ARRSE Island - Should the Experiment Continue?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Good CO, Oct 14, 2007.

?
  1. Strongly agree - it's a great addition to this fine site.

16.5%
  2. Agree - it's expensive but adds value.

15.3%
  3. No opinion

18.8%
  4. Disagree - not worth the money

32.9%
  5. Strongly disagree - it's utterly shite, you were mad in the first place.

16.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

They've just added VAT to the bills for ARRSE Island, now coming in at £190 per month, which is a lot of money in anyone's books. I'm not going to do anything immediately but would like some feedback as the time has come to give some thought to the future of this.

If you've had a look or want to go now for a peek (link in the header, but you need to download the software), then I would be very grateful for your feedback.

The options are basically:

Continue with fund raising effort
    Stop and sell

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Second life seemed like a good idea at the start but the reality is I just couldn't find the time to login there.

I'm sure others got a lot more out of it but not for me I'm afraid.

4. Would it be an idea to 'float' the Arrse Island shares to members on her who still enjoy using it?

I personally lost interest after a little while. Running around naked with a dildo on my head whilst riding a sheep only kept me amused for a week or so.

I'm guessing there are still a few hard core SL people on here who may be willing to buy you out?

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good idea. It would be a bloody shame to see so much work go to waste so maybe a privatised island would be the way forward.

6. I lost interest in the whole 2nd life thing after a month. Have not been to AI for months and when I did there were was seldom anyone else there.

Little added value IMO.

7. couldnt get into it at all. Been on a few times and it seemed like a great design and idea but in practise, I didnt have the patience for it.

8. All you would need is ten people who are willing to fork out a tenner each a month.

An auction perhaps? Any extra dosh going to a charity?

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

What it needs is an organiser really. We'll keep this therad running and maybe one of the regulars will take that on. 20 people at £10 a month though, or a wealthy benefactor of course.

10. I tried to have a look but couldn't get it to work. Got bored and never tried again.

However, those that I've spoke to said it was like a ghost town anyway. If it was popular and interesting then I might be convinced to try looking again.

11. I said 10 people at a tenner each didnt I? :oops:

Lucky I don't do a job that requires maths. :roll:

12. I thought it was a place were real life fat and ugly birds could run around pretending to be pretty?

Nuke it

13. It should be called NAAFI Island then.

14. It is good when there's a bunch of people to shoot at, slag off, and generally have a laugh with. Unfortunately the reality of RnR Island is that the only thing missing is the Tumbleweed.

It is very rare these days to find anyone (especially ARRSErs) on the Island. It's a shame but the initial burst of excitement has gone the way of most new toys. It's been left abandoned in the bottom of the Toybox. If there was some reason to go there then it would pick up. All it takes is someone with the imagination, time and the skills to put it into practice. I have none of these commodities I'm afraid.

15. I havent been around to do any development on the Island for a couple of months (otherwise engaged getting sand in my meindls). Whatever is decided, and if it does go private, you would probably need to start again. All the building etc is owned by different people (mostly me) and thats difficult to manage if the Island is sold on. I would request that none of the HQ Group go on a deleting spree and trash the gaff - i've spent alot of hours developing stuff on there and would want the opportunity to collect some of it back.

I do agree that 190 quid is alot of money for the place to be empty, although alot of people who were on there at the start are still on SL. People just found other things to do and only visit the Island occasionally. I'll vote for it to stay, but its the CO's trainset at the end of the day.