Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARRSE & Bad CO in Defence Focus Magazine (MoD publication)

Bad CO

Admin
Did I mention that .......................................... I'm Spartacus!

Anyway we had an interesting development today with an email from the AD from D Def PR who was quoted in the article. They are interested in the 'official' user idea which I'll obviously be following up on .... we'll keep you all posted!

Myss

LE
I hope you remind him about your fee in your reply :biggrin:

Bad CO said:
.... and in fact they didn't even stand me a cup of coffee from the nasty machines in Main Building!

They did you a favour. Nice article, well done.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bad CO said:

Anyway we had an interesting development today with an email from the AD from D Def PR who was quoted in the article. They are interested in the 'official' user idea which I'll obviously be following up on .... we'll keep you all posted!

Will this go into the 'Free Fire Zone' such as NAAFI or into the 'We must watch our p's & q's here chaps'?

BTW - did Spartacus not lead a revolt, something which is denied on the home page of this (now officially) venerable site? :thumleft:

Auld-Yin said:
Bad CO said:

Will this go into the 'Free Fire Zone' such as NAAFI or into the 'We must watch our p's & q's here chaps'?

BTW - did Spartacus not lead a revolt, something which is denied on the home page of this (now officially) venerable site? :thumleft:

Only after his wife, also called Spartacus (and/or Brian), gave permission having threatened him with leaving Omo in the kitchen window :wink:
For real, well done Bad CO :clap:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bad CO said:
Nice to see some sort of semi-official recognition though - perhaps the most interesting quote was from the AD of Defence PR......

I don't see a problem as long as security is not compromised and it is clear that views expressed are personal ......

I believe these new(!!!) technologies present many more opportunities than they do risk. We will be looking at how MOD might engage with these new channels in 2007

Good job BCO........FOCUS is UNCLAS and does not even the carry the caveat 'Not for distribution' as , say the official REME journal does.

....and I have news for Robin.....bits of MoD has been engaging with ARRSE for some time....perhaps the best example being MoDbloke's use of the Board to sound deployed pers on the contents of the Christmas Box last year.

In the part of Mod I used to work in, we were pointed at ARRSE because the project was being discussed here. I was able to add two pennyworth to some of the debate going on.....I wouldn't go so far to claim any influence on how we were perceived as a result, but at least I'd aired our viewpoint as some kind of puny counter balance to the usual litany of

'It's all ARRSE dreamed up by bean counters' and

'It'll never work...bring back the SMLE...chunter, purge, grip, tick etc etc...'

In my new-ish orbit I have been dismayed to be literally told

' ARRSE is like the writing on toilet walls - and should be ignored '

BZZZZT - WRONG ! Ostrich management at its finest.

well done guys......mine's a Guinness ;-)

Le Chevre

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Focus is about as classified as the Scottish Sunday Post, but rather less interesting and with worse photographers.

The internet is 'new media'? Wow. Cool. Where would we all be without the MOD to keep us up to speed?

See, the trouble with 'new media' is that it represents a form of anarchy. 'Old media' relies on advertising to keep it running. And while ARRSE generates ad revenue, it wouldnt sustain a monthly magazine. So you have an easily accessible forum, moderated admittedly, but pretty free and easy. Tell me that doesnt scare the spin mongers?

"We will be looking at how MOD might engage with these new channels in 2007".

I cant wait. Because the driver behind much new media is humour and the ability to engage with the readership. Something publications like Focus just cant seem to get right. I wish the MOD well of its attempts to engage new media. They've done OK with those roving roadshows, particularly the Navy one.

Maybe take a look at what the Septics have been up to? They used YouTube to make an ugly, funny looking black helicopter look sexy. Which helped recruitment. Because theres a generation out there not reading newspapers or watching TV news. Their opinions increasingly are formed by 'new media'.

If I had a 17 year old interested in joining up, I'd point him to ARRSE before some over slick, ad agency produced glossy commercial.

I was stunned to see ARRSE mentioned on the Defence Intranet!

Well done, Bad CO; shame about the lack of a fee and coffee though!

But as ARRSE will soon be mainstream at this rate, where I am going to feed my appetite for anarchy?

Litotes

Active_Edge_841 said:
Here, at last, is the write up from Defence Focus. (Some of us are busy you know.......honest. :wink: ) As I mentioned earlier in the thread Bad CO is quite happy with it being placed here for all to see. The only bit that I've omitted is the rather dodgey looking photo of the soldier at his keyboard with ARRSE on his monitor. (No it wasn't Bad CO in the photo.)

Where is the link? :shock:

Sven said:
Isn't Bad CO called Deborah then?

Only on Friday and Saturday nights.

Interview without coffee? Probably nothing new there, then... :thumright:

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Interceptor said:

Is it me or do those ears look... well... pointy?

But 'ne mind all that. Something just occurred to me. The MOD engaging new media? Bit of a larf, right? But they've only done it, havent they? By linking to ARRSE in Focus and on the Intranet? If you cant beat it, absorb it?

The sneaky bustards.

mad_collie said:

Five whole minutes of my precious lunch break spent scanning fcukin' focus & there was a link there all the time! :scratch:

Is it my age? :shock:

Active_Edge_841][color=red]The only bit that I've omitted is the rather dodgey looking photo of the soldier at his keyboard with ARRSE on his monitor[/color].[/quote] [quote="Interceptor said:
Here is a picture from the article. Not sure about the pink shirt and combat jacket look...

[quote="TheIronDuke]Is it me or do those ears look... well... pointy?[/quote]

...........and now you know why I originally didn't scan the photo for inclusion in the thread.

Active_Edge_841 said:
mad_collie said:

Five whole minutes of my precious lunch break spent scanning fcukin' focus & there was a link there all the time! :scratch:

Active_Edge_841][color=red]The only bit that I've omitted is the rather dodgey looking photo of the soldier at his keyboard with ARRSE on his monitor[/color].[/quote] [quote="Interceptor said:
Here is a picture from the article. Not sure about the pink shirt and combat jacket look...

[quote="TheIronDuke]Is it me or do those ears look... well... pointy?

...........and now you know why I originally didn't scan the photo for inclusion in the thread.[/quote]

Don't worry Edgy, it only went up today. So the time was not totally wasted!

acp290885

War Hero
Congratulations Bad CO. Nice to see all of your's and Good CO's hard work hasn't gone unnoticed.

Gremlin said:
Active_Edge_841 said:
mad_collie said:

[quote="TheIronDuke]Is it me or do those ears look... well... pointy?

...........and now you know why I originally didn't scan the photo for inclusion in the thread.

Don't worry Edgy, it only went up today. So the time was not totally wasted![/quote]

Ah, that well known principle of Recce. Looking for something that isn't there, is not time totally wasted...

Latest Threads