Arrogant! Moi?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BiscuitsAB, Oct 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yeah well maybe most of the time, however today I was humbled.

At lunch time I stood in a quiet corner of a quiet grave yard in the grounds of an average market town church.

I was faced with the grave stones of warriors. there was an MM, MC's, QGM's and others. The graves were imaculate and as I visited local church volunteers (women and children) were tidying up, remove wilted flowers and putting a bunch of fresh flowers at every grave.

There in Two rows was everyone from a tom to a Lt Col and everyone in between, and on the wall next to it plaques to those who had fallen and are burried else where. At certain graves there was a can of beer or a half bottle of something, a true reminder that those fallen heros are still today remembered by those they served with.

And if my pride needed a further reminder that there have been greater people to tread the face of the earth in another section of the grave yard was the war grave of a ATS L/Cpl Hilda Peregreen died sept 1944.

We all sing the praises of our fallen but who amongst us remebers that it wasnt just our Grandfathers (well fathers for some of you old buggers) but also our Grandmothers that fought those short 60 years ago?

It wasn't windy or dusty so theres no exscuse as I paid my respects to each one of them a tear welled up in my eye.

The place for those that haven't already guessed.

St Martins
  2. Makes you think !! Nice post mate !
  3. I'm in the area with work the week after next. I've already told my colleagues we will be making a detour and visiting this place on the return trip.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

PEREGREEN, Lance Corporal, HILDA, W/223497. Auxiliary Territorial Service. 13th September 1944. Age 26. Daughter of James and Eliza McDougall, of Hinton Court, Hereford.

Someone's daughter, someone's wife.

Good post, AB
  5. Cans of beer you say. Enough to make a quick diversion worthwhile?
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Three cans of Carling a half bottle of vodka and what looked like a bottle of scotch (but it could have been "wee",everyone of "them" i've met always had a dark sense of humour. )
  7. Whenever I'm in a new area I always visit the local graveyard and look for the WGC headstones I believe in the ancient Greek idea that as long as your name is remembered amongst the living you are immortal.

In the same vein a few years ago our unit was awarded the freedom of Kensington and Chelsea; amongst the parade were a few dear old grannies in pearls and twinsets, sporting enough medals including Croix de Guerre to make Andy McNab mumble into his beard about being busy that day. Gentlemen I give you The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry.
  8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

The FANY?

Been past said graveyard a couple of times on work stuff but not had chance to go in. Friend of mine says it's quite a sight. If I'm up there again I shall make a point of stopping.
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah F.A.N.Y indeed, which just goes to show that you don't have to carry a gat to be a hero.
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Mate if you ever feel your maybe getting a bit big for your boots take five and visit them. it makes you think.
  11. what makes you think they weren't armed? :?
  12. Surely as Medics they're not allowed to be? Well, nothing bigger than a spud gun anyway. There's a cemetry just across the main road from me, visited there the other day just out for a walk with the girlfriend but saw loads of graves like these, it was very humbling to read the names and the medals. Some featured battle honours too and I saw a few that fought with my grandfather, well the same battalion anyway.
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hm let me think! non military nursing units during WW1 carrying weapons?

Dunno, but would like to see any research that says they did.
  14. Because women weren't allowed ot be armed during the second world war?

this time of year gets me reflective, we must never forget any of them.
  15. [​IMG]

The Poopster is right, they all carried pistols and the record for the fastest drawer in the British Forces was awarded to Cpl Eunice Grovestock of the WRENs.

As part of the training they were made to carry large boulders to the top of a hill and make a 'nice cup of tea' in extreme weather

Part of their CEFO was a hanky, when licked it would steralise and clean anything from a gunshot wound to a young resistance boys grubby chops.

As part of this thread I interviewed 2Lt Margery Breadbin (Mid) in Sicily and she said

'Ooooooooooooooooooohhh those Jerries'

I saluted, turned about, ducked to avoid the washing drying in the pantry and smartly marched out.