ARRSE Communities

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Good CO, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I am starting a new project (sounds a bit grand I admit) called "ARRSE Community Pages". This will be a part of ARRSE where any group can start and run their own community web page(s) which will then be linked to a forum on the main site and promoted on the main site.

This would be ideal for sports clubs (results, photos etc), units (recruiting info etc), social / reunion groups (3RTR spring to mind!), gaming 'clans' - anything. All it needs is one or more enthusiastic webmasters from the group.

The big benefit to you over something like MSN groups is that we'll promote it for you for nothing on the main site, can give you a forum if you wish, and can get you way up the search results - Google loves an ARRSE url.

If you're interested in starting your own page on this write to me please at admin@arrse.co.uk (NOT the site PMs!). A little bit of html knowledge would be useful, but you can actually make a good page quickly without that and with no more than a little bit of IT ability.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'll post a screenshot and link once we get up and running. The software is installed and ready but a blank canvas at the moment.

3. "Trolls" or "SCHs" might be a laugh. :D

Edited to add: Please can someone male, please, post after me, or shall I delete my post? I am aware that birds posting on threads are the "kiss of death" ....... I don't want to sabotage GoodCO's thread.

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

So would the people interested have to provide their own hosting, URL etc and it would be linked to from the community page here (like a links page) or is it something that would be hosted by Arrse (sort of like Live Space on MSN ) with a set quota of space that could be used?

Sorry, probably very clear from your post and just me being dim.

5. Oh alright, if you insist. :wink:

Check your emails Good CO!

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It would be hosted on ARRSE with an arrse URL and run using a CMS - content management system - to allow the creation and editing of pages without any uploading or techno wizardy.

In its basic form this means that a static information page can be made and updated as required, but there is also the ability to add forums, guestbooks, calendars and so on, although I haven't got that far with the software yet.