Arrse in Telegraph piece on walts and reenactors

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mountain-Monkey, Jan 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why no one in the world of battle re-enactment wants to be a 'Walt' or a 'Farb' – Telegraph Blogs

"In the relatively free society in which we live, anyone who can afford it can buy the uniform, equipment and insignia of a special forces soldier and top it off with a reproduction, deactivated or even airsoft (these fire plastic pellets) assault rifle. Elite units simply attract the most attention. If you haven’t got to train for it, pass a test to get into it and yet still be able to pass yourself off as better than everyone else, then it’s going to be popular. According to ARRSE (look it up), this is the highest level of re-enactment walting. Getting yourself taken seriously by other re-enactors is another matter."

Also several references to serving personnel involved in the hobby.

2. Fascinating. No, really.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Really? I thought it was cak and I fail to see how it is relevant to Military History and Militaria which is one of the few bits of ARRSE worth shite. But each to their own I suppose. On you go. Any chance of a cup 'o tea?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Nice subtle bear trap there. Many an unwary homosexualist will be caught admitting to enjoying the abomination that is milk in tea.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Well, it includes re-enactment, which has been previously discussed on this forum with some of the same sentiments, serving and ex-serving, and the walt-term, but the main reason for posting it was the direct reference to Arrse.

Oh, and one of the people mentioned in it is a friend of mine.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Cheers for posting and well spotted. I've re-posted it in the 'press mentions' bit of the Mods' forum for those who may have missed it.

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It has very relevance to this forum.
    As was said in the piece The SK was founded by Brig Peter Young a WW2 Commando and keen historian.
    Loads ex squaddies are members of the SK.
    Their aim, besides having fun, is to educate. If it wasn't for Cromwell and his New Model Army it's doubtful we would have an Army, as we know it today.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

so then to get away with being a walt without being bullied I need to get myself an RLC outfit

9. TheIronDuke

I stand corrected.

Since we are doing history.... I kinda know who Peter Young was and I kinda know about SK, but thanks for the steer. Loads of ex squaddies are members of all sorts. Many of them educate and have fun. Many do not. Some collect toy cars.

As to Cromwell and his New Model Army, I cannot agree. Whilst I admire his reformation of the hierarchical structure of the British Army, the man was a traitor, a Regicide and a barking nutter who believed God guided his hand. A bit like Tony Blair and George W Bush.

When the Monarchy (to whom you swore allegiance) was restored they dug up the Dingbat, put his corpse on trial, found him guilty and cut off his head. And stuck it on a pole. Here it is.

Cromwell. Traitor, child molestor and puff.jpg

So perish all traitors. I do hope this is relevant?

10. One of my oppos in the RM was in the Sealed Knot, the pike brandishing real ale drinkin' pantaloon wearing mentalist.

11. TheIronDuke

Clearly on the winning side? Well done that chap.

12. Well he was a Royal.

13. Thank you, it was something like this I was hoping would come across. Another point I find interesting is how the british military in general, be it current or historically, and ARRSE in particular, influence the rest of society, culture and language.

14. Seems to have sorted his warts out- silver linings and all that.

I thought the article was interesting, although I don't believe anyone seriously called Sealed Knot, Peninsula War or Great War reenactors 'walts'. It really starts with the WWII 'aficionados' who seem to overwhelmingly favour a handful of units on the Allied side plus fallschirmjagers and Waffen SS (you know, the 'good' SS :roll: ) from the Axis powers.

I've got no problem with reenactors per se, keeps them off the streets and it's probably a bit of a laugh. I do find it a bit of a cheek that there are Cold War groups now- as though I'm some kind of bloody museum exhibit.