ARRSE BREAKS THROUGH THE 1000 Barrier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It only took 58 members from the arrse site to crash through the 1000 [align=justify]barrier on the Downing Street petition to help get a fair deal for service personnel on the housing front. We also have an Early Day Motion in Parliament. To date only 138 MPs have signed it and we are hoping that more will to show backing for the forces especially so with two wars going on. We need your further help with this venture so read below and ACTION IT!

The current legislation discriminates against service personnel and puts them at a distinct disadvantage when requiring help with housing. An early day motion is currently being signed by MPs which if carried, will help change this legislation, but we need more of them to sign it if we are to get the government to take notice. We now need your support to get this through. Go to www.parliament.uk/dire...s/alcm.cfm to find your MP and then Email your MP asking for support for this EDM. Come on ARRSERS, get of your arrse and give us some support!. You can also go to the Downing Street petition to further show your support.

If you wish, you could always take this simple letter and copy and paste it to your MP via the link. Don't forget to place their name and yours in the pasted letter.

Dear *******

The following EDM 288 has been tabled in the House of Commons. I believe our armed forces should be given all the support they require for their civilian transition, and housing is a fundamental requirement. I hope you will show your support by signing EDM 288.

Yours sincerely

www.britishlegion.org....3626.shtml

2. And I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all those who have helped so far.

3. Nice one - Just goes to show it does not take that much effort to start the ball rolling.

4. Stab-bloke & dingerr
    Thanks very much for your helping in starting off the thread if you have any friends who can help in any way your help would be most appreciated.
    Best wishes
    Skynet

5. Link says page not found. Is this the one:

Find your MP

6. Thanks Skynet.

I am hoping to start a local chapter of Arrse over here. As of now , no bites yet.

I am thinking of rescinding the $1000 admission fee. What think you?

7. Ok done and sent to Mr Galloway, whats the bet i don't get a reply even though it says i will.....

8. The petition is going well and I've noticed that a LT Col has signed with his rank, good on him. The EDM has got two more MPs signed up, one Tory and one Labour. Well done to all those that have emailed their MPs as well as those that have signed the Petition.

Briefing on the issue

The current legislation discriminates against service personnel and puts them at a distinct disadvantage when requiring help with housing. An early day motion is currently being signed by MPs which if carried, will help change this legislation, but we need more of them to sign it if we are to get the government to take notice. We now need your support to get this through. Go to http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm to find your MP and then Email your MP asking for support for this EDM.

If you wish, you could always take this simple letter and copy and paste it to your MP via the link. Don't forget to place their name and yours in the pasted letter.

Dear *******

The following EDM 288 has been tabled in the House of Commons. I believe our armed forces should be given all the support they require for their civilian transition, and housing is a fundamental requirement. I hope you will show your support by signing EDM 288.

Yours sincerely

I'm sure you can spare 2 minutes to email your MPs and ask them to sign EDM 288. The link at the (BOTTOM) also allows you to show your support for our serving soldiers. Click the link and sign the petition. I also hope you will ask family and friends to sign the petition and email their MPs.

Hitback

9. I wrote to my local MP concerning this matter back in January and received the reply below:

"Thank you for your email dated 8th January, outlining your concerns over the housing problems faced by former members of the armed forces when making the transition into civilian life. I have made representation to Ministers on your behalf and will ensure you receive a copy of the response.

Given your interest in this area, I thought you might like to know that investment in accommodation for current members of the armed forces is ongoing, with an estimated £5bn expected to be spent on accommodation and housing over the next 10 years. In addition, the ongoing Project SLAM (Single Living Accommodation Modernistation) is delivering high-quality accommodation for single serviceman and women at sites across the country, ensuring they receive the housing they deserve.

I hope to be in touch again shortly. In the meantime, do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Yours sincerely

Helen Southworth MP
    Warrington South"

Am I missing something here?

10. Try writing again pointing out that the subject is "Former members of the Armed Forces" making sure it is highlighted, in bold type and capital letters.

Her letter sounds more like a party political broadcast :scratch:

11. I take it she has not been in touch yet. She stated "with an estimated £5bn expected to be spent on accommodation and housing over the next 10 years". I would like to point out, this is not a pledge to do so, its an open gesture, some spin. The fact is the Homelessness Legislation discriminates against our serving personnel and their families, as well as our veterans and thats wrong. I was talking with the Shadow Defence Minister at the start of this week at the HoC. I asked him what happened to the 1.6bn Annington homes Plc, gave the government for the purchase of all the service housing. I was told that 100million was placed to one side to refurbish the quarters still in use and the rest went to the Exchequer. The Exchequer has made over 100million in the shared profits sale agreement since 1997 to 2004 with Annington homes Plc. Whilst military personnel that buy the Annington homes only recieve 1% for each full 10 years served. My question to the Shadow Defence Minister was why are service families not given greater discount for the homes they once rented. The shared profits sale agreement should be there to assist military personnel onto the property ladder.

If we want changes made to the way we are treated, then we must stand together. Those in power will continue to spin figures, and lie to all of us.

EDM 288 is pressing the issue of housing for service leavers and will continue to do so with your support. Stage One is for you to Email your MP asking them to support this EDM. Stage Two, Sign the Petition via the link below and ask your friends and family to do the same.

Hitback

Rockape34, your comments hit the nail on the head. Its all to do with spin and appeasement of those that have show loyalty.

12. Rgr D'. Peter Bottomley MP has got one in his mail box now.. :plotting:

13. North East Beds done :)