ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

staff as they'll have a good idea of their inmates' requirements and foibles.[/QUOTE]
I don't think we do, we will know when the new dog picks us. They have a choice of sofa or chair. We have an enormous obnoxious cat, don't tell him indoors but I think we need two dogs at least:)

Attachments

Robbers steal eight French bulldog puppies in 'terrifying' raid Armed robbers steal eight bulldog puppies

Utter twats.
I really couldn't believe that story when I saw it, quite apart from the execution of the crime which was thoroughly dastardly 1 day old pups stand very poor odds of survival away from their mother so they're close to worthless which makes the crime incredibly stupid and even more dastardly.

Robbers steal eight French bulldog puppies in 'terrifying' raid Armed robbers steal eight bulldog puppies

Utter twats.
That is totally horrible!!
Chances are that the thieves will not be prepared to care for the pups, feed them proper milk for dogs. feed them at two hour intervals through the night, wipe backsides to facilitate defecation etc. The care needed is incredible.
A friend and neighbor about 25 years ago had a dachshund that developed a dangerous condition two days after 4 pups were born (hypokalemia??) and lactation was stopped by a hormone shot of some sort and the dog was OK but from then on the pups needed feeding with formula from the vet every two hours. Her girl was a classmate and ice hockey teammate of my son. I would pop by and whenever I walked in the door she would hand me a bottle and say "David, grab a pup". I recall sitting in a cold rink watching our kids play with a tote bag of pups and baby bottles feeding pups as we watched the game. A grueling routine but all pups survived.
I doubt if the bastards who stole the pups will be making the effort (or paying the vet costs) for these puppies. I hope they can find them and get the pups back to mum in time.

Another episode in the Saga of a Lumpy Boy... yesterday was supposed to be surgery day so I took him back to the hospital to drop him off before work. He was much more stressed than at the first visit and we saw a different vet who was concerned that he had an arrhythmic heart condition as it was approaching 180 bpm. They decided to do an ECG before surgery just to see if it would settle down.

I got a phone call at lunchtime to say they couldn't do his tumour surgery and chest xray because of the risk of sudden death due to his heart condition. His bpm had gone up to 200 but they didn't want to give him a sedative because they couldn't monitor what was going on with his heart if he was sedated. Then his oncologist rang to discuss things and he agreed to put a Holter monitor him to get a 24hr ECG reading.

I picked him up at teatime and noticed he was a bit spaced out but was relieved to get him home. He clearly hadn't drunk anything all day as he was very thirsty and then only ate half his dinner. I presumed the spaced-outness was due to dehydration and crashing after too much adrenaline all day.

Overnight he was a bit restless, as if he couldn't get comfortable with the monitor on but by this morning he was knuckling over on his right front foot and then fell off the sofa. So cancel work, dash back to the hospital and by the time we arrived 45 mins later he could no longer stand up.

Hanging about for a couple of hours while the neurologist looked at him, and it looks like he's had a stroke, possibly stress-related, or maybe due to metastasis tumours in the brain. Problem is he now can't have diagnostics involving a GA, so he's staying in for blood-clotting tests, a chest xray to check for tumours (because if no tumours in the chest there's not likely to be any in the brain apparently), and monitoring because the next 48 hours are critical. If he gets through the weekend we can re-evaluate what's next treatment-wise but I think we might have moved into palliative care, keeping him happy and leaving the tumours alone.

I can't quite believe it. Yesterday morning we had a lovely squirrel-chasing walk and he was fine.

Devastated of East Anglia :cry:

Another episode in the Saga of a Lumpy Boy... yesterday was supposed to be surgery day so I took him back to the hospital to drop him off before work. He was much more stressed than at the first visit and we saw a different vet who was concerned that he had an arrhythmic heart condition as it was approaching 180 bpm. They decided to do an ECG before surgery just to see if it would settle down.

I got a phone call at lunchtime to say they couldn't do his tumour surgery and chest xray because of the risk of sudden death due to his heart condition. His bpm had gone up to 200 but they didn't want to give him a sedative because they couldn't monitor what was going on with his heart if he was sedated. Then his oncologist rang to discuss things and he agreed to put a Holter monitor him to get a 24hr ECG reading.

I picked him up at teatime and noticed he was a bit spaced out but was relieved to get him home. He clearly hadn't drunk anything all day as he was very thirsty and then only ate half his dinner. I presumed the spaced-outness was due to dehydration and crashing after too much adrenaline all day.

Overnight he was a bit restless, as if he couldn't get comfortable with the monitor on but by this morning he was knuckling over on his right front foot and then fell off the sofa. So cancel work, dash back to the hospital and by the time we arrived 45 mins later he could no longer stand up.

Hanging about for a couple of hours while the neurologist looked at him, and it looks like he's had a stroke, possibly stress-related, or maybe due to metastasis tumours in the brain. Problem is he now can't have diagnostics involving a GA, so he's staying in for blood-clotting tests, a chest xray to check for tumours (because if no tumours in the chest there's not likely to be any in the brain apparently), and monitoring because the next 48 hours are critical. If he gets through the weekend we can re-evaluate what's next treatment-wise but I think we might have moved into palliative care, keeping him happy and leaving the tumours alone.

I can't quite believe it. Yesterday morning we had a lovely squirrel-chasing walk and he was fine.

Devastated of East Anglia :cry:
How awful for him ( you too ) will keep digits crossed for you both, keep us all updated
WW

They bounce back. Hopefully a temporary setback but I know how it can gnaw at the soul. Hang in there for your Boy.

Bloke heading onto the back field with some sort of Hawky thing. It went spastic seeing Lily and Barney.
Lily glanced at it screeching and flapping about, decided it was of less interest than sniffing the fence and ignored it.
Barney the giant wuss legged it home with his owner running after.
The guy with the hawk was fúcking miserable and stomped off ignoring a group of kids asking questions.
IMG_20181025_163212_2~01.jpg

Bloke heading onto the back field with some sort of Hawky thing. It went spastic seeing Lily and Barney.
Lily glanced at it screeching and flapping about, decided it was of less interest than sniffing the fence and ignored it.
Barney the giant wuss legged it home with his owner running after.
The guy with the hawk was fúcking miserable and stomped off ignoring a group of kids asking questions.
View attachment 358881
So Lilly playing it cool again .

So Lilly playing it cool again .
Mate she is totally unflappable, with the exception of the hoover and our younger cat nothing fazes her, she just checks everything out.
Helicopter landing metres away, watched with interest.
Fairground, lights, noise and movement looked on no drama
Escalators no bother,
Trains, buses, ferries, horse drawn carriage and cable cars all not a problem.
Would love to take her up in a balloon just to see her face.

How awful for him ( you too ) will keep digits crossed for you both, keep us all updated
WW
Thanks. Just heard from the vet and while there's no improvement to his physical condition, the heart ultrasound and chest xray showed no abnormalities, so it looks like it was very much stress-related. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and whilst I did ask that they sedated him early prior to surgery yesterday, I now really really regret not insisting on it.
They bounce back. Hopefully a temporary setback but I know how it can gnaw at the soul. Hang in there for your Boy.
I'm hanging on and Sober October can go f*ck itself! :drunken: