Arrse and the work/life balance

I am finding it increasing difficult to reconcile the work/life balance, particularly fitting the work bit in. I find I’m spending more and more time at work calculating when I can afford to retire and when I’m not doing that, I’m either eying up the inappriately young tush in Supply Chain, organizing next weekend or on Arrse. I rarely go on Arrse after work as it impinges on my free time when I have better things to do. We are coming up for evaluations at work so my question is, would a moderator be willing to write an appraisal of my admittedly limited contribution to Arrse for my employer so that it could be included in my annual evaluation? Otherwise I have really very little to justify coming into work for the past year.

Take this to it’s logical conclusion and don’t turn in for work. See if they miss you.

I’d counsel against getting a Mod to provide a reference as most of them can’t write it may alert your employer.

Work? I think someone once said it's the curse of the drinking class...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am finding it increasing difficult to reconcile the work/life balance, particularly fitting the work bit in. I find I’m spending more and more time at work calculating when I can afford to retire and when I’m not doing that, I’m either eying up the inappriately young tush in Supply Chain, organizing next weekend or on Arrse. I rarely go on Arrse after work as it impinges on my free time when I have better things to do. We are coming up for evaluations at work so my question is, would a moderator be willing to write an appraisal of my admittedly limited contribution to Arrse for my employer so that it could be included in my annual evaluation? Otherwise I have really very little to justify coming into work for the past year.
Jorrocks contribution to Arrse has been so convoluted and catastrophic that I am surprised he had time to do any paid work!

Would that do.

I'm not yet retired but I work for myself, so it's much the same really... ;-)
I work in a profession that requires a medical certificate that can be suspended for a whole range of issues, quite a few of which are trivial to the point of not affecting life beyond being sensible and doing as the medics say.

I am currently not working on full salary courtesy of one such condtion.

Which is a shame.

Due to retire in a couple of months just before the 66th anniversary of my natal day. It's getting increasingly difficult to stay focussed on the task and avoid the 'on-the-job-retired' tag. But, I will bite the bullet and see it through knowing the alarm clock can safely go out the window and I can fill my day with 'her' jobs at zero pay. At best, it will be a change but open to negotiation.

Same here.

Unfortunately, I'm such a procrastinator, that I spend too much time on here, and pissing about doing anything other than work.

Consequently, I am facing bankruptcy, homelessness and relationship failure.

There again, money can't buy you happiness, cheers Arrse!

I find the work/arrse balance quite easy. I'm an ex-inf mong so shimfing off at any opportunity & looking busy while doing nothing are a piece of piss. Its in the blood.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
"Jorrocks is an exemplary employee, though for who, we're not quite sure. His dedication to the task at hand can be measured in the amount of arguments he has started and then flounced off from in the middle of. His tenacity and determination to avoid work, is only matched by the amount of work he subsequently creates for himself with his cunning Acme style plans to avoid any real work.

His presence on ARRSE is valued by many. This is mainly by those at his current employers as it keeps him quiet and stops him from contemplating sexual harassment on young Stephanie in Supply. His jokes are renowned and appreciated, such as the time he told young Stephanie about how he'd like to 'supply' her with an important 'load'.
He brings a defined and niche skill set to the workplace which is hard to replicate, due to covert farting and knuckled nose picking no longer being vocational training courses.

There are also occasions when his previous expertise from his military background has been invaluable, such as the time when tasked with the bi-annual H&S Fire Evacuation Drill, he instead replaced it with the mock scenario of the 3rd Shock Army storming the vehicle depot. It will be a long time before Bill in the gatehouse will forget being dragged off as a 'Commie scum' for interrogation or how young Stephanie was told how she'd have been raped by the Russians had the drill failed. The attempt to act out the scenario to better her understanding was agreed as being unnecessary.

Overall, Jorrocks is a steadfast member of the organisation and is suitable for further internal advancement or alternatively, external loan to our competitors, as there would be no surer way to maximise our company profits whilst the others gradually decline, thanks to Jorrock's ability to mis-manage even the tea fund."

Last edited:
Break your self into it. I’ve been working only six months a year for years. It’s a beautiful thing

Currently on a six and six rotation perfect

Soon to be slowing that down I reckon, life’s for living

Due to retire in a couple of months just before the 66th anniversary of my natal day. It's getting increasingly difficult to stay focussed on the task and avoid the 'on-the-job-retired' tag. But, I will bite the bullet and see it through knowing the alarm clock can safely go out the window and I can fill my day with 'her' jobs at zero pay. At best, it will be a change but open to negotiation.
Due to retire in 3 weeks, 3 years ahead of my 66th. Fortunately I've enough income that I don't need to work and will be able to survive financially until the state pension kicks in 3 years hence. I've had a chat with a firm local to me to see if they'd like my knowledge for up to 3 years but if they decide not to take me on, I'm entirely fine with that too.

Since the new year may I just say, "What's focused?". Fuck me but it's hard to show any interest when you can see the exit sign flashing over the door. I'll be helpful if someone asks for help, (and I don't hate them of course), but offering anything voluntarily - not happening. Grey-man time. I never used to be like that.

Thank fuck I've been part-time for the last 3 years, to nicely wind down. SWMBO is a few years younger than me and is carrying on working, so I'll be a house husband for awhile. Not getting up at stupid o'clock, (even only part-time ), bring it on.

Ahhh...retirement...what a quaint word!

Im retired and look on arrse everyday
I've never actually logged out in the ten years I 've been here I just close the laptop lid.
With all the chores the wife finds me I
Had an easier time in work. But life goes on and thats the way it is.

Last edited:
Work?

That sounds nasty & might get in the way of fishing/hunting/ holidays.

I'll do without thanks.

Me and Mrs S opened a consultancy 23 years ago. Slow at first then busy for the next 20. Easing off now with about half the work of those busy years.

Pensions kicking in and next year will be half as busy as this, then meh, the odd project.

Life is good.

"Jorrocks is an exemplary employee, though for who, we're not quite sure. His dedication to the task at hand can be measured in the amount of arguments he has started and then flounced off from in the middle of. His tenacity and determination to avoid work, is only matched by the amount of work he subsequently creates for himself with his cunning Acme style plans to avoid any real work.

His presence on ARRSE is valued by many. This is mainly by those at his current employers as it keeps him quiet and stops him from contemplating sexual harassment on young Stephanie in Supply. His jokes are renowned and appreciated, such as the time he told young Stephanie about how he'd like to 'supply' her with an important 'load'.
He is brings a defined and niche skill set to the workplace which is hard to replicate, due to covert farting and knuckled nose picking no longer vocational training courses.

There are also occasions when his previous expertise from his military background has been invaluable, such as the time when tasked with the bi-annual H&S Fire Evacuation Drill, he instead replaced it with the mock scenario of the 3rd Shock Army storming the vehicle depot. It will be a long time before Bill in the gatehouse will forget being dragged off as a 'Commie scum' for interrogation or how young Stephanie was told how she'd have been raped by the Russians had the drill failed. The attempt to act out the scenario to better her understanding was agreed as being unnecessary.

Overall, Jorrocks is a steadfast member of the organisation and is suitable for further internal advancement or alternatively, external loan to our competitors, as there would be no surer way to maximise our company profits whilst the others gradually decline, thanks to Jorrock's ability to mis-manage even the tea fund."
I think we may have worked together before!