ARRSE hacked or new adverts?

I've started noticing some new ads appearing on ARRSE this evening. A random word in a post will look like a link to another site (the blue underlined writing) which if you hover your mouse over it brings up one of those spam 'click here to win an iphone 5' type adverts. The pop up says it's from someone called 'Coupon Drop Down'.

As an example, the word 'start' in Graculus' post here had it when I opened that topic.

Is it a new set of approved ads or has ARRSE been hacked?

We're you logged in when you saw it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
hi Jimmys , i dont have any chrome extentions on my browser ( i think) but i have had the same problem as you for a month this is my second restore point that i am now working on .
could you tell me how to find and delelted the wee nasty bug please? I have run avg root kit , malaware etc but found nothing .
ta muchley .

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are these words highlighted in green with a little arrow up to the right? And if you do a mouse-over it links you to a product /advert website?

Genuine question. This is happening on a site I help out with and we are a tad puzzled by it.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
mr duke , your word QUESTION is blue and if i hover over it i get an ad for an ipad compatiton. I just deleted google chrome totally but obviously it hasn't worked .

the ad says continue to click by coupondropdpwn.

I am going to do a restart and see if that helps any .
No It dint .

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
mr duke , your word QUESTION is blue and if i hover over it i get an ad for an ipad compatiton. I just deleted google chrome totally but obviously it hasn't worked .

the ad says continue to click by coupondropdpwn.

I am going to do a restart and see if that helps any .
No It dint .
Nah. The blue ones are a version of AdWords I think. Like if I do Manchester

Mouseover, click and it takes you to LateRooms.com

The green ones with the arrow are different. They are normal words. But they do the same thing.

Is anybody else getting this on ARRSE? Next time it happens I'll do a Cap and post it.

Nah. The blue ones are a version of AdWords I think. Like if I do Manchester

Mouseover, click and it takes you to LateRooms.com

The green ones with the arrow are different. They are normal words. But they do the same thing.

Is anybody else getting this on ARRSE? Next time it happens I'll do a Cap and post it.
No I'm not getting green links just the normal adwords.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Its not just on Arrse though I get it on bbc iplayer and odd websites i go to .

I just get the blue ones for word like Manchester, London, Liverpool etc..

"ARRSE is financed by advertising.

To contribute to the site, without seeing advertising please consider using our Ad Free subscription, available to members here.
In addition to supporting the site this will remove all advertising (excluding wiki and simple search) and removes file downloads and scripts connected with advertising."

I would suggest the forum is running a script, as above. I also get the little blue words for places & products.

We do use a couple of different types of in text adverts which will highlight words. Some of these will display a box if you hover over them whilst others are clickable and go to sites like laterooms. This sort of advertising is becoming extremely common across the net so you will see it on loads of different sites

However the majority of our in text ads are only visible to people who aren't logged in as a user I.e casual visitors.

All the ads all provided by reputable companies and none of them should install anything on your computer. If you're getting browser extensions appearing then I'd be extremely surprised if it was from us. Obviously if that isn't the case we'd be extremely interested to hear and will terminate the offending item with extreme prejudice.

Hope that makes sense?

hi Jimmys , i dont have any chrome extentions on my browser ( i think) but i have had the same problem as you for a month this is my second restore point that i am now working on .
could you tell me how to find and delelted the wee nasty bug please? I have run avg root kit , malaware etc but found nothing .
ta muchley .
Have a look at the extensions on the browser you're using mate - the one I found that seems to have been causing the problem was some kind of quick downlowder programme which I think installed when I forgot to check a 'don't install all this shit' box. If needs be get rid of them all, restart your browser and see if it fixes the problem. You can always install the ones you want again after.

I don't think the problem was from ARRSE BCO, it was just the only site I noticed the problem on at first. It was only when I saw the same thing on Linkedin that I realised that it was obviously a problem at my end and not with ARRSE.

We do use a couple of different types of in text adverts which will highlight words. Some of these will display a box if you hover over them whilst others are clickable and go to sites like laterooms. This sort of advertising is becoming extremely common across the net so you will see it on loads of different sites

However the majority of our in text ads are only visible to people who aren't logged in as a user I.e casual visitors.

All the ads all provided by reputable companies and none of them should install anything on your computer. If you're getting browser extensions appearing then I'd be extremely surprised if it was from us. Obviously if that isn't the case we'd be extremely interested to hear and will terminate the offending item with extreme prejudice.

Hope that makes sense?

I think I understand what the OP is on about. The above post had two examples of links to advertsing.

The word computer is double underlined in green with a box to the right of is plus arrow. It links, for me, to an advert for something being advertsied by Game.

The Nexus 7 is blue and double underlined and link to 3 related products for sale on Amazon.

It's a form of linked advertising which can be found on many sites.

There's probably a browsers setting to switch this sort of stuff off but I just ignore the lot.

Edit: Interestingly enough after reply using the Bad CO's post the link via the word computer had disappeared.

Long time lurker, started seeing the green words a couple of weeks ago. Same as Mikal, computer in Bad CO's post was highlighted - it said AdChoices at the top of the pop up box. Disappeared now I've finally plucked up courage to register! I use IE.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
tried all those items which were applicable , to kill coupondropdown today i start up pc and still have the blue lines and adverts joined by their ******* green friends !! agggggghhh.