ARRSE hacked or new adverts?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by jimmys_best_mate, Nov 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've started noticing some new ads appearing on ARRSE this evening. A random word in a post will look like a link to another site (the blue underlined writing) which if you hover your mouse over it brings up one of those spam 'click here to win an iphone 5' type adverts. The pop up says it's from someone called 'Coupon Drop Down'.

As an example, the word 'start' in Graculus' post here had it when I opened that topic.

Is it a new set of approved ads or has ARRSE been hacked?

2. Sorry, ignore this - it seems to be some kind of virus that my computer's picked up from somewhere and not a problem with ARRSE.

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We're you logged in when you saw it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. I was but the problem seems to have been resolved now - I deleted a Chrome extension which had been added to my browser and the links disappeared.

I noticed I was getting them on other sites too so it obviously wasn't a problem here.

Thanks anyway!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

hi Jimmys , i dont have any chrome extentions on my browser ( i think) but i have had the same problem as you for a month this is my second restore point that i am now working on .
    could you tell me how to find and delelted the wee nasty bug please? I have run avg root kit , malaware etc but found nothing .
    ta muchley .

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Are these words highlighted in green with a little arrow up to the right? And if you do a mouse-over it links you to a product /advert website?

Genuine question. This is happening on a site I help out with and we are a tad puzzled by it.

7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

mr duke , your word QUESTION is blue and if i hover over it i get an ad for an ipad compatiton. I just deleted google chrome totally but obviously it hasn't worked .

the ad says continue to click by coupondropdpwn.

I am going to do a restart and see if that helps any .
    No It dint .

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nah. The blue ones are a version of AdWords I think. Like if I do Manchester

Mouseover, click and it takes you to LateRooms.com

The green ones with the arrow are different. They are normal words. But they do the same thing.

Is anybody else getting this on ARRSE? Next time it happens I'll do a Cap and post it.

9. HHH

HHH LE

No I'm not getting green links just the normal adwords.

10. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Its not just on Arrse though I get it on bbc iplayer and odd websites i go to .

11. I just get the blue ones for word like Manchester, London, Liverpool etc..

12. Oh and ipod, iphone samsung

13. "ARRSE is financed by advertising.

To contribute to the site, without seeing advertising please consider using our Ad Free subscription, available to members here.
    In addition to supporting the site this will remove all advertising (excluding wiki and simple search) and removes file downloads and scripts connected with advertising."

I would suggest the forum is running a script, as above. I also get the little blue words for places & products.

14. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We do use a couple of different types of in text adverts which will highlight words. Some of these will display a box if you hover over them whilst others are clickable and go to sites like laterooms. This sort of advertising is becoming extremely common across the net so you will see it on loads of different sites

However the majority of our in text ads are only visible to people who aren't logged in as a user I.e casual visitors.

All the ads all provided by reputable companies and none of them should install anything on your computer. If you're getting browser extensions appearing then I'd be extremely surprised if it was from us. Obviously if that isn't the case we'd be extremely interested to hear and will terminate the offending item with extreme prejudice.

Hope that makes sense?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2