Arrse and the work/life balance

If you can be a professional blogger/YouTuber - why not a professional ARRSEr? Imagine the joy of telling people that "I earn money from ARRSE" and then having to explain that you are not a rent boy!

Some of our Russian posters may be being paid.

Luckily for me, my wife and her assistant run things around our office. This allows me to Arrse when I feel like it, and do some other stuff.I'm only kept on as my name still means something in our business, and that brings in new clients.

I am finding it increasing difficult to reconcile the work/life balance, particularly fitting the work bit in. I find I’m spending more and more time at work calculating when I can afford to retire and when I’m not doing that, I’m either eying up the inappriately young tush in Supply Chain, organizing next weekend or on Arrse. I rarely go on Arrse after work as it impinges on my free time when I have better things to do. We are coming up for evaluations at work so my question is, would a moderator be willing to write an appraisal of my admittedly limited contribution to Arrse for my employer so that it could be included in my annual evaluation? Otherwise I have really very little to justify coming into work for the past year.
You've failed massively if you can't get others to do the work for you. Carry on.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Due to retire in a couple of months just before the 66th anniversary of my natal day. It's getting increasingly difficult to stay focussed on the task and avoid the 'on-the-job-retired' tag. But, I will bite the bullet and see it through knowing the alarm clock can safely go out the window and I can fill my day with 'her' jobs at zero pay. At best, it will be a change but open to negotiation.
You appear to be married, and for some time at that, yet you still believe that SWMBO's "suggestions" are actually open to negotiation!

Boy are you in for a shock in retirement day +1 !

I'll admit, I don't peruse ARRSE while at work, as I can't quite decide if it's a wise move via MoDNET or PurpleNET and phones are not permitted.

However, I make up for it by catching up on the mlarring I've missed in the evenings!

I am finding it increasing difficult to reconcile the work/life balance, particularly fitting the work bit in. I find I’m spending more and more time at work calculating when I can afford to retire and when I’m not doing that, I’m either eying up the inappriately young tush in Supply Chain, organizing next weekend or on Arrse. I rarely go on Arrse after work as it impinges on my free time when I have better things to do. We are coming up for evaluations at work so my question is, would a moderator be willing to write an appraisal of my admittedly limited contribution to Arrse for my employer so that it could be included in my annual evaluation? Otherwise I have really very little to justify coming into work for the past year.
In true Benny Hill style
What a load of Borrocks

Due to retire in 3 weeks, 3 years ahead of my 66th. Fortunately I've enough income that I don't need to work and will be able to survive financially until the state pension kicks in 3 years hence. I've had a chat with a firm local to me to see if they'd like my knowledge for up to 3 years but if they decide not to take me on, I'm entirely fine with that too.

Since the new year may I just say, "What's focused?". **** me but it's hard to show any interest when you can see the exit sign flashing over the door. I'll be helpful if someone asks for help, (and I don't hate them of course), but offering anything voluntarily - not happening. Grey-man time. I never used to be like that.

Thank **** I've been part-time for the last 3 years, to nicely wind down. SWMBO is a few years younger than me and is carrying on working, so I'll be a house husband for awhile. Not getting up at stupid o'clock, (even only part-time ), bring it on.
Good luck CS with the lie-ins. SWMBO will be needing tea in bed, packed lunches put together, cars de-icing. Which you will be glad to do, as you aren’t “doing anything”.

Where did I ever find the time to work........

Ordered the plywood for the workshop roof, plus the torch- on felt.

Stripped the rotten wood from my trailer, ordered new ply, ground and wirebrushed the steelwork, painted it, first coat.

Nipped over to Lidl for some cheapo wine......

Made corned beef gratin for tea........

Good luck CS with the lie-ins. SWMBO will be needing tea in bed, packed lunches put together, cars de-icing. Which you will be glad to do, as you aren’t “doing anything”.
She gets a lift to work most days and makes her own packed lunch, so I'll not be doing much, if any, of that. On the days when she's not at work I'm usually up first and she has a lie in. I may or may not take her a cup up later, usually not though.

Note to self - don't make it obvious you're delighted to be warm and snug in bed on a cold and snowy winter morning as she's getting ready for work.

Luckily for me, my wife and her assistant run things around our office. This allows me to Arrse when I feel like it, and do some other stuff.I'm only kept on as my name still means something in our business, and that brings in new clients.

You are Phil Daniels, and I claim my free ride on your Vespa or Leslie Ash!

I retired at 37, come to one of my talks and buy my book for £100 so you can learn how to retire early.

Note to self - don't make it obvious you're delighted to be warm and snug in bed on a cold and snowy winter morning as she's getting ready for work.
I do find it most difficult to get Mrs B&B to the car when it is raining (MY HAIR!!!!!!)
She does have the Winter Package on the Volvo, so snow and ice are fine.

On the plus side, she has just come back from being "up north" for a couple of days.
She has come back with that ready brek glow thing, quite fetching it is.
Does it wear off, it would be so good at Christmas time, save on the heating bill.

You appear to be married, and for some time at that, yet you still believe that SWMBO's "suggestions" are actually open to negotiation!

Boy are you in for a shock in retirement day +1 !
Greetings. Yes, married a while and under no illusions. I intend to play the arthritis card and tactfully remind her that I am no longer 35 and able to do the heavy stuff. Interesting times ahead.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Greetings. Yes, married a while and under no illusions. I intend to play the arthritis card and tactfully remind her that I am no longer 35 and able to do the heavy stuff. Interesting times ahead.
Believe me - it won't work! :p

I retired in October last on my 49th birthday after 22 in the mob and 9 contracting.
With the contraction it was 13plus hours a day 7days a week 40days off a year including travel.
Two things I would do is arrange six months of private medical care as the number of things that have gone wrong with me since retirement are mad and the time for NHS to kick in to treat is so slow.
The second was I downloaded The Telegraph’s list of 100 books to read before you die, of which I’ve read 3.
One top-tip ( like Civvy Scum)is don’t stand in the widow drinking coffee while wearing the wife’s dressing gown as she chisels snow and ice off the car so she can go to work and think she’ll not hold a grudge!

Ahh don't worry about it, I do pretty much the same except I constantly tell everyone I do the sum total of fook all on a daily basis other than 'wander around a bit'. People cant really handle the truth and don't know what to do when you point out that you wouldn't want your integrity questioning.
I look at it as training for retirement, with the rather irritating aspect that they insist on me being somewhere not doing anything for 8 hours a day when I could be doing all kinds of useful things.

I retired at 37, come to one of my talks and buy my book for £100 so you can learn how to retire early.
£100 for a book... I heard it cost you an arm and a leg...