ArRSe Can't Protect You...

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by guzzijon, Jan 29, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A timely reminder that even as anonymous usernames, gobbing off at each other and the world in general in the vastness of cyberspace- we are all responsible for our own posts.
    There is a report in today's Sunday Times of 'leading cosmetic surgeon' Dr Jesper Sorensen taking action against two Mumsnet* posters who criticised him in a since-deleted thread. The High Court has ordered Mumsnet to comply with his demands to give up the identity of the two posters- he's offered to cover any costs incurred by the website in identifying them. Mumsnet must not only reveal their real identities but also copies of all relevant PMs between the usernames concerned and any other users that it, 'reasonably believes refer to Sorensen or his surgery.'

Sorry, the ST article is behind a paywall here:-
    Surgeon unmasks critics on Mumsnet
    but here's a Mumsnet thread on it :- Sunday Times story today about Mumsnet having to reveal posters' names | Mumsnet Discussion

*Apologies for mentioning the Mumsnet website but it's really irrelevant which particular forum is involved in this- the interesting bit is the process.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 15
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

That's always been the case here too. The COs will, quite correctly, tell anyone requesting data on members to jog on - unless, and this is the key point - they back it up with an enforceable court order.

Arrse is far, far less anonymous than you may think, with many members knowing each other through shared service, social gatherings and such.

If in doubt, apply the 'would I say this out loud in court' test.

• Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Never post anything you wouldn't be prepared to back up in a court of law. ( even if it's outrageous bollocks)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yeah, I've always thought that there is good level of self and peer censorship of stuff that strays into dangerous territory.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lets not forget the rumour about Mods sharing people email addresses via Facebook pages.

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. Dear Doctor

Unfortunately we are unable to provide information regarding the two Harpynet correspondents as you request, other than one gave her name as "Lily Savage" and the other as "Pussy Galore". It seems that the Law does not require us to check names and addresses given to us, nor does it require applicants to furnish us with true details.

We are sorry to disappoint you on this occasion.

Yours, Harpynet

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. "Just give us the IP addresses then."

• Like Like x 5
  8. According to my IP, I'm in Manchester. Eww.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Royal Infirmary or North Manchester General?

• Funny Funny x 15
  10. Has anyone ever tried (Via a court order)

11. That would be useful. Did you know @The_Snail is in Manchester at present? I'm in Lancaster, 23 miles from where I am . . .

12. And so is the bloke next door, it seems . . .

13. Didn't @rgjbloke do it because his business was suffering and his family were reading this website or something? It was about the time he asked for his account to be deleted.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

I'm in Dublin, over 100 miles away and the phone company don't have my name.

Good luck chasing me up.

• Funny Funny x 6