Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

Let them enjoy it, have you just got in?

Lol.

I just finished 'the Silver Spitfire" by Tom Neil, so the thread caught my eye.

We can all be a bit over detailed on the things we love; not trying to be nasty here.

Following the journey now, what a great adventure and i hope someone is taking lots of pictures.

Lol.

We can all be a bit over detailed on the things we love; not trying to be nasty here.

Following the journey now, what a great adventure and i hope someone is taking lots of pictures.
I'm really looking forward to a documentary about this, ideally not the usual one hour effort. They have been posting weekly video updates which are short but informative. Some nice pics and videos in the twitter feeds and some related podcasts. Various links in the thread.

...there is an unusual drone I have never seen before, a Lockheed D-21 drone which looks closely related to an SR-71 in style.
It is, and was initially designed to be launched from the M-21, a variant of the A-12 which was itself a precursor to the SR71.

It was also later launched from a B-52...

...which necessitated a huge booster

The D-21 flew a number of operational sorties into China during 1969-71 with mixed results (one ended up in the Soviet Union!).

Lol.

If you enjoyed that book, I can also very strongly recommend Tom Neil's 'Scramble'. In my view, it's the finest account of flying the Hurricane in combat and possibly of the Battle of Britain by a fighter pilot; certainly up there with Geoffrey Wellum's 'First Light.'

I had the enormous privilege of meeting Tom Neil and (and fellow 249 Sqn pilot George Beazeley) at North Weald in 2011. RIP both.

Regards,
MM

It is, and was initially designed to be launched from the M-21, a variant of the A-12 which was itself a precursor to the SR71.

It was also later launched from a B-52...

...which necessitated a huge booster

The D-21 flew a number of operational sorties into China during 1969-71 with mixed results (one ended up in the Soviet Union!). <snip>
You will know about this but it might be useful to modellers; The CIA declassified and published some details of the A12 a few years ago. Archangel: CIA's Supersonic A-12 Reconnaissance Aircraft — Central Intelligence Agency There is a link to the U2 flight manual on that page.
Comparison between the A12 and the SR-71. OXCART vs Blackbird: Do You Know the Difference? — Central Intelligence Agency
Area 51, U-2 and the Accidental Test Flight — Central Intelligence Agency
As the Spitfire has flown past Nevada...

It seems I guessed right about the Spitfire going to Everett, near Seattle. I couldn't find the flight track for the Spitfire from Madras, Oregon to Everett, :( so I looked for the support aircraft OY-THP instead. :cool:

1567468315687.jpeg

We do have tracking info for G-IRTY at Everett though:
1567466901291.png

They seem to have put on a display for half an hour:
1567467027352.jpeg

1567467507721.png

The schedule table below has minor updates to the schedule, with stops to date as far as Seattle (Everett). All onward stops still to be confirmed or published. However, the countries and dates are indicative of the plan. Weather permitting, the team will cross over to Canada on Thursday, with a probable flypast of Vancouver (just a guess), making three stops along the West coast, the latter of which will be an overnight stop before crossing over to Alaska.

Tracking will become patchy again and weather could ground them for days at any point. Here is an excellent insight in to flying in Alaska and Northern Canada: Bring your own ropes -- a guide to flying to and in Alaska

1567606127707.png

UPDATE 5th September

G-IRTY has flown North East, over the Mt Baker area to Kelowna in Canada. According to the revised schedule their route would appear to be up Highway 97 to Williams Lake then Fort St John. From there they will head around the the Northern Rockies and I expect follow Highway 1 to Whitehorse then over to Fairbanks in Alaska. Something along those lines.

1567704661667.jpeg

ETA a crop from the twitter post of reception at Kelowna:
1567709011063.jpeg

A post commented on long flying days ahead. The one below confirms today's flight plan.

1567709272151.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Today's three part journey has been completed. Leg 1 was Everett to Kelowna. Leg two was from Kelowna to Williams Lake and leg three (shown below) from Williams Lake to Fort St John.

1567728199292.jpeg

The schedule suggests two more night stops in Canada after Fort St John.
1567728812978.png

Last edited:
Today's flights:

1. Fort St John to Fort Nelson (Northern Rockies Regional Airport) - a virtually straight line NNW.
This is where Highway 97 (The Alaska Highway) makes a sharp turn to the left and meanders westwards.

2. Fort Nelson to Watson Lake. This is a staggered crossroads where Highway 97 ends and Highway 1 starts.
Watson Lake is also known as the gateway to the Yukon.

1567805885992.png

3. Watson Lake to Whitehorse? Interesting ascent prior to leg 3.
1567814221489.png

This map extract shows leg 3 from Watson Lake to Whitehorse. Fort St John and Fort Nelson are also visible.
1567817795815.jpeg

Last edited:
G-IRTY has landed at Fairbanks International Airport. Their time is 9 hours behind ours. It's lunchtime.

1567889504805.jpeg

Typical long range commercial aircraft fly higher and can take a longer over sea route. Fairbanks is indicated by the red pin point in the screen shot below. Commercial traffic mostly flies via Anchorage (due South of Fairbanks). The farthest blue pin point to the West is Nome Airport, about the same distance as flown so far today. It seems a reasonable guess as to their next leg of the journey and the departure point for crossing the Bering Strait (as opposed to the open sea)

1567890932203.jpeg

ETA: Confirmed that Nome is their intended next stop but see tweet and forecast at bottom of post.

Flying in Russia is a different prospect to what has gone before. There may well be more airstrips than appear on Flight Radar but I would expect a private venture like this to use the main, publicly visible airports and be restricted to where they can fly on route to Japan. I'm guessing that first hop from Nome will be to Anadyr Ugolny Airport, the farthest left pinpoint on the map below, with Nome indicated with a red pin point.
1567893178178.png

The official route map is only a very rough guide.
1567894471587.jpeg

Had a go at a route just for fun. It may not be practical.
Anadyr Ugolny Airport - Keperveyem Airport - Zyryanka Airport - Magadan Sokol Airport
Magadan Sokol Airport via Sea of Okhotsk to Okha Airport, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Airport (International) to Saporo.
Magadan Sokol via Sea of Okhotsk to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport looks a bit far for fuel range, not to mention a the pilot.

1567902919644.png

1567902965963.png

ETA No flights today (Sunday) and probably Monday.
1567935106240.png

There are new entries on the Instagram page at least as far as Fort St John.
The Silver Spitfire (@thesilverspitfire) • Instagram photos and videos

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice weather in Fairbanks this week but not so nice in Nome. Tuesday was the only chance before Friday for a flight to Anadyr Ugolny Airport via Nome but it's 3pm in Fairbanks now and there seems no point setting out this late, with a storm forecast for the Bering sea, Wednesday and Thursday. Maybe Friday or Sunday...

1568069586756.png

Attachments

A few new posts have appeared on the Twitter feed (see video and link below) but nothing new about plans and whether maintenance on the Pilatus has been completed. If both aircraft are ready, Friday to Nome looks a possibility. Rain and showers are possible at times around Fairbanks so they will be looking for a weather window to Nome which itself looks okay.

Onwards to Anadyr will likely have to wait to Saturday as it's raining there Friday. Saturday looks okay there though.

1568332673777.png

Brilliant. He really enjoyed that. ETA article about the flight for D-Day 75 and Alan's original D-Day flight.
WWII veteran flies Spitfire again for D-Day75 - FLYER

Sorry this is a Twitter link but I'm not aware of the footage being elsewhere yet. Short but worth viewing.

Last edited:
G-IRTY is in Nome :cool: although flightradar24 tracking tables are incomplete. The actual track was limited which is not unexpected for that type of terrain and sparse ADS-B coverage.

1568413209654.jpeg

1568413532298.png

1568413807440.png

1568414909254.png

Assuming the next hop is Anadyr Ugolny Airport (I could be wrong), the rain was not as heavy as I thought it might be (symbol use varies..) Whether the pilots are happy to fly in that is another matter. Saturday still looks good.

1568414566610.png

Excellent news:

1568414954622.png

Week Five Update. Sonoma County up to Alaska. Includes a flight alongside a P47 Thunderbolt. Note that the last entry was at Fairbanks, hence reference to waiting for weather to clear before flying to Russia, where they are now.

Yesterday the team crossed the Bering Strait and in doing so crossed the International Date Line, from GMT -12 Hrs to GMT +12 Hrs so it's Sunday there now. The weather looks fine at Anadyr Ugolny Airport now, though there is a possibility of some rain at around 6pm give or take a few hours. It's only 8am there just now.

I thought the next hop might be to Magadan Sokol Airport. On a basic level the weather looked okay but possible rain showers, mist and low cloud. Also possible Cumulo Nimbus in that area.

Last edited:

Latest Threads