Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by EX_STAB, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just found a reference to Yes - it exists, more to the point I appear as "anonymous".

It appears to have the same threads.

What's going on?

Why don't both addresses direct to the same site? redirects to but there's also that doesn't.

Is this for Troll baiters so they can watch what's going on behind the cloak?

Confused? You will be!
  2. Now where did I leave my tin foil hat?
  3. It's common practice to buy up similair domain names for the sake of your reputation.
    Imagine if Microsoft didn't buy up all the different microsoft. variations?
    You could go ahead and make a similair sounding site pretending to be MS and trash their rep, make fake news articles, offer trojans for downloading etc...Mayhem.
  4. Yes but they would all redirect to the same place - these don't...
    Merula are the host and DNS providers for the domain ...

It may be entirely fine.

~Edited to add - and you shouldn't share cookies across the domains so your logon on one should be independent of the other ... Not that, unlike bovvy, I have multiple IDs here :D
  6. There is also and, probably, loads of others. It is possible to be logged in under more than one user name simultaneously.
  7. It is the same site, E_S. Any URL that you visit (such as is resolved to an IP address by DNS servers - big, fast, computers that hold lists of site names and where they can be found as an IP address such as

This is partly because people are ok at remembering site addresses but not too good at remembering IP addresses. It also allows you to point more than one URL at the same site. So, you can have and both with the same IP address and they'll both send you to exactly the same place.

The site software sets up a cookie when you log in and the name of the cookie depends on what url your browser was looking for, not where it ends up. So, if you normally log in through and have the "remember me" option ticked you'll get a cookie for Each time you return to the site software will look for that cookie and, if it finds it, will log you back in.

If you now go to the same site software will see what was entered in your browser and look for a cookie for on your machine. It won't find one, so it won't log you in.

edited to add:

TBH, johnny, I can't imagine anyone making Microsoft's reputation worse by doing this - practically anything a fake site did could only improve it :p
  8. Err, right. OK.

Thanks for the Anti Trolling gear anyway Spunky! ;)
  9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Don't need different URLs for that; just a case of opening several tabs in your browser.
  10. In days of Arrse old Aunty Stella and I in a drunken 'We'll take over the world' moment bought and registered and

We then linked the page, quite childishly to a page about blondebint, and many giggles were had.

After a few weeks we decided that global domination didn't start with fcuking over Arrse so donated the URLs to the COs in return for monkey sex in the back of a Range Rover.
  11. I knew there had to be a sensible explanation :? Is the blondebint page archived for posterity?
  12. used to have a pig board on it as well.

I only know that because it had photos of me on it.
  13. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

There wasn't the bandwidth to list every bloke who's dumped his load between your leathery fadge flaps. We tok it down rather than break the internet.