Arrse Has Lost its Teeth

Am I alone in finding that ARRSE has just become part of the establishmet.

It appears that the moderators are stopping ANY discussion on certain current events. I do not understand this. Far to much is being censored and they wonder why people are not posting. Please reply quickly as my last comment on this subject has been removed. I think that proves my point

Johnny_Norfolk said:

It appears that the moderators are stopping ANY discussion on certain current events. I do not understand this. Far to much is being censored and they wonder why people are not posting. Please reply quickly as my last comment on this subject has been removed. I think that proves my point
All it proves is that you haven't read PTPs explanation of why threads relating to some current events are being pulled.

Moderation is dependant on the poster's subject or comments. OPSEC or PERSEC issues are immediately removed along with comments which are not acceptable in normal society. So if you posted anything along those lines of course it is going to be removed.

There are far too many 'no military connection' personnel on the site.

No wonder threads are pulled as the civilian element can't handle what happens in the real world and ultimately complain to the MODS about the harshness of some comments.

Easy solution, fcuk off back to your organic wine and tofu.

no1cares said:
Most peoples posts are not about current affairs though.
Yes they are, just not about one particular current event that even my mother (not the most geopolitically aware person on the planet) understands is somewhat sensitive. ARRSE, rightly or wrongly, is perceived as the official unofficial voice of the Army and if you can't grasp why it's better for us not to discuss the situation then you're lacking grey matter...

FluffyBunny said:
Johnny_Norfolk said:

All it proves is that you haven't read PTPs explanation of why threads relating to some current events are being pulled.
Read or understood - i posed the same question and (probably because i am dense) i do not understand the issue. i cannot see that OPSEC or PERSEC have been compromised. I would appreciate someone helping me understand - although i will PM PTP later today

Im not being offensive - just slow on the uptake

Got to agree with the MODs here guys. Fact is that those serving do understand what is and isn't "touchy" and tend to either ignore it or comment around the topic. There are far too many Walts chipping in with crap who really add very little (although equally they are often amusing). We do need to retain our cutting edge and so perhaps what we need to do is simply ensure that whatever is added or opened up is something that can be both informative, be openly discussed, or at least amusing.
I'll get me coat!

The main problem with something being good is that it soon becomes popular, and when it becomes popular it attracts attention.

ARRSE started as a fairly underground unofficial site, its now in the public eye more often than any official site, as such the site becomes more the establishment by default, unless of course we all want to paint the worst possible picture of ourselves as a profession and get no support from the UK population.

The only way to be Army, with our associated sense of humour is to be underground, which by defintion and nature is a time limited thing.

Well, ARRSE has me less intriguided then it did a year ago.
I find more and more it's turning into a slagging fest and people don't define their humor any longer - it's all in one pot.

The fact that some threads get pulled is a fact of life on any website - after all liability claims are second only to personal accident claims - start the thread again if you feel the urge to communicate something - it might 'slip' through.

Sadly I see a few of the longer term posters are retreating more and more.... :(

Baring any revelations of information that may compromise PERSEC, such as identities or knowledge specificly gained from those with some connection with the present issue, is it really right that on this site it is hardly discussed, when it is a subject the population, not to mention members of the Armed Forces is so concerned about? Because it is a sensitive and emotive issue, it should be discussed openly in the culture we strive to protect.

Those who post and contravine policy on their own heads be it, but for others wishing to discuss pure conjecture or express opinions of displeasure at the actions HM's Government or other parties involved to be so censured I find disappointing of ARRSE.

I don't mean to be contravertial, or even glib if I asked whether those in charge could please direct me to a similar civilian forum where it may be discussed at leisure?

If we are to fear journalists getting the wrong end of the stick or conjuring stories from posts on this site, it might as well be binned here and now.

(Although please don't, I like it here... :) )

onfire said:
FluffyBunny said:
Johnny_Norfolk said:

Read or understood - i posed the same question and (probably because i am dense) i do not understand the issue. i cannot see that OPSEC or PERSEC have been compromised. I would appreciate someone helping me understand - although i will PM PTP later today

Im not being offensive - just slow on the uptake
It seems very straightforward to me:

- This is a publicly accessible website
- It has often been used in the past by journalists and others surfing for quotes
- There is no way of checking the bona fides or motivation of any of the posters to the various open Arrse forums
- In order to minimise the risk of misquoting and consequent disadvantage to real people on the outside, it's best not to provide any quote fodder at all on matters of current sensitivity or matters which are sub judice.

PTP is on the ball, here, as always and I support and endorse his line.

Geordie_Blerk said:
There are far too many 'no military connection' personnel on the site.

No wonder threads are pulled as the civilian element can't handle what happens in the real world and ultimately complain to the MODS about the harshness of some comments.

Easy solution, fcuk off back to your organic wine and tofu.
Got to agree with you there Geordie. I've lost some of my posts in the year I've been on ARRSE but you shrug your shoulders and just get on with it. I'm a Mod on another site so I do know how difficult in can be to balance the act.

ARRSE hasn't lost its teeth, it's just the dentists are too young and inexperienced.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Moderation is carried out by individuals in their own time; evenings, coffee breaks etc.

We each have our opinions and views as well as operating under a set of agreed rules.

Much of the moderators work is to protect the site members, that is us, and the site in order to prevent it being wiped out by pointless litigation.

We have to follow the rules of libel as well as opsec, persec and basic common sense.

We get it wrong, in hindsight I get it wrong quite often but the decision is taken at the time, in light of the available evidence with the best of intentions.

I do this job to help ARRSE and you lot, I get nothing for my efforts, no t-shirt, no pay and little thanks but that is not why I do it.

There you have the facts.

Oh and as for the threads; the last thing we want is to endanger serving personel by allowing some chopper with a personality defect to post drivel on here that is read out of contect by whoever has an AK47 and the chance tobear a grudge.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I am afraid that, even in the world of the internet, careless talk costs - not necessarily lives, but it can certainly lead to unwarranted consequences.

Take this quote from Hansard on Wednesday:

"Lord Bridges: My Lords, I, too, am grateful for the detailed repetition of the Statement, which was most valuable and interesting. Perhaps the Minister will forgive me if I mention one matter that causes me some disquiet. We have known for a long time that Iran has a different attitude to the territorial waters in question. There have been numerous disputes over a long period. I assume that that was as well known in the Ministry of Defence as it was in the Foreign Office. It seems to me that it would have been prudent for the naval officers concerned to have been reminded of the difficulties we have experienced with Iran in the past on these questions and, in particular, of the danger that they might be repeated at the present time, given the public disagreement between ourselves and Iran on a number of international matters. Can the Government look into that and see whether we missed an opportunity to give a friendly note of warning to the naval officers in charge that it would be undesirable to engage in any risky activities at this tense time?"

Can you guess how this was reported by certain 'international media'? "Senior British Lord Says Navy Should Not Have Been In Iranian Waters!"

By such apparently well-meaning comments can crises be extended. Please take note. PTP is absolutely correct to attempt in all csases to err on the side of caution.

Latest Threads