ARRSE in the Daily Telegraph...again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Apr 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No names this time tho;

What soldiers say

Last Updated: 2:57am BST 28/04/2007

Soldiers have made the following comments on the Army Rumour Service website:
    # The Staffords had a tough enough time on the previous tour, I can't even begin to imagine how bad this one was, but can only guess that when serving soldiers feel strongly enough to voice their anger, then there is a proper drama.
    # My worry is that when we withdraw to Basra Air Station and abandon (sorry, hand over to Iraqi control) Basra Palace, we'll be even less likely to be able to achieve anything in Basra. If I were a local Iraqi policeman, I'd know what way the wind was blowing -we are leaving, and the Iranians are not: no real choice which side to back, then.
    advertisement
    # Unfortunately, we lost the strategic war the moment we set foot on Iraqi soil.
    # Has anybody figured out where the British Army will be in 5 years time? This is fingers in the dyke stuff, a real crisis developing from an illegal war and an occupation planned by idiots. One thing is for sure, there aren't enough soldiers to do two wars.
    # I think that we have lost the initiative - and militarily that can be rather dangerous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/28/nirq128.xml

Linked to this story;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/28/nirq28.xml

2. I wonder if this was referenced with permission?!?

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

At least they chose sensible quotes

5. Good to see that this passes as journalism - finding a quote on a website with little to no ability to verify the source!

6. The journos really are taking the piss now, lazy lazy cnuts.

7. This looks like sloppy, lazy journalism.

8. Don't see why we have to jump on 'em too hard for this one. The quotes are pretty representative of a lot of the views on here - as Cheapseats says, at least they used sensible ones this time - and by not referencing the users he's a) helped ensure anonymity and b) given people a reason to come read the site for themselves.

As for "lazy journalism"; maybe it is but, especially with the recent MOD debacle over story selling, is trying to hunt down attributable quotes from confirmed serving personnel going to get him anywhere? Who's going to agree to speak and who's going to give their real opinion?

The press have a job to do which they may well abuse a lot of the time. We shoudn't jump down their throats when they do it reasonably. That only serves to alienate those who do it well and takes a lot of the impact out of complaints when we've really got something to complain about!

9. Dear Mr Telegraph Hack,

I see that you have lifted some of my words from the ARRSE website to use in your paper/website. I don't recall giving you permission, nor your bothering to attempt to ask for it. It's a very simple process where you send me a PM and ask politely.

I assume that you are drawing a salary for you efforts with this piece. I'd be grateful if you would make a contribution to a service charity in lieu of the effort that I and others made to sustain your income.

Many regards,
    whitecity

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It was printed in Saturdays edition,sandwiched between the 'soldier speaks out' story & Prince Harry going to Iraq story.
    Twas in the pub at the time enjoying a few pints of Magners.

11. If any journos are reading this and can't be arsed, print this:

For sale: Raleigh Chopper Original (1979!!) good condition £200 ono

Proceeds to ABF amongst other good causes

ta

Edited for him below!!

(c) Heywood Jablowme

(feel free to print my name with reference to Blair)

12. Is that the original Chopper or the Hong Kong piece of crap Raleigh are selling now? ;)

Costs £15.00 to make my sources tell me (I used to work for them).

Back to the subject, at least the journo's are listening to the people who've been there got the T-shirt (most of which I'd be arrested for wearing due to the content).

13. Whitecity I suggest we put something similar to this at the bottom of each post

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited 2007

or

© Copyright of Whitecity ARRSE site Limited 2007

that way they cant cut and paste quotes to add to their stories to tell their lies. If quoted by any media scum please send my fee straight to the Army benevolment fund. Any lawyers out there to advise please.

© Copyright of Taz and THE_IRON on ARRSE 2007

14. Cow

Cow LE

Be good to know the legality of this, would love to fcuk those jurno ******* over. At least have the balls to ask or donate.

15. Don't particularly object to having the words lifted. Don't particularly object to them not asking given that I often quote their words and link to their stories here on ARRSE.

What I do object to is that they are making money out of our efforts, thoughts and comments.

What maybe should be done is for hacks to make donations to a handful of deserving service charities, and their contributions be recorded on ARRSE. Then we'd know who was being honest about this and who wasn't. I'm sure it could be done, but don't have a magic formulae to hand.