ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

Can I suggest, that if you can follow the LINK(*) back to the original . . . the subsequent comments are worth the effort ;) . . .

(*) press the facebook " f "

Last edited:
I have recently been accepted to have a Guide Dog. I still have some vision (lost a load as a byproduct of TBI) but found my trial runs being guided by a beautiful GSD absolutely fantastic and I’m over the moon about it. There’s quite a waiting list, so it could be next month or next year that I start training with ‘my’ dog.

Would Arrse dog lovers be interested in hearing how it all goes and how the dogs and system work? If people are interested, I’ll post as the process evolves. Just let me know.

I have recently been accepted to have a Guide Dog. I still have some vision (lost a load as a byproduct of TBI) but found my trial runs being guided by a beautiful GSD absolutely fantastic and I’m over the moon about it. There’s quite a waiting list, so it could be next month or next year that I start training with ‘my’ dog.

Would Arrse dog lovers be interested in hearing how it all goes and how the dogs and system work? If people are interested, I’ll post as the process evolves. Just let me know.
Would most definitely be interested

I know I don't post in here often. However, had a very stressful day today - had to say goodbye to the older husky - RIP old man...

Very sad news indeed. May the memories of good times with a faithful friend quickly replace the sadness of letting him go.

Mrs Moses and myself have been sponsoring guide dog training for a number of years now. We've helped train about 20 now and know how important they are for those that finally get one.
Hope you get yours sooner rather than later.

Mrs Moses and myself have been sponsoring guide dog training for a number of years now. We've helped train about 20 now and know how important they are for those that finally get one.
Hope you get yours sooner rather than later.
Thank you for your generosity. I was gobsmacked what a difference it made to be guided and to not once trip, walk into street furniture or bounce people on phones onto their arses!
The dogs are truly amazing and patently love what they do. My ‘test drive’ model was a stunning German Shepherd who stuck his ears back and just went for it. I’m tall with a long stride, so need a large dog for the harness to be held at the right angle. I have poor balance (post-TBI) and was initially a little concerned that the pull of the dog when guiding would make it impractical, but it actually acted as a focal point for my balance and I never faltered.
So thanks again for your support. An immense amount of effort goes into training each dog (and owner!): from breeding, selecting, puppy parenting and advanced training through to matching and training with the future owner , followed by a lifetime of ongoing support and checks.

Thank you for your generosity. I was gobsmacked what a difference it made to be guided and to not once trip, walk into street furniture or bounce people on phones onto their arses!
The dogs are truly amazing and patently love what they do. My ‘test drive’ model was a stunning German Shepherd who stuck his ears back and just went for it. I’m tall with a long stride, so need a large dog for the harness to be held at the right angle. I have poor balance (post-TBI) and was initially a little concerned that the pull of the dog when guiding would make it impractical, but it actually acted as a focal point for my balance and I never faltered.
So thanks again for your support. An immense amount of effort goes into training each dog (and owner!): from breeding, selecting, puppy parenting and advanced training through to matching and training with the future owner , followed by a lifetime of ongoing support and checks.
Thanks are not needed. It costs little cash wise, and less than little in time.
We get updates on the progress of the dogs, and photos of them growing up. That's all the thanks we need.

@Lady Penelope - So sorry for your loss. That was one very beautiful husky.

@The Bench -
I for one would be delighted to learn how you fair in getting and training with your guide dog. I have always been fascinated at how guide dogs are trained and how they work. I went to a boarding school in Morristown, New Jersey that was near the headquarters of the Seeing Eye Foundation and when in the town would see the trainers walking through the town with dogs in training. The town was good for training as it had every sort of intersection, roundabout etc both with and without traffic lights. The trainers would give the dogs orders and corrections in German to prevent the dogs from getting confused if someone was talking near the dog.
Best of luck with the training process. At least here the person getting the dog trains for about a month with their dog for their first dog.
PS - you indicated that you had some residual vision so I used a large font, I am not shouting!

PPS - Information about the place near my boarding school is here:
The Seeing Eye - Wikipedia

We got his bundle of lunacy 4 months ago. An old photo but as you can see, he's adopted the 'eyes front and say nothing' school of denial pose.
fd.jpg

Last edited: