring up at him....

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I once had an English Bull Terrier named Heracles. Weighed in without any fat at 87 lbs, ate anything, loved whiskey if he could nick some and got pissed a few times. great dog with a sense of fun. He died 1986 and I still miss him.

Ws called him Blue...he was white. :)
Hi Montz, got any pics of the lad?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I've always had a real soft spot for the English Bull Terrier, lovely natured dogs, he was a big brute!

Same here. Always wanted one since I was a kid!

Despite the fact that Charley Girl nearly succumbed to one, but I put that down to unfortunate timing ... :-(

I've always had a real soft spot for the English Bull Terrier, lovely natured dogs, he was a big brute!
He was 2 lb heavier than his dad at 86 lb, who was the heaviest on show records. I swear that they have a sense of humour too. He didn't believe in going round obstacles, he treated them like the enemy and would batter his way through, even if it was only a few feet extra to walk round it.

Edited to add. I couldn't look at another for years...too upsetting.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
He was 2 lb heavier than his dad at 86 lb, who was the heaviest on show records. I swear that they have a sense of humour too. He didn't believe in going round obstacles, he treated them like the enemy and would batter his way through, even if it was only a few feet extra to walk round it.

Even titchy terriers have a sense of humour, which is why Charley Girl decides at around 2115 hrs when it's freezing and pitch dark, that it's time to fanny around at the bottom of the garden for 15 minutes. I wouldn't mind so much if she could bother her sorry arrse to actually get out of bed during daylight hours ...

Mate had one called Slime. Mad as a box of frogs. He'd get lost in his own yard, doing the bull terrier walk with head down concentrating on his feet. Slime would find himself in a corner or somewhere unfamiliar, look up with a baffled look on his mug, take a bearing, head down and set off again like a clockwork toy until he hit the next obstacle. Barking.

Best description I've heard of the crazy buggers is Chinese Racing Pig. Slime wouldn't allow the vet to clip his nails and things were getting somewhat out of hand. Problem solved when his dad (known affectionately as 'Einstein the Rhino') would take him for a slow stroll round the block on the tar road. Slime didn't understand slow and took off full pelt but EtR, who was a shortarse but built like a brick shithouse, just strolled along admiring the view holding Slime's leash. One circuit of the block and the claws were worn down to normal length.

Mate had one called Slime. Mad as a box of frogs. He'd get lost in his own yard, doing the bull terrier walk with head down concentrating on his feet. Slime would find himself in a corner or somewhere unfamiliar, look up with a baffled look on his mug, take a bearing, head down and set off again like a clockwork toy until he hit the next obstacle. Barking.

Best description I've heard of the crazy buggers is Chinese Racing Pig. Slime wouldn't allow the vet to clip his nails and things were getting somewhat out of hand. Problem solved when his dad (known affectionately as 'Einstein the Rhino') would take him for a slow stroll round the block on the tar road. Slime didn't understand slow and took off full pelt but EtR, who was a shortarse but built like a brick shithouse, just strolled along admiring the view holding Slime's leash. One circuit of the block and the claws were worn down to normal length.

Crazy indeed. I once hurled a lovely smooth stone for him into the sea. He kept 'duck diving' until he found the right one and finally got it, pretty good considering he hadn't seen or touched it before. Funny though to see his arse sticking up when he took the dive. After that, it became a regular feature of his walk, he loved it.

Not my puppy. A friend in Ontario Canada sent me pics of their new puppy, a Portuguese Water Dog.

Shared with the Kennel Club as I think he is very cute. The girl in one picture is my Goddaughter, a high school student. (sweatshirt was her mum's from when her mum was a student at Harvard(and a hockey goalie))

Maverick2.jpg
IMG_1275-2.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg

I've often wondered if my liking for the English Bull terrier stemmed from when I was a toddler. According to my parents they were looking at houses when I was about 2- 2.5 years old and at one of them they had one that decided I needed a minder so he followed me round the place, apparently I went into the back garden then the beastie noticed he'd lost me while he was inspecting something out there and took off after me, realised he couldn't get in the back door without smashing into me so he smashed into the door frame instead, bits of wood all over but an undamaged dog and I wasn't hurt.
Dogs and I have a simple understanding, even ones with a reputation for being nasty are OK with me, but I was brought up with dogs around and shooting from about 10 so maybe exposure to loads of gun dogs at shoots helped train me how to behave round them.
I work away a lot and live alone so I have to get my doggy fix at my eldest sons place and with neighbours.