Arrrgh - what is this?

Recently I have been trying to save energy (and stresses on my PC) by leaving my PC in hibernate mode. However, it has suddenly come to life, beeped, flashed "E-Mail" on the screen in green, and tried (without success) to open Internet Explorer and access something like Redirect.Pavilliondownload.com.

Argh! I am running anti virus checks again, but I do not think it is that. It keeps doing this again and again. Even powered up it has seems to do it now and then. It really is annoying.

Any suggestions?

P

PrinceAlbert

Is it a browser add-on that needs diabling? I had something similar a while back. Took me a while to work out how to stop the ******* thing.

Doh! Just looked in control panal and found that the firewall was turned off. FFS!

Hope that solves it as it really is a pain.

Thought it had solved it (putting the Firwall back on). No. However, upgrading to IE8/9/whatever should have done.

Howvr, a website belonging to a local company still gives me a blank page with "ancient browser detected", advising that IE6 dates back to 2001 and suggesting downloading a new browser. Which is what I did...

Arrrgh!

Thought it had solved it (putting the Firwall back on). No. Howver, upgrading to IE8 should have done.

Howvr, a website belonging to a local company still gives me a blank page with "ancient browser detected", advising that IE6 dates back to 2001 and suggesting downloading a new browser. Which is what I did...

Arrrgh!
You've upgraded to IE8? IE9 is over a year old now...

Maybe there's a knot in your power supply cable slowing the electricity.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds like a BHO. Tried CCleaner on it? Free to download.
No no no no no no - don't have anything to do with Ccleaner it's got plenty of malware of it's own. it was a total nightmare to get rid of it and repair all the damage it did.

You've got e-Aids.

Sorry.

Download Rkill and MALWAREBYTES anti-malware.

Run in that order.

sorted.

Have you checked for any HP driver updates? It looks as if it's trying to update itself but your firewall is probably blocking it.

I did what chocolate_frog suggested and downloaded and run RKill and Malwarebytes.

RKill terminated three process:

* C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe (PID: 1988) [WD-HEUR]
* C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe (PID: 2012) [WD-HEUR]
* C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe (PID: 3168) [WD-HEUR]

Did you read the thread I linked in post #2?

Hewlett Packard Pavilion computers come pre-installed with "phone-home" spyware made by Netropa. This nasty phone-home software is named the "One touch multimedia keyboard". This spy ware is located in a computer file executable named mmkeybd.exe which drives the HP Pavilion pre-installed internet enabled keyboard.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you read the thread I linked in post #2?

Hewlett Packard Pavilion computers come pre-installed with "phone-home" spyware made by Netropa. This nasty phone-home software is named the "One touch multimedia keyboard". This spy ware is located in a computer file executable named mmkeybd.exe which drives the HP Pavilion pre-installed internet enabled keyboard.
Yes I did.

After last night's steps, the same f***ing thing happened. I bought this HP computer years ago and it caused no trouble like this until a few months ago.

So - how do I find and get rid of this file (assuming the keyboard will still work afterwards?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes I did.

After last night's steps, the same f***ing thing happened. I bought this HP computer years ago and it caused no trouble like this until a few months ago.

So - how do I find and get rid of this file (assuming the keyboard will still work afterwards?
your basic functions should still work - you might find any extra multimedia keys go a bit wobbly. I'd move the files to the desktop, rename them temporarily and see how it goes. then let Windows find the best drivers for your keyboard, and if it's all still working ok after that get rid of the file off the desktop.

Latest Threads