ARRSE Challenge Coin

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Gundulph, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Yes I could do with a few Free Beers on the next Piss-Up

2. No Thanks - I would probably lose it out on the Piss anyway!

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

UK Challenge Coins-Welcome Page

Have you armed yourself with the Popular ARRSE Challenge Coin yet?! make sure you get your Coin before they run out, we have been surprised at their popularity, even Famous people have been photographed with their Coins, obviously making sure that they don't get ARRSE'd by another ARRSE Challenge Coin recipient and end up buying in a few rounds of Beer! 8)

2. Sounds like an ok idea, just a pity spudhead can't go on them :(

Maybe in a couple of years we can flog Spudhead commemorative plates :D
  3. like it
    can we have the sovereign ring setting too?

chavs, for the dealing with of
  4. Sold!! can you issue them in threes for spoof

And in gold with a silk map for when geographical challenged, spunked out of cash and in an unusual town
  5. Put me down for a couple. Numbers 248 for me and 201 for the OH, please
  6. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Another great idea to 'Help Them Out', Gundulph. :thumleft:

Really like it, so, let me know what I can do to help with it.
  7. What sort of cost are you thinking for them Gundulph?
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What size is the coin going to be? With all that you intend putting on it it looks like it will be medallion size rather than coin size.

Why not just Mr Mushroom and ARmy Rumour SErvice on one side and the obverse "Pay up sucker" ARRSE. ?
  9. Just a silly idea, but how about having it about the same size as a £1 coin.

Could double up for use putting in supermarket trolleys, might make it popular with the pads wives then :D
  10. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

I always knew that ARRSE is a place full of idiots and bullies .... and reliable people with wonderful ideas and ideals. :thumleft:
  11. Gimme gimme gimme. :dance: :dance: :dance:

A great way of generating more cash. :)
  12. And sometimes they're the same person :D
  13. The Coin is a standard sized 40mm Challenge Coin, they fit nicely in that tiny inner pocket at the top of the right hand front pocket in a pair of Levis, putting it there usually prevents you from mistakenly handing it over to some bar person thinking it to be a large coin near the end of the night, I've done that!

Here is the design, it will be in Bronze, as you can see the reverse side has scope for something added at the top, any thoughts as to what we can add there (whoever comes up with a decent solution will get one of the first coins free)? the http::// of the URL at the bottom will go and just leave

Original Post with reference to the History etc:

We want to put this to the ARRSE Members before going ahead with it, our idea is to have something ongoing that will help Holidays For Heroes this time, many will know the History & concept of the military "Challenge Coin" (history pasted below), I worked for several years in Bosnia with a Vietnam Vet with 3 tours under his belt and a SEAL Team member, he told me the Challenge Coin has a history dating back to WWI but it really took off in Vietnam when guys were on their R&R in the likes of Bangkok and Walts were in abundance, everyone was in 'Special Forces'! so certain Units designed and had produced their own Unit coins complete with a coin number engraved on a small Scroll so when a member of the Unit was confronted by a Walt in a bar in Bangkok claiming he was in the same Special Forces Unit he would be confronted by a "Coin Challenge" and the Walt would be instantly outed...

We have made a design for an ARRSE Challenge Coin but want to put it to the ARRSE Members first to see if there is enough interest in such a coin to be used in any future Piss-Ups, a few details below (Design to follow shortly), the difference with the ARRSE Coin over any other coin is it will have the Rules on the reverse side together with the Coin Number.

The Coin would be carried in all future ARRSE Piss-Ups and any other Piss-Up/Re-Union where Members know each other and know if others have a coin also so they can be “Challenged”, the idea is to Auction the first 10 Coins, every coin will be numbered so the first 10 coins will be 001 – 010 and each will be auctioned separately with all proceedings going to YesItsMe & Grownup_Rafbrat 's Holiday for Heroes and all coins sold afterwards a Pound will go direct to Holidays for Heroes from the Sale of EVERY Coin.

The front will have ARmy Rumour ServicE along the top of the coin, the ARRSE Mushroom figure in the middle and simply 'ARRSE' below the figure.

The Rules will be on the Reverse side along with a small scroll with the coin number engraved on it as well as underneath the Rules along the bottom edge of the coin.

The History of the Challenge Coin

During World War I, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons in Europe. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze and presented them to his unit. One young pilot placed the medallion in a small leather pouch that he wore about his neck.
    Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilot's aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol.

In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.

He succeeded in avoiding German patrols by donning civilian attire and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, saboteurs had plagued the French in the sector. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. He had no identification to prove his allegiance, but he did have his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners and one of his French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion. They delayed his execution long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him they gave him a bottle of wine.

Back at his squadron, it became tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through challenge in the following manner - a challenger would ask to see the medallion. If the challenged could not produce a medallion, they were required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged them. If the challenged member produced a medallion, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued on throughout the war and for many years after the war while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

Update: The ARRSE "Challenge Coin" can now be Purchased at the following Website: UK Challenge Coins
  14. how about something like 'arrsing about to support holidays 4 heros' and ps put me down for one
  15. I'll have one.