ARRSE Journalism Awards 2007 -

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by BuggerAll, Dec 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Many of us complain about poor journalism and sometimes praise good journalism - How about an ARRSE Journalism Award for 2007 - which would celebrate the good and the bad in defence related journalism over the year. Maybe this is something for BAFF to get involved in.

There are many ways this could be done - set us a new Forum where good and bad stories can be posted and at the end of the year vote best and worst. Keep tallies on good and bad stories appearing over the year for best and worst paper ditto best and worst journo’s and editors. Honourable and dishonourable mentions etc.

Would this help? It might because although the crap journo’s and papers would ignore us the good ones would publish the praise heaped on them and the opprobrium heaped on their rivals:

"Daily Semaphore wins ARRSE newspaper of the year 2007 voted by 10,000 members of ARRSE to be the best defence newspaper whilst the 'MOON' was dubbed the paper that stabs our boys in the back and its defence journo was said to be the biggest tit in the paper..."

Perhaps other wisers heads might have a better idea of how this could be done - ideas please.

2. This is spooky. I was having similar thoughts over the Xmas Holiday myself (too much port perhaps?)
    I thought of the "Kira Cochrane cut and paste" award for the shoddiest piece of journalism and the "Tom Neutron-Bomb award for the most blatant ripping off of an ARRSE post".

Others may have different ideas.

I think as ARRSE is used more and more for source material, we need to give something back to the Fourth Estate.

3. How about this for shoddy.

:roll:

Probably struggled to read the side of the wagon they rocked up in.

4. The BBC for demoting SSgt Denise Rose because they couldn't be arsed to find out the correct abbreviation for her rank:

Source.

There've been numerous other examples of shoddy journalism that made me seethe at the time, including when two "Royal Anglican" soldiers were killed (Private Joseva Lewaicei and Private Adam Morris of The 2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment) but I can't recall which journo got that one so wrong.

5. Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Now for a quick rant as the condolences thread wasn't the place for it, but the serviceman killed in Afghanistan today doesn't even make the front page of the BBC website, though the following are deemed important enough:

The Daily Mail has it on the front page of their online edition, The Telegraph slots it in with other military-related features, under the a main story about "Army betrayed me, says spy charge soldier" though it's given main story space to "Racing world says farewell to Desert Orchid". :roll:

Priorities, eh? :x

6. BuggerAll

I think we're all agread that there is plenty of shoddy journalism about - but there is good stuff too. We need to praise the positive as well as blast the wonkers.

7. Not an avid student of this topic, but Minty McGinty is my nomination for a "proper journalism " award. Perhaps we should have some categories ?

Has she been invited to join BAFF yet??

8. BuggerAll

I thought I would run this idea up the flagpole again to see if anyone salutes it.

It seems to me that there has been no end of dire journalism of late and it deserves to be shafted. There has also been some decent scribbling and that deserves praise.

9. msr

msr LE

10. Agree with all the above but would add Sean Langan to the melting pot.

11. Is this to include a category for TV reporting? There has been some worthwhile stuff coming out of Afghanistan.

12. BuggerAll

I think it should include all journalism/reporting - and I agree about M Yon, outstanding reporter.

13. I noticed in the Daily Mail yesterday a quote from some Sparkylass.. everyone will have to keep their eyes open..

14. If arrse is going to do this,

define a clear list of categories and start threads for each. The post for a nomination should include a link and a brief discription of why it should be included.

Before voting starts the mods or admins should whittle down the list to a manageable number. (I am assuming the list of bad reporting is going to be kinda long)

set a dates for voting to start and finish.

set a date for the awards

the poll(s) should not show the results as they are progressing.

We need to plan for 'the moon' to register lots of users to boost their ratings.

I'm sure there are other things, but i havent had my coffee yet.

Ski.

edit for clarity.