ARRSE EMail Addresses

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Aug 3, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, I will auction my body parts on ebay if necessary

31.7%
  2. Mmm... I will think about it. Not sure.

10.6%
  3. No, but would if it were cheaper.

11.5%
  4. No, but would if it the service had full smtp send functions.

13.5%
  5. No, not interested, but do like completing poll questions. Thanks for the box.

32.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

BCO and I are considering hosting arrse.co.uk email addresses. Because of server loading / reliability and security we would need a separate email server to do this (ie another new computer and hosting). I would therefore like to get a feel for demand for this to see if we can cover the outlay.

For the moment at least assume that the email service would be receive only: we would forward your email to an existing email account that you have. You would still need to send via this existing account, but would just set the outgoing address that appears on your mails, and the reply-to address, to the arrse.co.uk one.

Picking a round start figure from the air of £10 per year, please cast your votes. 'Yes' only if you're sure please.

-------------------------

Boring comments:

The ease of setting up a yahoo account for this and the quality of their software means that it is not worth us running our own webmail service (like yahoo or google mail) - it would never be as good. We may set up an smtp server for outgoing mail in the future anyway.

2. Boss,

That's a hoofing idea. I could send loads of abusive emails rather than pm abusive messages. Count me in!

3. I'll have to have a think, but it sounds like a good idea.

4. Absolutely - the 'must-have' accessory of the year for the discerning staff officer... :)

5. Fantastic idea. Definite Yes!

6. Boss, count me in for this little gem :D

fastmedic

7. Two thumbbs way up from me.

8. And an aye from me :D

9. I'll have one :D :D

FW

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorry folks - not enough demand.

11. Yep one for me please

12. Me please Dad x

(Yes my phone is still broken, but the badger is paying for it)

13. Yes ..... and one for me mom for christmas...

14. A good idea but £10 is a bit steep.
    With 18,000 members that is an awful lot of cash even if it is taken up by a small percentage.

Are you buying one of these?

Quack

15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Looking at the poll so far in fact, we'd be lucky to hit 20, so 10 pounds each would be too little to make it viable. We'll pay about 1200 pounds in a year to rent an email server at a very rough estimate. So far you can see that we're quite a bit short!

Frankly I don't think it's a goer.