Arrse in Telegraph piece on walts and reenactors

Why no one in the world of battle re-enactment wants to be a 'Walt' or a 'Farb' – Telegraph Blogs

"In the relatively free society in which we live, anyone who can afford it can buy the uniform, equipment and insignia of a special forces soldier and top it off with a reproduction, deactivated or even airsoft (these fire plastic pellets) assault rifle. Elite units simply attract the most attention. If you haven’t got to train for it, pass a test to get into it and yet still be able to pass yourself off as better than everyone else, then it’s going to be popular. According to ARRSE (look it up), this is the highest level of re-enactment walting. Getting yourself taken seriously by other re-enactors is another matter."

Also several references to serving personnel involved in the hobby.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fascinating. No, really.
Really? I thought it was cak and I fail to see how it is relevant to Military History and Militaria which is one of the few bits of ARRSE worth shite. But each to their own I suppose. On you go. Any chance of a cup 'o tea?

Well, it includes re-enactment, which has been previously discussed on this forum with some of the same sentiments, serving and ex-serving, and the walt-term, but the main reason for posting it was the direct reference to Arrse.

Oh, and one of the people mentioned in it is a friend of mine.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, it includes re-enactment, which has been previously discussed on this forum with some of the same sentiments, serving and ex-serving, and the walt-term, but the main reason for posting it was the direct reference to Arrse.

Oh, and one of the people mentioned in it is a friend of mine.
Cheers for posting and well spotted. I've re-posted it in the 'press mentions' bit of the Mods' forum for those who may have missed it.

oldbaldy

LE
Really? I thought it was cak and I fail to see how it is relevant to Military History and Militaria which is one of the few bits of ARRSE worth shite. But each to their own I suppose. On you go. Any chance of a cup 'o tea?
It has very relevance to this forum.
As was said in the piece The SK was founded by Brig Peter Young a WW2 Commando and keen historian.
Loads ex squaddies are members of the SK.
Their aim, besides having fun, is to educate. If it wasn't for Cromwell and his New Model Army it's doubtful we would have an Army, as we know it today.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
so then to get away with being a walt without being bullied I need to get myself an RLC outfit

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
As was said in the piece The SK was founded by Brig Peter Young a WW2 Commando and keen historian.
Their aim, besides having fun, is to educate. If it wasn't for Cromwell and his New Model Army it's doubtful we would have an Army, as we know it today.
I stand corrected.

Since we are doing history.... I kinda know who Peter Young was and I kinda know about SK, but thanks for the steer. Loads of ex squaddies are members of all sorts. Many of them educate and have fun. Many do not. Some collect toy cars.

As to Cromwell and his New Model Army, I cannot agree. Whilst I admire his reformation of the hierarchical structure of the British Army, the man was a traitor, a Regicide and a barking nutter who believed God guided his hand. A bit like Tony Blair and George W Bush.

When the Monarchy (to whom you swore allegiance) was restored they dug up the Dingbat, put his corpse on trial, found him guilty and cut off his head. And stuck it on a pole. Here it is.

Cromwell. Traitor, child molestor and puff.jpg

So perish all traitors. I do hope this is relevant?

One of my oppos in the RM was in the Sealed Knot, the pike brandishing real ale drinkin' pantaloon wearing mentalist.

Thank you, it was something like this I was hoping would come across. Another point I find interesting is how the british military in general, be it current or historically, and ARRSE in particular, influence the rest of society, culture and language.

When the Monarchy (to whom you swore allegiance) was restored they dug up the Dingbat, put his corpse on trial, found him guilty and cut off his head. And stuck it on a pole. Here it is.

View attachment 107199
Seems to have sorted his warts out- silver linings and all that.

I thought the article was interesting, although I don't believe anyone seriously called Sealed Knot, Peninsula War or Great War reenactors 'walts'. It really starts with the WWII 'aficionados' who seem to overwhelmingly favour a handful of units on the Allied side plus fallschirmjagers and Waffen SS (you know, the 'good' SS :roll: ) from the Axis powers.

I've got no problem with reenactors per se, keeps them off the streets and it's probably a bit of a laugh. I do find it a bit of a cheek that there are Cold War groups now- as though I'm some kind of bloody museum exhibit.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I do find it a bit of a cheek that there are Cold War groups now- as though I'm some kind of bloody museum exhibit.
Hey, not fair. I spent some of my leisure time today dressed in a long black leather coat (collar turned up), black scarf around my lower face, hat pulled down as the sleet lashed in sideways. I tried to blend in and act casual. I made inconsequential chat with strangers, like I knew them. Just another face in the crowd, you know?

Then the Green Man lit up and I crossed the road safely.

As I understand it, I don't think the author claims that it happens to those doing "proper" historical things, as opposed to recent or ongoing events.

But even among, say, Napoleonic re-enactors there's a divide between those that band together in endless meters of mylar "gold" lace and fake bearskin (many of which seems to do their own renditions of French Garde Imperiale, or dismounted Hussars, or Generals/officers without any troops to command) and those who depict ordinary units, ordinary soldiers, and then go on spending the week roughing it and marching all day just to experience what a days marching with the kit is like, and how good or bad it functions.

Hey, not fair. I spent some of my leisure time today dressed in a long black leather coat (collar turned up), black scarf around my lower face, hat pulled down as the sleet lashed in sideways. I tried to blend in and act casual. I made inconsequential chat with strangers, like I knew them. Just another face in the crowd, you know?

Then the Green Man lit up and I crossed the road safely.
Herr Flick was WWII wasn't he? Surely an Allo Allo reenactment group is a mickey-take too far, that ham German must sound great in Geordese though.

View attachment 107199

So perish all traitors. I do hope this is relevant?
Everyday a schoolday.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I attended an Army sponsored Boxing match in the Guildhall in London a few years ago. I had never been inside before and it was fascinating, however the strangest thing I saw there was wreaths on the fence outside dedicated to King Charles 1, it being early February the head doorman told us they were placed yearly on the anniversary of the execution of King Charles. Seemingly it is the society below, if TiD feels so strongly perhaps he should join?

SKCM: SKCM: Events-The Society of King Charles the Martyr