Arras/Vimy Ridge 16-19 April 2010 Accommodation

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Jan 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

As I'm snowbound might as well get this going:
    We have booked Snowden House in Longueval:
    Snowden House Website

This is the house we used for the 2008 trip to The Somme..
    Ideal for large parties, I have options, from the owners, for other accomodation if we fill this.
    This house is not suitable for underteens and rooms are mainly dormatory.
    Cost of accomodation is £65 to include tour polo shirt. Anyone wanting an additional shirt, cost is £15. Local costs will be collected in Euros at the house.
    For those who wish to attend, PM me & I'll send payment details, can be either bank transfer or by UK cheque.

I'll add people to the list when payment has been received:

Confirmed

Flyingmonkey
    Old Baldy
    Mrs baldy
    Ticklish Rodent

FM will give the itinary in a separate thread.

2. John - Count me in - I will contact Mick

3. I will speak to that "limpet/loudmouth" the big floater and get the leave passes in. :D
    I will see him tonight at a mess function and will be in touch via these means. 8)

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Steve will be coming after work on the Friday & so can link up with anyone at Dover at about 6pm. He will return to UK on the Sunday night. He will travel down the A12 to the M25 and on to Dover.

5. I might have to drop out

6. I will be on over the weekend to give you all an itinierary.

Regards

FM

7. Okay, here goes for the itinerary for the saturday and Sunday:

Saturday 17th April

Leave billets at 0900 hrs and head up to Arras. Once we have numbers of those attending I am going to book us into the Wellington Quarries. These are 22 meter deep medieval quarries tunnelled into by New Zealand Tunnellers and the various quarries linked by tunnel. Literally thousands of British Troops were billeted in these systems. The Wellington Section of the Quarries are now open to visitors. The Price is about €5 per person.
    Once we have finished at the Quarries it will be a short trip by vehicle up to the Arras Memorial to the missing and Fauberd d'Amiens cemetery. That should take us up to Lunch. There are a ton of cafes and restaurants in Arras so we will park in the square and everyone will be left to their own devices for lunch.
    After Lunch we will drive just North of Beaurains where we will walk over ground to the south east of the Arras battle looking at the capture of "The Harp" and "Telegraph Hill". We will have a look at the 56th London Div breaking of the Hindenburg Line opposite Neuville Vitasse. The walk about 4 miles finishes at Crucifix Cemetery.

Sunday 18th April

There is a suprise in store for Sunday morning which may mena staying in the Somme area. I will know closer to the time if this is going to take polace or not. I cant say anything yeat apart from I know it will appeal to people!
    If the suprise does not materialise then it will be back up to Arras in the morning and doing a walk around Monchy le Preux looking at the bloody taking of this villiage in April 1917 and the later attyack from the villiage towards Infantry Hill involving the 1st Essex and Newfoundland Regt.
    Lunch as before in Arras
    The afternoon will be a trip up to Vimy Ridge memorial and memorial park plus other points of interest in the Vimy area.

It is our intention on the Saturday night when everyone is together to have a meal at the Blighty Tea Rooms. Those that came on the "Get Somme Arrse Tour" will remeber where I mean. Dinner will be a choice of:

Veggie Option, Beef Bourgnion or Chilli and then a dessert plus two drinks. I am just awaiting prices but it will be about 12 to 15 Euros a head. Once I hear back from the cafe owners we will start a list with who is having what.

If anyone has a family member or buried in the Somme/Arras area or needs to visit on behalf of someone, could they let me know to see if it is feasilble on the tour.

Regards

FM

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

If this comes off I think it will be worth the tour on it's own & those who have been on FM's tours before know that his surprise extras are always excellent.

9. Nice one FM.

Looking forward to it.

Phil

10. I have just heard back reference our dinner on the Saturday evening. It will be €12 per head.

FM

11. Simple point - you did mean April and not March

12. Noted Phil!! Well spotted. I have edited my original post! I did mean April!

FM

13. You mean he is pre booking the fog? :wink:

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

So I'm not the only one who know what it is then? :D

15. Providing myself and "the big hanger on" will be coming, i take it you would like some monks head beer brought down?