Arriving at Battalion??

What's it like for new recruits when they arrive at Battalion? Especially if the battalion are just after returning from Afghan.

Understanbly alot of the guys would be like a tight knit family just coming back from combat & all, so for a new sprog what's it like fitting in?

Just try and fit in, you will probably do a lot of duties initially while the guys are on leave, try not to get into trouble and knuckle down, oh dont forget you will probably drink a lot get drunk a lot but make sure you turn up on parade every time

I know it's a stupid question but here goes......

Is it true there's weird hazing traditions for new lads

tmsbry said:

Officially ... No. Un-Officially ... Yes.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Big_Bazza said:
Someone seems a little worried? : )
Who wasn't as the day approached that they would arrive at their first posting? I know I was!

Don't worry fella. You'll get plenty to keep you busy. Pay respect where it is due, don't try to be the big 'I am', and listen, listen, listen.

Some units assign a mentor for the first few weeks. Take note of what you are told - but try and not be caught out by some of the little games they will inevitably play. There is no such thing as a left handed screw-driver for example!

Good luck, and I wish you well on your first posting.

Right, firstly I take it your Joining 1 Royal Irish? As I've just spotted that you are using my Platoon's 'Tour Quote' under your post (I put it up on the wall in Sangin and suddenly its appearing everywhere!!) Just get to Battalion, do as you are asked, get they lay of the land and call everyone of rank, by their rank until instructed to do otherwise and you won't go far wrong. A fit, motivated new guy will be accepted mouch more quickly then a gobby ********. Those first few weeks in Battalion can shape your Army career, so don't **** up, just do your best. Good luck!

tmsbry said:

No,you might get the sent to the CQ for a long weight (wait) or something like that,when I arrived at a certain Bomb Dump out of trade training with Ryan,we got a dunking in the Moray Firth & thats it.

When i first arrived at Reg, i passed a guy lying drunk as a skunk next to a radiator, and the sound of a fight going on. Fecking worrying/interesting first night in my room.!!

Skinn_Full said:
Right, firstly I take it your Joining 1 Royal Irish? As I've just spotted that you are using my Platoon's 'Tour Quote' under your post (I put it up on the wall in Sangin and suddenly its appearing everywhere!!) Just get to Battalion, do as you are asked, get they lay of the land and call everyone of rank, by their rank until instructed to do otherwise and you won't go far wrong. A fit, motivated new guy will be accepted mouch more quickly then a gobby ********. Those first few weeks in Battalion can shape your Army career, so don't * up, just do your best. Good luck!
Fcuking hell, wish I didn't ask, I'm even more nervous now,

On a serious note thanks, sounds like good advice

Skinn_Full said:
Right, firstly I take it your Joining 1 Royal Irish? As I've just spotted that you are using my Platoon's 'Tour Quote' under your post (I put it up on the wall in Sangin and suddenly its appearing everywhere!!)
Funny that :roll:

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."

Ronald Reagan, D-Day Ceremonies, June 6th, 1984

tmsbry said:
Fcuking hell, wish I didn't ask, I'm even more nervous now,

On a serious note thanks, sounds like good advice
Don't worry. Just play the game and do as you're told ... you'll soon fit in. Before you know it you'll be drinking p1ss out of a shoe just like the rest of them.

You just need to realise that if they have just returned from Afghanistan, and may of had a rough time, that their bound to be clicky. Just be a likeable guy and they'll soon come around to you.

blobmeister said:
Skinn full, did mother teresa steal your saying too? (that she made in the early days)

It has also been featured on a JHF(A) building for about 1 year+ !
Hmm, didn't mention anything in my post about anyone "stealing my saying" nor did I claim that it was "my saying". However, I saw it in a book I was reading whilst on tour and though it relevant, in a poetic sense to the situation I found myself in at the time. I have since seen it in frequent use since returning to the UK, by members of my own unit and potential members. Hence my earlier comment. No harm to you, if you don't like it....you can stick it up your bollocks!! ;-)

Skinn_Full said:
blobmeister said:
Skinn full, did mother teresa steal your saying too? (that she made in the early days)

It has also been featured on a JHF(A) building for about 1 year+ !
Hmm, didn't mention anything in my post about anyone "stealing my saying" nor did I claim that it was "my saying". However, I saw it in a book I was reading whilst on tour and though it relevant, in a poetic sense to the situation I found myself in at the time. I have since seen it in frequent use since returning to the UK, by members of my own unit and potential members. Hence my earlier comment. No harm to you, if you don't like it....you can stick it up your balls!! ;-)
No harm to you, if you don't like it....you can stick it up your balls!!

Skinn_Full ARRSE 26th Jan 2009 :D