ARRSE Battlefield Tour poll

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by YesItsMe, May 6, 2008.

1. The Somme

2. Normandy

3. Ypres

4. Arnhem/Oosterbeek

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Quoting oldbaldy:
    Well, after the success of Ypres where next & when.

Suggestions so far are:

The Somme

Some clues:

Quoting banjotrooper:
    Iain is down on the Somme at the moment. His Somme tours have been receiving some realy great reports, so if that's where you all wish to go next, pm me or Iain and we will sort it!

Sorry for forgetting this first. :oops:
    Quoting Cuddles:
    Somme? September? Can I run you through the Battle of Flers?

I'm sure banjo would tour us for another Ypres round. ;)

Quoting scarletto:
    I can give tours of Arnhem/Oosterbeek that would knock your socks off,if your prepared to walk a lot?
  2. YesItsMe

i'd say the somme first now ... fits best somehow after the ypres tour

though ... there's still so much left in and around ypres ... well perhaps in spring again ;)
  3. Either not fussed as have seen neither yet. They are all on the todo list
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I expressed a preference for Normandy for no other reason than I've not been there. I plan to go this summer now. Arnhem is just down the road for me and I recently went there with a veteran and am planning to go again in September. So the Somme has to be my choice as well then.

When, September, October?
  5. The Somme for me to.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I would think Sept. Once into Oct it will start to get cooler & more chance of rain. It needs to be late enough though to make sure the harvest is in & the chalk line of the trenches can be seen.
  7. YesItsMe

guess that's the next poll we need - once this is answered by everyone who's interested

i think ob is right - should be september ... and whether 3 or more days - no idea
    guess we need some clue from cuddles or flyingmonkey how much time you need for at least getting an idea about things
  8. I voted for the Somme. Let me know when (mid Sep would be very good) as I have a mate who would like to come as well.
  9. YesItsMe

that's great :)

a big thanks to cuddles for an excellent and extensive pm about places and time you need :)
    if he's ok with it i will quote some of it in the next poll

so far looks like we can stick to september - but guess we need another poll to find out about duration of stay
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

My car load are looking at Sept we have been a bit busy over the weekend, three of us had to fight for parliament at the Battle of Naseby :D
    We are looking round at accommodation at the moment.
  11. YesItsMe

could you list some accommodation links you discover in here please ob?
  12. I am up for any of them
  13. I am up for any of them
  14. YesItsMe

that's great :)

really looking forward to seeing you all again :D

what do you think ... wait till end of may then starting a poll about date and duration?

we stayed here in December - Philippe will serve drinks as long as we want :D (unlike the nasty people in Romorantin when I went to Valencay F Section Memorial Commemoration last weekend - the bar shut at 11pm :evil: )

group I went with have also stayed here and recommend it