ARRSE Kennel Club - A Dog Owners Thread

IMG_20180803_221055~01.jpg

Watching the police helicopter last night

IMG_20180805_215224~01.jpg
IMG_20180805_220007~01.jpg
IMG_20180805_220009~01.jpg

Playtime

Cautionary tale : PREVICOX

Copy of note sent to our Vet a couple of weeks ago - Saturday 14 JULY 2018.

"With Amber retching/been sick, you prescribed - on 23 April 2018 - a course of Prednicare, and Oxytetracyclines, during the course of which I had to stop administering the PREVICOX.

I cannot remember which new drug lasted (only) a week, but during that time she was OK, and slept a lot.

The second new drug lasted a while longer, during which time the retching/been sick, began to reappear - a little.

When both the new drugs were finished - and, Amber was back on PREVICOX - the retching/been sick, began again with a vengeance.

Whilst I am aware of the horror stories that cover the inter-web, I did a “search” for PREVICOX.

Several sites suggested that the PREVICOX (prescribed to relieve her front leg rheumatism) can cause stomach ulcers - which ( I presume? ), could account for her retching/been sick, as this was described as a symptom.

For the last few weeks, she has been off the PREVICOX again, and on a bland diet of boiled rice. As there is now no major retching/been sick, I believe her stomach is recovering - if ( . . . of course) the problem was with her stomach?

I’ve started to include diced-up cooked lambs liver with the rice, and I give her small portions, frequently during the day/night. A larger “normal” portion of food, would seem to aggravate her stomach, and most of the food/portion would re-appear. This is particularly true when I have tried to re-introduce her dried food/biscuit, which seems to swell-up inside - and aggravate - her stomach.

Just recently I have experimented with her dried food/biscuit, and found that be first soaking the dried food/biscuit with (cold) water, and allowing it rest thirty(?) minutes - to swell-up before she eats it - does not cause her a problem.

Mainly through trial-and-error, I realised that when she does start (light) retching (on an empty stomach!!), it does - counter intuitively - quieten her down when I give her a ladle of food - even - especially, at four O’Clock in the morning.

Whilst it is heart-breaking to see her hobble with the rheumatism of her front leg(s), I am not happy to again administer PREVICOX.

Enclosed will be 28 (of 30) PREVICOX tablets, recently received. If you are happy to, please feel free to use these for other patients - who have not shown the same side-effects as Amber".

Footnote: Amber's DoB is 15 September 2005. Thirteen years old next month.

Last edited:
Cautionary tale : PREVICOX

Copy of note sent to our Vet a couple of weeks ago - Saturday 14 JULY 2018.

"With Amber retching/been sick, you prescribed - on 23 April 2018 - a course of Prednicare, and Oxytetracyclines, during the course of which I had to stop administering the PREVICOX.

I cannot remember which new drug lasted (only) a week, but during that time she was OK, and slept a lot.

The second new drug lasted a while longer, during which time the retching/been sick, began to reappear - a little.

When both the new drugs were finished - and, Amber was back on PREVICOX - the retching/been sick, began again with a vengeance.

Whilst I am aware of the horror stories that cover the inter-web, I did a “search” for PREVICOX.

Several sites suggested that the PREVICOX (prescribed to relieve her front leg rheumatism) can cause stomach ulcers - which ( I presume? ), could account for her retching/been sick, as this was described as a symptom.

For the last few weeks, she has been off the PREVICOX again, and on a bland diet of boiled rice. As there is now no major retching/been sick, I believe her stomach is recovering - if ( . . . of course) the problem was with her stomach?

I’ve started to include diced-up cooked lambs liver with the rice, and I give her small portions, frequently during the day/night. A larger “normal” portion of food, would seem to aggravate her stomach, and most of the food/portion would re-appear. This is particularly true when I have tried to re-introduce her dried food/biscuit, which seems to swell-up inside - and aggravate - her stomach.

Just recently I have experimented with her dried food/biscuit, and found that be first soaking the dried food/biscuit with (cold) water, and allowing it rest thirty(?) minutes - to swell-up before she eats it - does not cause her a problem.

Mainly through trial-and-error, I realised that when she does start (light) retching (on an empty stomach!!), it does - counter intuitively - quieten her down when I give her a ladle of food - even - especially, at four O’Clock in the morning.

Whilst it is heart-breaking to see her hobble with the rheumatism of her front leg(s), I am not happy to again administer PREVICOX.

Enclosed will be 28 (of 30) PREVICOX tablets, recently received. If you are happy to, please feel free to use these for other patients - who have not shown the same side-effects as Amber".

Footnote: Amber's DoB is 15 September 2005. Thirteen years old next month.
Update from a week ago . . . .

Since Amber has been on boiled rice, it has gradually began to include pees, and now carrots. i.e. . . . "ratatouille" !!

Usually with boiled chicken breasts. Occasionally, with lambs liver - for a change. The whole lot is now "liquidised" into something resembling baby-food.

Last Friday the vet also prescribed tablets to (hopefully) stop her retching. The medication might be now taking effect, but I suspect the biggest beneficial change has been the temperature drop it into the 20s, instead of the last 4-6 weeks in the 30s. Amber has been unable to breathe properly, and we have been running three electric fans in the flat 24/7 to provide some form of relief.

As most evenings lately, I/we sit outside (me with mobile phone); our last remaining chicken always comes over for some company; and Amber is sat up paying attention, watching the road, waiting for one of the neighbours' cats to appear that torment her!

Also, last Friday the vet said he thinks Amber only has another 3-6 months. I am distraught . . .

Update from a week ago . . . .

Since Amber has been on boiled rice, it has gradually began to include pees, and now carrots. i.e. . . . "ratatouille" !!

Usually with boiled chicken breasts. Occasionally, with lambs liver - for a change. The whole lot is now "liquidised" into something resembling baby-food.

Last Friday the vet also prescribed tablets to (hopefully) stop her retching. The medication might be now taking effect, but I suspect the biggest beneficial change has been the temperature drop it into the 20s, instead of the last 4-6 weeks in the 30s. Amber has been unable to breathe properly, and we have been running three electric fans in the flat 24/7 to provide some form of relief.

As most evenings lately, I/we sit outside (me with mobile phone); our last remaining chicken always comes over for some company; and Amber is sat up paying attention, watching the road, waiting for one of the neighbours' cats to appear that torment her!

Also, last Friday the vet said he thinks Amber only has another 3-6 months. I am distraught . . .
Awful situation to be in, all you can do is your best for the old girl.

My thoughts with you RCT(V) and of course with Amber. At first I thought it was just stomach problems which sounded a bit similar to one of mine, but now you mention 3-6 months, it is obviously not the same.

It doesn't help, but make the time special (as we all do in these situations), get plenty of photos & videos and make sure she knows you love her.

Thinking of you and yours RCT(V). This is the shitty 'payback' time with a dog, the loss balancing out all the love and good times. However, I'm sure Amber is continuing to enjoy her dotage and none the wiser thanks to you diligently attending to her. I am making a note to remind me that when I reach her stage in life, I'm coming to live with you.

There's another anti inflammatory that might work, not as strong as Previcox. It's called Rimadyl and may help but could also cause the ulcers. I know liver is also a trigger for gout so be aware it might cause problems with arthritis. Vet might be able to help there. Green lipped mussel extract and other supplements may help the joint pain too. I have my guys on GCS MAX (the gold one with the muscle supplement), Arthrimed and Canosan to avoid any potential joint problems later, or at least delay the onset.

The GCS MAX, Arthrimed and Canosan are not pain killers but rather supplements that aid joint mobility so giving your Girl all three shouldn't be a problem. I'm tempted to start taking it myself for my back and it doesn't smell bad at all. GCS is a powder and the other two are tablets. They get GCS morning and evening in their grub and Arthrimed in the morning with a treat, Canosan in the evening wth a treat. They regard the tablets as part of their treat and will come and ask for it if they only get their evening biscuit.

Good luck with Amber. Positive thoughts with you mate, and hope it all works out well for your Girl.

Another vote from here for green lipped mussel supplement. I've also used slippery elm, sometimes sold as 'tree bark powders' to ease stomach issues. It seems effective but of course once you've given it you don't know if things would have improved without it anyway.

IMG_0441.JPG

Mr Milošević (Milo), already a little over two years old and a super little fellow has today left his innocence of childhood behind and become a man... he killed his first rabbit, quietly, quickly and cleanly. Good lad.

Seen similar here for Staffies, Labs, Dachshund and a couple of other breeds in the Range.

The wife thinks I am puddled as I have bought the dog a feather pillow as she didn't like the new memory foam ones.

Seth would not allow the vet to give him his annual vaccination today. Took all my strength to hold him. He even got out of muzzle. A few years back a young vet bent a needle in his neck. He has had issues ever since. Going to try again next Wednesday.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My lab fired out four healthy pups last night, 3 dogs and a bitch.

Well chuffed.

Given the parents these should grow up to be absolute belters. Mum is the best dog I’ve ever known, perfect pet at home and very sharp in the field and quick to learn. Dad is from a champion gun dog trainer.

2 pups already spoken for but we haven’t advertised the other 2 yet. If anyone is seriously interested let me know.

These are going for a bit of a bargain price because mum isn’t KC registered. Looking for £600 each. They’d sell for double that down south if they were registered.

A3D82CCC-933C-48AE-B07B-CAE8B91BCB2C.jpeg